UNT green brigade band debate

drex

look Chris, not being an ass at all, just tired of all the guys with inferiority complexes constantly whining about how little money NT grads make, how low we are compared to SMU grads, we can't do this, we can't do that. Every time someone makes a suggestion how to better things, these people throw out every excuse why we can't do it. It's no wonder why people have a low opinion of NT because our own grads do. Quit the damn whining about everything and have a little bit of pride in yourself and your school.

If you don't think to be rich and powerful in Dallas you should have gone to SMU --just talk to any alum or student. They will call UNT a jr. college, a commuter school , or a source of butlers and maids for the university park community. Their arrogance and attitude make them easy to despise!

• Upvote 1

If you don't think to be rich and powerful in Dallas you should have gone to SMU --just talk to any alum or student. They will call UNT a jr. college, a commuter school , or a source of butlers and maids for the university park community. Their arrogance and attitude make them easy to despise!

Who gives a damn what they say, doesn't mean we have to think it or agree with it. Almost every one of the pricks I know that went to SMU either their company paid for it or they got grants and /or student loans. I believe some on this board think they are greater than even they do.

Most college marching bands never travel their entire band. They take a tiny portion of the band for moral support. If UNT doesn't have 10k to travel 100 GB members then god bless the financial department at North Texas. I guess they have a few more locations pin pointed for our "above the rest for thous.." billboard they have been saving for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gezzz, what a lame attempt at a "trap" question.

I don't know how devoted the average Green Brigade member is to his/her Alma Mater. But from what I've observed and what I've heard regarding the current Band/MuED "culture", promoting school spirit is not job one for the people in charge of the Green Brigade. To me, what the band seems to be taught to do regarding school spirit comes across as "perfunctory".

I didn't get to go to the UTSA game, but I'd be willing to bet that the UTSA band kicked our ass.....school spirit wise.

Not a trap. Simple yes or no question.

Your answer leans one way, but you stopped juuuust short of saying "no".

EVERY. TIME. this topic comes up, you're on a soapbox by yourself, not thinking about the students who make up the Brigade. Rather, thinking only of your entertainment. Not every person in the Brigade will be a rabid football fan, but every time they pick that instrument up, their goal is to perform (re: entertain) their audience.

So, this same question (How much do they care about UNT?) pretty much trickles down to all other aspects of gameday too:

Are they NT Dancers there for your entertainment only? Do they show enough school spirit in what they're doing?

How 'bout the Talons?

Cheerleaders?

Scrappy?

And are these groups of students doing enough to entertain you during gameday?

are+you.png

• Upvote 5

Most college marching bands never travel their entire band. They take a tiny portion of the band for moral support. If UNT doesn't have 10k to travel 100 GB members then god bless the financial department at North Texas. I guess they have a few more locations pin pointed for our "above the rest for thous.." billboard they have been saving for.

The last year that Tulsa came to Fouts they brought a pep band of less than 100. I remember it well because toward the end of the game the starting QB for Tulsa got up in the stands and started directing the band. AND all through the game the Tulsa pep band made a bigger sound than the GB. And several people in the section that I was sitting in (around the 40 ) noticed it as well. As I was leaving the stadium via the field, I stopped by and mentioned it to the director. He started saying something about the acoustics of the stadium, but suddenly stopped and just gave me a curt "thank you for your input" and turned around. I suppose he suddenly realized that the acoustics were the same for the Tulsa pep band.

A GB pep band in Austin would certainly be preferable to none at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not a trap. Simple yes or no question.

Your answer leans one way, but you stopped juuuust short of saying "no".

EVERY. TIME. this topic comes up, you're on a soapbox by yourself, not thinking about the students who make up the Brigade. Rather, thinking only of your entertainment. Not every person in the Brigade will be a rabid football fan, but every time they pick that instrument up, their goal is to perform (re: entertain) their audience.

Good God, I might get on a soapbox from time to time, but at least I'm not a drama queen. If you have ever been in a marching band like I have, you would know that most directors can (and do) throw much more critical remarks at their band members than I ever have. And the members only play what they are told to play, and perform up to the expectations of their leader.... and I suppose the MuEd culture.

So, this same question (How much do they care about UNT?) pretty much trickles down to all other aspects of gameday too:

Are they NT Dancers there for your entertainment only? Do they show enough school spirit in what they're doing?

The Dancers are not out there to sell/ promote school spirit during half-time. And it's been that way since the first time they went out on the field as the Eagle Dolls. They take pride in their performance on the field, but they don't promote spirit until they change into their "song leader" outfits and shake their pom poms on the sideline. And in that role they are more effective than the Cheer-tumblers.

How 'bout the Talons?

You mean that spirit group ( :rolleyes: ) that barely gets enough members scraped together every fall just before the first game to put together a cannon crew? I know whereof I speak on this since I was in attendance at two different cannon crew training sessions conducted by FFR. BTW, the ROTC would love to have the job of being the cannon crew, and I am in favor of that.

Cheerleaders?

You mean that group of tumblers that does some generic cheers in between doing their tumbling exhibition? To give them some credit, they do a pretty good job on the "NORTH- TEXAS" cheer/chant. Except that they often drag it out too long.

Scrappy?

As a costumed mascot he does a great job.

And are these groups of students doing enough to entertain you during gameday?

Wrong question drama queen. The question is " am I filled with pride over the promotion of school spirit that the various student groups (but mainly the biggest one of all, the GB) display every gameday in the fall?" AND am I please with how they are trained to express school spirit by their sponsors/directors?

Mostly no.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Slow day at work so I can engage with you.

Thanks for clarifying, but it looks like you're moving around here...

The way you made it sound before was that the students in the GB were so apathetic about performing/being prideful in their University, that it showed in their horrible pageantry. Now, it kinda sounds like you may be laying the blame for the lack of pageantry, not at the feet of apathetic students, rather, apathetic MUEd leadership?

Yes I was in a band (granted that was a long time ago in H.S.), but just like the GB members, I was getting a grade for my performance.

If my directors have a plan for me, but I deviate and strip to a speedo with my H.S. logo painted on my chest, that's not going to go so well for me... although my school spirit would obviously be off the charts, and the crowd would be thoroughly entertained.

Also, I guess I don't understand the difference between the expectations of a GB halftime performance VS the dancers halftime performance. Wouldn't you say their expectations should be the same, just in different capacities? If the dancers can grab pom-poms and be cheering and showing school spirit during play [like the GB playing the fight song or rousing the crowd on a defensive 3rd down] and such... Then switch modes to showcase their dance routine that maybe doesn't have anything to do with school spirit or anything... Why can't the GB do the same thing?

As for what you say about the other groups... no comment :whistling1:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Same excuse as why they can't wear their band uniform? Too hot.

I anticipate that the Longwhorn band will be wearing polos, baseball caps and khaki shorts. Absolutely nothing wrong with the GB doing the same at the $MU game if the weather is just as hot. As long as all the polos and caps match..... AND they don't have that stupid enron-like logo on their caps.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I anticipate that the Longwhorn band will be wearing polos, baseball caps and khaki shorts. Absolutely nothing wrong with the GB doing the same at the $MU game if the weather is just as hot. As long as all the polos and caps match..... AND they don't have that stupid enron-like logo on their caps.

I think last year was the first year they had matching shorts and shirts for hot weather. I worked with a MGB mom and she told me they had to purchase the set.

• Upvote 1

What if they caw like a crow during the fight song?