Coach Mccarney state of the Mean Green Address

BillySee58

It's 100% self promotion and it's disgusting. This rise up that we are in the middle of is bigger than any of us and damn sure bigger than Mac. He needs to realize that.

Why? Our fan base still holds him to a standard of "better than Dodge".

North Texas fans have been conditioned to believe we're the fat girl in the bar. Even if the guy who scoops us up at 2am is a d-bag we're just appreciative to be gettin' some.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Why? Because this university is bigger than football. This football program is a representative of OUR university, not an egotistical head coach. He's appreciated and I am glad he jumped into the hole that was UNT and helped allow the program to climb out, but I want to hear less about what he has done and more about North Texas. GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Why? Our fan base still holds him to a standard of "better than Dodge".

North Texas fans have been conditioned to believe we're the fat girl in the bar. Even if the guy who scoops us up at 2am is a d-bag we're just appreciative to be gettin' some.

Emmitt,

You'll always be the fat girl to me.

:mom:

• Upvote 4

Yeah, I loved those days when we weren't the smallest, slowest FBS teams in America....you know, the teams that finished 2-9, 3-9. 2-10, 1-11, 2-10, 3-9 (I think).

Those fast, big dudes....good old days.

I will live in the present, take these players, these coaches.

As for this particular head coach: this guy cares as much about my team as any coach I have gotten to see at NT (I missed the Fry years, and before). It is as much his team as it is mine. Before him, coaches borrowed my team and usually borrowers return it in worse shape than when they took it. I willingly share this team with this coach, and he shares it with me. And it comes back to me better than before. Sucks, huh?

And by the way, back in those days, I supported the hell out of those players AND those coaches too, even those coaches I didn't think so much of.

Flame away but,

GMG

We were the most poorly coached team in FBS, but not the slowest and smallest. But if Mac said that, he knows he would sound really egotistical plus it would be a direct shot at Dodge.

Just go back and look at the size of the DL in Dodge's last 2 years. We will be MUCH smaller this year.

The "smallest, slowest team in FBS" is pure fantasy. That doesn't mean I don't really like Mac and respect what he has done here. It's simply coach speak. I don't know why it's so difficult for people to realize that..

And why does everything in this board have to be 100 percent this way or 100 percent the other way. That really isn't how life works, you know.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

Yeah, I loved those days when we weren't the smallest, slowest FBS teams in America....you know, the teams that finished 2-9, 3-9. 2-10, 1-11, 2-10, 3-9 (I think).

Those fast, big dudes....good old days.

I will live in the present, take these players, these coaches.

As for this particular head coach: this guy cares as much about my team as any coach I have gotten to see at NT (I missed the Fry years, and before). It is as much his team as it is mine. Before him, coaches borrowed my team and usually borrowers return it in worse shape than when they took it. I willingly share this team with this coach, and he shares it with me. And it comes back to me better than before. Sucks, huh?

And by the way, back in those days, I supported the hell out of those players AND those coaches too, even those coaches I didn't think so much of.

Flame away but,

GMG

For the love of God people. Where the F do we come up with the idea that asking Mac to give the "they were nothing before me" shtick a rest is "not supporting the team and coach"? I'd venture to say you'd find some of the biggest die hards in that exact crowd.

It's really quite simple. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, already knows we had a rough history in football. Anyone who cares enough to pay us any attention is aware and Google exists for the rest of them. Having our head coach (on the heels of a season should be our promotions depts wet dream) come out right before the season and say:

1) We've sucked historically against SMU...but pack Apogee if you're a real fan!!

2) None of our players were good enough for UT (and they're liars if they say different)...but tune in!!!

3) we were picked first in CUSA West...that's crazy!!!

That's just pointless. Coach speak is useful when you're NOT coming off a bowl win where 35,000 of your fans finally showed up. How is this hard to understand?

We now return to our regularly scheduled "you don't appreciate Mac cuz HE'S BETTER THAN DODGE" parade. You can feel free to tell me when I'm camped out the night before the SMU game not being sufficiently supportive.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

For the love of God people. Where the F do we come up with the idea that asking Mac to give the "they were nothing before me" shtick a rest is "not supporting the team and coach"? I'd venture to say you'd find some of the biggest die hards in that exact crowd.

It's really quite simple. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, already knows we had a rough history in football. Anyone who cares enough to pay us any attention is aware and Google exists for the rest of them. Having our head coach (on the heels of a season should be our promotions depts wet dream) come out right before the season and say:

1) We've sucked historically against SMU...but pack Apogee if you're a real fan!!

2) None of our players were good enough for UT (and they're liars if they say different)...but tune in!!!

That's just pointless. Coach speak is useful when you're NOT coming off a bowl win where 35,000 of your fans finally showed up. How is this hard to understand?

We now return to our regularly scheduled "you don't appreciate Mac cuz HE'S BETTER THAN DODGE" parade. You can feel free to tell me when I'm camped out the night before the SMU game not being sufficiently supportive.

Preachin

I completely agree. Coach Mac has done a phenomenal job turning this program around and I love that we have him, but this kind of thing isn't helpful. Others have said the reasons why and I don't think I need to pile on.

We need to be generating interest in the program by telling people, "Something special is happening in Denton, you don't want to miss out."

• Upvote 1

It's 100% self promotion and it's disgusting. This rise up that we are in the middle of is bigger than any of us and damn sure bigger than Mac. He needs to realize that.

What's so wrong with self-promotion? It's not like he's wrong...

And would you rather him come out and say "Yeah, we have a lot of challenges to get through, and to be honest I'm not sure if I can out-coach these other guys. Our guys are talented, but I might hold them back."

EVEN if that was true, there's no coach in history from elementary P.E. to NFL that would say anything remotely close to that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What's so wrong with self-promotion? It's not like he's wrong...

And would you rather him come out and say "Yeah, we have a lot of challenges to get through, and to be honest I'm not sure if I can out-coach these other guys. Our guys are talented, but I might hold them back."

EVEN if that was true, there's no coach in history from elementary P.E. to NFL that would say anything remotely close to that.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

So what I'm feeling is that everybody's butt hurt because they think that Mac is indirectly implying that he's bigger than North Texas and he's doing us a big favor by being here? Is that the jist?

Not really. He is engaging in coach speak and trying to motivate his players by pointing out SMU has historically owned us and UT didnt want anyone besides Terrell on their team.

Problem is, don't do that in the media when we are still trying to sell tickets and get new fans in the stadium. Pointing out how bad we sucked is just re-enforcing some alumus' views and isn't going to get them in Apogee (trust me, I know several who always kid me about being a fan).

Say it to your players. Hell, say it to season ticket holders, but don't freaking roll it out there to the DFW media and discourage attendance!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

Not really. He is engaging in coach speak and trying to motivate his players by pointing out SMU has historically owned us and UT didnt want anyone besides Terrell on their team.

Problem is, don't do that in the media when we are still trying to sell tickets and get new fans in the stadium. Pointing out how bad we sucked is just re-enforcing some alumus' views and isn't going to get them in Apogee (trust me, I know several who always kid me about being a fan).

Say it to your players. Hell, say it to season ticket holders, but don't freaking roll it out there to the DFW media and discourage attendance!

This. Thanks, 90.

Answered. Thanks, 90!

Look forward to hanging with you in Austin!

• Upvote 1