Six questions for North Texas training camp

Harry

1 Who will play QB? With Derek Thompson graduating, Head Coach Dan McCarney needs to figure out who will take over. Mac says it's wide open but said junior Andrew McNulty and sophomore Josh Greer will run mostly with the first teams. Look for one of those two to get the nod in the opener against Texas and have the best chance to take over the reigns early.

2 Will the defense stay strong? North Texas lost some key contributors from last seasons top notch defense in linebackers Zach Orr, Will Wright and safety Marcus Trice. Orr and Trice are competing in NFL camps now. The defensive line lost all four starters. No one expects this defense to match last years right away but how close they can come will say a lot about how well this team fares in 2014.

3 Turnovers and Injuries? UNT was 15th in the country last season in turnover margin. In addition, they had one of the healthiest seasons in terms of key players lost to injury the program has ever seen. Again, matching this is likely impossible but coming close would come a long way to providing them with more wins than losses.

4 Special Teams? Coach Tommy Perry fielded one of the best special teams units in UNT history last season. Much focus is on who will replace return phenom Brelan Chancellor - who is now with the San Diego Chargers. Perhaps more important is how the coverage teams will fare and if punter Blake Macek is able to have another great season.

5 Wide Receiver? UNT lost their top two wide receivers in Darnell Smith and Brelan Chancellor. Talented junior Carlos Harris returns in the slot but the Mean Green really need someone to step up and provide a speed threat on the outside to keep defenses honest. True freshman Tee Goree from Carthage is getting a lot of attention from the coaches and fans as he was likely the highest profile recruit UNT landed in their 2014 recruiting class.

6 Leaders? UNT lost some great players but also lost the top leaders on the entire team with the graduation of Zach Orr, Marcus Trice, Brandin Bryd and Brelan Chancellor. Linebacker Derek Akunne looks ready to step up on defense, but the offensive and special teams spots remain pretty wide open.

1 Who will play QB? With Derek Thompson graduating, Head Coach Dan McCarney needs to figure out who will take over. Mac says it's wide open but said junior Andrew McNulty and sophomore Josh Greer will run mostly with the first teams. Look for one of those two to get the nod in the opener against Texas and have the best chance to take over the reigns early.

Does anyone have the same feeling that I do, in that the coaches roasted Dajon in the offseason in an attempt to break him down in order to build him up because they knew he was going to be the guy all along?

I just get a feeling that this is how Mac works...he brought in Greer in case it didn't work, but it looks like Williams bulked up a little over summer (by roster measurements), and Mac keeps making it a point to mention that he is still in the middle of the race.

Mac isn't the type of coach to just anoint a guy, but at the end of the day, he is a Mac recruit, who almost won the job as a true freshman last year.

I don't know, but I have a hunch that he wants Williams to feel he needs to earn it, but will be the guy in the end.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Does anyone have the same feeling that I do, in that the coaches roasted Dajon in the offseason in an attempt to break him down in order to build him up because they knew he was going to be the guy all along?

I just get a feeling that this is how Mac works...he brought in Greer in case it didn't work, but it looks like Williams bulked up a little over summer (by roster measurements), and Mac keeps making it a point to mention that he is still in the middle of the race.

Mac isn't the type of coach to just anoint a guy, but at the end of the day, he is a Mac recruit, who almost won the job as a true freshman last year.

I don't know, but I have a hunch that he wants Williams to feel he needs to earn it, but will be the guy in the end.

I really really really really really really hope you are right, but I feel that Mac thinks DJ takes far too many chances with that new offensive weapon, the forward pass.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I really really really really really really hope you are right, but I feel that Mac thinks DJ takes far too many chances with that new offensive weapon, the forward pass.

I know Mac likes to run the ball, but it isn't like we don't throw the ball anymore. If the team is winning games, 7 or more a season, I don't care what the offense is to be honest

• Upvote 2

Lots of people we're saying the same thing about DT before last season.

DT was just an average QB who had good players around him. I am unsure what Mcnulty has around him at this point. He could be worse than DT with the weapons we have to offer this season. There are lots of question marks with so many lost starters. I am still hoping for 8 and 4 season, but with McNulty that would definitely be in question.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I have some theories about the coaches and the qb situation. Skladany and Mac have been together since Iowa state. They run the team and philosophy. They are old school.

