Have we fired McCarney and Canales yet?

For the high crime of not just naming Dajon Williams the starter? Why all of this fuss about what he does in the weight room and on the field in practice and scrimmages?

Haven't McCarney and Canales seen his youtube highlights yet? They're at least as good, if not better, than Brock Berglund's...and that guy was ranked right up there with Johnny Manziel...the "athletic" QB who can jump almost as high as "unathletic" Derek Thompson.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 5

This is such gold for these kids to read.

If they would get into the weight room, read the playbook, and put in more time watching game film instead of worrying about what is written on a fan message board among fans...

...ya hear what I'm sezin'?

Avril Lavigne would probably tell them, "Life's like this": some people say they don't give a f*ck about what people think and get a job done, other people really don't give a f*ck what people think and get a job done.

It's all about motivation, brah.

Where does the answer lie: living day to day? If it's something we can't buy, there must be another way. OR Where does the answer lie? Living day to day, if it's something we can't buy, there must be another way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No one has mentioned firing either of them. No one really cares who the QB is as long as wins are produced. Is the verdict still out? In my opinion, yes. 4-8, 5-7, and then a great year at 9-4 is to me acceptable standards. What do we do if we go 5-7 or 6-6 this year? What then? Say he's rebuilding in his fourth year on the job? In the year he is suppose to completely have his recruits fully into his system and lay an egg? What then? That's my only question. North Texas had a good year with a lot of the production coming from players that McCarney didn't recruit. At 18-19 with a season coming up that many are speculating as a 6-6 season is not acceptable standards in a season or in a 4 year span. I don't care how bad the program was when he took it over. 6-6 in year 4 is unacceptable. What then after this year? Is the trend going to keep being he's rebuilding the program even going into his 5th year? When is the line drawn? I don't care who the QB. We could run wildcat 12/12 games and I wouldn't care. Just win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

No one has mentioned firing either of them. No one really cares who the QB is as long as wins are produced. Is the verdict still out? In my opinion, yes. 4-8, 5-7, and then a great year at 9-4 is to me acceptable standards. What do we do if we go 5-7 or 6-6 this year? What then? Say he's rebuilding in his fourth year on the job? In the year he is suppose to completely have his recruits fully into his system and lay an egg? What then? That's my only question. North Texas had a good year with a lot of the production coming from players that McCarney didn't recruit. At 18-19 with a season coming up that many are speculating as a 6-6 season is not acceptable standards in a season or in a 4 year span. I don't care how bad the program was when he took it over. 6-6 in year 4 is unacceptable. What then after this year? Is the trend going to keep being he's rebuilding the program even going into his 5th year? When is the line drawn? I don't care who the QB. We could run wildcat 12/12 games and I wouldn't care. Just win.

Hard to believe Oklahoma didn't fire Stoops in 2001 and Texas didn't fire Brown in 2006. They never could build it right twice. All of those wasted seasons for UT and OU fans. Hope they had fun at the tailgates.

Personally, after wandering in the desert from 2005-2012, I know that if we go 6-6, I will be sitting outside Apogee in sackcloth and ashes, scraping myself with pottery shards over the shame McCarney and Canales will have brought the program.

We should all curse God and die now so that we won't have to live through such abominable times. How could we possibly live with ourselves and show our faces in public (not to mention among family and friends) if McCarney and Canales lead to back-to-back bowl seasons...with "unathletic" quarterbacks?

• Upvote 5

Ben bit hard and and dove in head first.

Maybe, but those are the questions that need to be asked. I don't understand how the hell questions like that haven't been asked already to be honest. How does McCarney and all of his GMG given glory not have a QB in the wings. Had to run out and get a JUCO QB in his 4th recruiting season? That's great for the depth chart, but now he's a legitmate candidate for starting. That's a red flag. What if DW dips out if/when he's sitting at 3rd on the depth chart and Greer ends up being sub-par? What then? Recruiting JUCO QB's, QB's transferring out, and no clear cut guy is a major issue that can turn into a multi-year dominio effect.

• Downvote 3

Funny post!! Amazing some people actually bite. (Face palm)

I knew it was a sarcastic post, but it brings up a point. Some idiots will be saying he's still rebuilding going into his 5th year. The same idiots will be saying that McCarney is rebuilding going into his 7th year sitting at a 34-40 record at North Texas. I just hope they find a guy, find him fast, and give him all the reps in the fall, all of them. Because the outcome of this season lies fully on McCarneys shoulders.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hard to believe Oklahoma didn't fire Stoops in 2001 and Texas didn't fire Brown in 2006. They never could build it right twice. All of those wasted seasons for UT and OU fans. Hope they had fun at the tailgates.

