Texas skill players

BillySee58

Jaxon Shipley suffered a hamstring injury. If he is out 3 weeks, that would put him out right before our game. Even if he could play, hard to imagine him being 100%

Here's an article on their situation at receiver.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2014/8/6/5975861/jaxon-shipley-hamstring-injury-texas-longhorns

Their top 4 leading returning receivers were Shipley, Kendall Sanders, Marcus Johnson, and Daje Johnson. Sanders was dismissed from the team, Marcus Johnson just had a minor surgery, Daje Johnson will be suspended against us, and Shipley's status against us appears to be in doubt. Not to mention Receiver Montrel Meander was also dismissed along with Sanders, and Meander was expected to be in Texas' two deep.

Throw in the fact that Texas' 3rd back/short yardage back Joe Bergeron and 4th back Jalen Overstreet were both dismissed, and freshman running back Kevin Shorter was forced to give up football due to injuries. Texas' depth at the skill positions is looking extremely thin.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

And just 3 total scholarship running backs, Brown, Gray, and true freshman Donald Catalom. 3 running backs will be more of a challenge over the course of the season than against us, but still.

Yes a challenge over the long haul, because their offense is going to be dedicated to the run.

Against us you have to certainly like the matchups on the outside for UNT. I felt good about them before the Shipley injury. I feel like our DBs can hold their own.

You have to imagine that the game plans for both teams will be similar. Both defenses are going load the box. Both offenses are going to rely heavily on the run. Who wins up front, and which QB plays the best?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vegas line of 24.5 come down to 20 or 19, by August 30th.

In the very least, this game will reveal a lot about how UT depth compares to UNT depth.

We always say our starters can hold up with anyone and it always ends up being a depth issue against the top tier programs. This game jumps straight into that side of the pool.

Can't wait.

• Upvote 2

That's big. Outside of Shipley they really dont have a #1 WR. This is really going to be the Malcolm Brown/Gray show.

Yeah, the Shipley situation helps, but the Brown/Gray show still has the potential to be a heck of a show, especially with our unproven new defense. I think we all understand how a good running game can really pound & wear out a defense, just like we've been doing to others for a few years. I sure hope we have what it takes to keep them in check.

Yeah, the Shipley situation helps, but the Brown/Gray show still has the potential to be a heck of a show, especially with our unproven new defense. I think we all understand how a good running game can really pound & wear out a defense, just like we've been doing to others for a few years. I sure hope we have what it takes to keep them in check.

UNT's S&C program > UT's S&C program?

• Upvote 1

I just hope play calling is aggressive. If we try to go toe to toe on the LOS for 4 quarters we will lose. By all means run the ball and play aggressive, but we can't go run, run, pass and lean on our D for 4 quarters..in a game such as this it's a recipe for disaster. GMG

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

Looks like Gray is listed as "probable" for our game:

http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/

Woah. More notable, that report says Kennedy Estelle has been dismissed. I missed that. Last I read, was this article saying him, Daje Johnson, and Desmond Harrison were down to their last strikes. I knew Harrison and Johnson were suspended for at least the game against us, but I never knew Estelle was dismissed.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/07/report-three-more-texas-football-players-facing-suspension.html/

Those two were expected to be the starting tackles this year for them, on an offensive line low in experience. And their backups are both very inexperienced. I believe one is a redshirt freshman and the other is a redshirt sophomore who hasn't played at all.

As for Gray, he's coming off tearing his Achilles. He should be good to go against us, but that's a serious injury. Should be interesting to see how effective he can be in his first game back.

Edited by BillySee58

As for Gray, he's coming off tearing his Achilles. He should be good to go against us, but that's a serious injury. Should be interesting to see how effective he can be in his first game back.

For sure. Wondering if there is a chance that he'll be on a pitch count until he's mentally 100%.