I feel Mac wants a running QB and he is the reason we run the qb. He has stated he does not want a statue at qb. At Iowa state, he was successful with sage rosenfels and Seneca Wallace. Both were athletic qbs that could run with average passing skills. Then at Florida, they won a ship with tebo. Tebo was pretty much a rb that could throw.

I feel if Mac and skladany had thier total way, the offense would have an athletic qb that could run first based on past history.

Chico wants a smart qb. He always mention Philip rivers and his smarts. He only wants to run to keep defenses honest. I think chico wants a pocket passing qb and a open offense. What we have been seeing is a bad compromise of two philosophies. It would be better if they decided on one system or the other instead of having all these qbs with different skills. I would rather have a true dual threat runner if we are going to run the ball with the qb. I feel chico has the issue with dajon more than Mac.

I think we end up with another compromise at qb. McNulty.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I will take the ground game all day long over the aerial assault we enjoyed before it.

If you went back and looked at the Dodge years (like anyone ever wants to do that), I think you would be shocked by how even the run/pass stats were.

The only gripe I have with Mac is the 1st down pass/run ratio. I'd like sonething close to 50/50.

Keep them guessing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Come on people, every one loves to talk QB but don't get too worried about it.

Let's put Grandma behind this OL; we would be fine.

Again, when other teams are playing 8 and 9 guys in the box, it's hard to run the football, no matter how great your O-line is. This was demonstrated time and again last year.

I will be SHOCKED if McNulty is not the starting QB. He knows the offense better than the others. That puts him at #1 with this staff.

Get ready for some really conservative football....especially early in the season. Too many question marks with the lack of starting experience returning.

This OLine, with the returning RBs (Jimmy & Peagram), inexperienced QB, inexperienced starting front 7, McCarney's hatred of turnovers, and unproven special teams play makers = run run run run run and run some more.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

Again, when other teams are playing 8 and 9 guys in the box, it's hard to run the football, no matter how great your O-line is. This was demonstrated time and again last year.

And you don't think that, bare minimum, our starter will be able to keep defenses honest?

I happen to think DJ has that ability, I read he's up to 200 lbs, and apparently we have at least 2 guys that the coaches think are even better.

• Upvote 1

Hard to do it to the tune of 9-4 and a bowl win.

Point taken.

But with great defensive and special teams play. Go back and look at the Rice game.

Hopefully if we don't have that defense and special teams this year, Coach Mac will adjust his coaching style, but with an unproven QB, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Point taken.

But with great defensive and special teams play. Go back and look at the Rice game.

Hopefully if we don't have that defense and special teams this year, Coach Mac will adjust his coaching style, but with an unproven QB, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Agreed. It is a team effort. I watched a Dodge team break some records against Navy offensively only to lose the game defensively.

Agreed. It is a team effort. I watched a Dodge team break some records against Navy offensively only to lose the game defensively.

Yep. You need to play well on both sides of the ball. I just happen to think its easier to play better on offense when the other team doesn't have a really good idea what you are going to do on 1st down. Edited by UNT90

Mac, (really skladany) will not change thier coaching style. It is up to chico to adjust and come up with a plan that is not predictable.

Run, run, pass is not new to football. Plenty of teams have pulled it off with success.

Our problem is, we havent been fully dedicated to being great at running or throwing. We have no identity on offense.

The only way we can pull off running on every first down, is to have a great athletic qb so teams cannot key on the rb. Or have two backs in the backfield. Just because you run doesnt mean it has to be as predictable as we are.

With only 9 starters back, what can we realistically expect in won/loss column this season?

Im expecting 8 wins. Its still relative to the competition and the schedule.

So miss returning more starters from a 1-11 team does not make me think we will lose to them.

UAB returns more starters. Who cares? They went 2-10.

FIU has more. They went 1-11. UTEP...2-10...

I would only be concerned about returning starters from a good, or at least average team.

We complain about our leaders leaving, like its not happening at the other schools. Our QB situation...rice, utsa, smu, etc also have unproven qbs.

• Upvote 2