Personally, after wandering in the desert from 2005-2012, I know that if we go 6-6, I will be sitting outside Apogee in sackcloth and ashes, scraping myself with pottery shards over the shame McCarney and Canales will have brought the program.

We should all curse God and die now so that we won't have to live through such abominable times. How could we possibly live with ourselves and show our faces in public (not to mention among family and friends) if McCarney and Canales lead to back-to-back bowl seasons...with "unathletic" quarterbacks?

I understand going 6-6 gets us in a bowl, if we're lucky. But it's still 6-6 and 6-6 sucks.

• Downvote 1

Maybe, but those are the questions that need to be asked. I don't understand how the hell questions like that haven't been asked already to be honest. How does McCarney and all of his GMG given glory not have a QB in the wings. Had to run out and get a JUCO QB in his 4th recruiting season? That's great for the depth chart, but now he's a legitmate candidate for starting. That's a red flag. What if DW dips out if/when he's sitting at 3rd on the depth chart and Greer ends up being sub-par? What then? Recruiting JUCO QB's, QB's transferring out, and no clear cut guy is a major issue that can turn into a multi-year dominio effect.

how have we not asked why McCarney did not bring in a 5 Star recruit his first two years here? UNT was clearly the best looking school in all the land! we had just pulled off 5 and 4 win seasons!

we need to ask more hypothetical questions about things! What are we going to do if all the players decide that green is not their color?

what if McCarney's alleged 'assistants' leave to take jobs at Washington St.? How will this 'guru' fix that?

what if the turf in Apogee starts coming loose?

what if the sale of Beth Marie's is no more inside Apogee?

what if McCarney bans all cannon-fire in the stadium???

• Upvote 3

how have we not asked why McCarney did not bring in a 5 Star recruit his first two years here? UNT was clearly the best looking school in all the land! we had just pulled off 5 and 4 win seasons!

we need to ask more hypothetical questions about things! What are we going to do if all the players decide that green is not their color?

what if McCarney's alleged 'assistants' leave to take jobs at Washington St.? How will this 'guru' fix that?

what if the turf in Apogee starts coming loose?

what if the sale of Beth Marie's is no more inside Apogee?

what if McCarney bans all cannon-fire in the stadium???

My season tickets will be promptly mailed back.

My memory must be failing. I thought Mac brought in what was supposed to be the second coming of Manziel and then added one of the top rated QBs in the state of TX? How dare he struggle bringing in highly rated talent at QB.

I need to go back and check the interwebs.

• Upvote 1

This board was virtually unanimous (including myself) that Derek Thompson could not lead us to a winning season let alone win a bowl game. I recall posting, possibly starting an entire thread, on the topic of "we are screwed if Derek Thompson is our quarterback." The coaches thought otherwise, and made him the starter only to realize the best season at UNT in ages. I am going to trust the coaches on the QB pick this time around. I think the coaches have earned my trust and respect, and I hope that others will take a similar approach.

• Upvote 2

Yet. I think what TFLF is getting at is that this decision is so egregious that the only recourse should be the firing of Mac, Canales and Benford.

...and RV. You forgot about the scoundrel who hired them all to begin with! I'm beginning to think that the real conspiracy is Rick trying to undermine the whole program for the sake of his old employer, Southern Miss!

But, like in the movie Major League, he was foiled by the overachieving dolts of 2013!.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

...and RV. You forgot about the scoundrel who hired them all to begin with! I'm beginning to think that the real conspiracy is Rick trying to undermine the whole program for the sake of his old employer, Southern Miss!

But, like in the movie Major League, he was foiled by the overachieving dolts of 2013!.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

I knew it was a sarcastic post, but it brings up a point. Some idiots will be saying he's still rebuilding going into his 5th year. The same idiots will be saying that McCarney is rebuilding going into his 7th year sitting at a 34-40 record at North Texas. I just hope they find a guy, find him fast, and give him all the reps in the fall, all of them. Because the outcome of this season lies fully on McCarneys shoulders.

So your coaching advice would be to go into a season with backups who have gotten no reps in the fall, none of them?

• Upvote 1