MGB: Breaking news -- UNT's Chris Jones to transfer

Jones graduate business college is highly ranked. Agree or disagree?

Frankly, no. In the world of the MBA if you are not considered top ten you are in the also ran category. MBA programs themselves are a bit of a cottage industry within education. It would cost you about 100k to get an MBA at Rice. Not much different at Texas. I promise you if you have a mid to upper tier job currently and showed a pulse when you took the GMAT, you will be accepted into the Rice MBA program.(with your checkbook in hand) We could also go into how many employers do not hold an MBA in high regard anymore. Whatever. Regardless of all that BS, I am not trying to start a pissing match. I am just saying that no, Rice has never been known for business. They are an incredible institution that produced Nobel prize winners and two of my girlfriends. The Business school is more of a profit center.

Edited by HoustonEagle

Rick has already responded to me and I thought ya'll would be interested in his response (there's no promise of relief):

Thanks for your e-mail. I know it's hard to understand the last two seasons but you have to be inside to really know what has happened and is going on. I did the same thing with Johnny in his first three years when he had arguably one of the best players ever, Chris Davis and he still didn't win for five years. Look how long it took Kermit Davis at MTSU.

As in football, I believed it would take time. A year ago people were complaining that Dan may not be the right guy. Of course three years in it is different. And Dan had to do it getting rid of some good players left by the former staff and adding his own.

Tony wasn't left with as much as people think and Chris' s leaving was for selfish reasons not playing reasons. I believed in Johnny and I know I had to give him time to make it work.Once it did it lasted a while. I think we owe Tony the same. I hope you'll support that through this year.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Rick V

I understand realistic expections, but why is RV comparing UNT to Kermit Davis and MTSU.. Davis has one NCAA tournament appearance and that was in 2013. Does he really want to wait 11 years for another postseason appearance?

How can RV compare Benford to Mac.. Mac was inspiring his current players to buy into the system and used his senior leadership to keep the momentum going. Benford is kicking everyone out, including the seniors. To make matters worst, he's blaming everyone else but himself.

I'm sorry but that's not a good response. To anyone else that thinks differently.. I'm sorry

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I understand realistic expections, but why is RV comparing UNT to Kermit Davis and MTSU.. Davis has one NCAA tournament appearance and that was in 2013. Does he really want to wait 11 years for another postseason appearance?

Davis also didn't have a losing season until he was about five years into his tenure at MUTS, which was in fact his only losing season in 11 years. He also took over a team that was 19-37 the two years before he got there. Benford took over a team that was a combined 40-25 before he got there.

Davis' first two years, MUTS went 33-26. Benford's first two years, 28-36.

Not a good comparison.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

Jones earns fourth LSC honor of the season.

http://www.angelosports.com/news/2015/1/12/MBB_0112150839.aspx?path=mbball

Angelo State improved to 13-1 after being #3 ranked Tarleton State 78-60. Jones was named conference defensive player of the week for the 2nd straight week. And is second in the nation in steals.

But what does his coach think about this player who left North Texas for "selfish reasons".

"'Chris Jones is a winner,' ASU head coach Chris Beard said. 'He is ONE OF THE MOST HUMBLE UNSELFISH PEOPLE AND BEST TEAMMATES I'VE EVER COACHED. Obviously he is a special basketball player. He is very talented, he works very hard at his game, HE IS A TEAM PLAYER, HE WANTS TO BE COACHED HARD DAILY, AND HE IS TOUGH BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY."'

Coach Beard must've thought he was asked about someone else. Not former North Texas guard Chris Jones. Not the guy who left for selfish reasons. Not the guy who was apart of two cancerous locker rooms that were the sole reason the great Tony Benford had a losing record in conference play the last two years.

I like you, Billy.

• Upvote 2

Angelo State improved to 13-1 after being #3 ranked Tarleton State 78-60. Jones was named conference defensive player of the week for the 2nd straight week. And is second in the nation in steals.

But what does his coach think about this player who left North Texas for "selfish reasons".

"'Chris Jones is a winner,' ASU head coach Chris Beard said. 'He is ONE OF THE MOST HUMBLE UNSELFISH PEOPLE AND BEST TEAMMATES I'VE EVER COACHED. Obviously he is a special basketball player. He is very talented, he works very hard at his game, HE IS A TEAM PLAYER, HE WANTS TO BE COACHED HARD DAILY, AND HE IS TOUGH BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY."'

Coach Beard must've thought he was asked about someone else. Not former North Texas guard Chris Jones. Not the guy who left for selfish reasons. Not the guy who was apart of two cancerous locker rooms that were the sole reason the great Tony Benford had a losing record in conference play the last two years.

Cue KRAM with hard-hitting, precise commentary on how you just couldn't be correct......

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Angelo State improved to 13-1 after beating #3 ranked Tarleton State 78-60. Jones was named conference defensive player of the week for the 2nd straight week. And is second in the nation in steals.

Come on now, Billy.

RV said it was the players fault, and several on here have made it very clear that RV doesn't lie to the fans...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Come on now, Billy.

RV said it was the players fault, and several on here have made it very clear that RV doesn't lie to the fans...

Now come on now. RV said that Chris Jones was "working on" being a locker room cancer. Just because he hasn't been a locker room cancer yet it doesn't mean he was lying.

• Upvote 1

It's good to see chris having sucess. With Reese not being eligible it would have been nice to have Chris over Ward (injury). Hopfuelly we can also have some players catch fire and be succesful for us here at UNT this season.

You have your timeline very wrong. I saw you posted one time in another thread that Jones left because of Reese. That's not true at all. Reese didn't come into the picture until late June. Jones announced his transferring in early June.

Also, if Jones wouldn't have transferred then Ward wouldn't have been the player left out. He signed back in fall 2013. We were full on scholarships before Jones left. We wouldn't have had room for Reese. Although Benford did drop Trey Norris before the 2012-2013 school year started to make room for TJ Taylor.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You have your timeline very wrong. I saw you posted one time in another thread that Jones left because of Reese. That's not true at all. Reese didn't come into the picture until late June. Jones announced his transferring in early June.

Also, if Jones wouldn't have transferred then Ward wouldn't have been the player left out. He signed back in fall 2013. We were full on scholarships before Jones left. We wouldn't have had room for Reese. Although Benford did drop Trey Norris before the 2012-2013 school year started to make room for TJ Taylor.

And why would we not have broken ways with Ward or Eaglin? I think any team if they could choose would have taken jones over either of them. That is if they had to choice..... Jones clearly wanted out so we did not.

And why would we not have broken ways with Ward or Eaglin? I think any team if they could choose would have taken jones over either of them. That is if they had to choice..... Jones clearly wanted out so we did not.

You're still not understanding the timeline. The choice would not have been Ward/Eaglin or Jones. It would've been Ward/Eaglin or Reese. Before Jones left we had a full roster with Jones on the roster and Ward and Eaglin signed (and I believe at least Eaglin was already on campus when Reese visited).

And we would've had to release Ward or Eaglin from their LOIs to get Reese. Which, like I said, is not something that looks good on you as a coach. But we already did it with Trey Norris before. I don't think Benford has much of a reputation to keep intact.

You're still not understanding the timeline. The choice would not have been Ward/Eaglin or Jones. It would've been Ward/Eaglin or Reese. Before Jones left we had a full roster with Jones on the roster and Ward and Eaglin signed (and I believe at least Eaglin was already on campus when Reese visited).

And we would've had to release Ward or Eaglin from their LOIs to get Reese. Which, like I said, is not something that looks good on you as a coach. But we already did it with Trey Norris before. I don't think Benford has much of a reputation to keep intact.

When has that stopped him before? Maybe your Not understanding that he set the precedent that he has no problem cutting ties with a signed recruit to get a better player. There are a lot of coaches that do it. Is it the best option? Not sure.... But transfers are pretty huge for s team like UNT in basketball. Mid major programs are going to have to go after transfers and JUCO players and hope a few freshman pan out over time. Edited by Andrew

CJ could have gone down as a UNT HOFer in my book. He just worked in the shadow of Mitchell.

I'm beginning to think Mitchell was overrated. Never performed to his potential...and now out of the NBA after a lackluster year plus...

• Upvote 4

I'm beginning to think Mitchell was overrated. Never performed to his potential...and now out of the NBA after a lackluster year plus...

He had all em potential in the world but no hustle. No hustle and weak fundamentals won't get you far. CJ and JW were much better overall players who together could have done great things with any coach.