No Coaches Caravan in Fort Worth?

817Fan

Probably going to Gainesville trying to attract new people that might actually show up to games.

A 20-something minute scoot down I-35 from G-ville is a whole helluva lot easier than trying to trek up through the abysmal traffic and construction from Funky Town. And come on, think about it. That's a whole city/area close by that you could possibly get behind the program. At least worth a shot.

Edited by TheWestie
  • Upvote 1

So you're going to abandon the western half of the metroplex to cater to Gainsville. Outstanding.

You are the first to say cater, nobody else did. KRAM1 specifically said the last several caravans to Ft. Worth had terrible attendance. What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and.... never mind, you know the rest.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are the first to say cater, nobody else did. KRAM1 specifically said the last several caravans to Ft. Worth had terrible attendance. What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and.... never mind, you know the rest.

That quote has become so entrenched in our popular culture that it will probably never be corrected. According to one of my psychology professors at NT, "doing the same thing over and over again (in response to a stressful or problematic situation...usually worrying and or fretting) and expecting and/or hoping for a different outcome is the definition of a NEUROTIC". Neurotic behavior also includes OCD behavior. It's not insane behavior per se, but if any of us has to live with someone like that, it would certainly drive us crazy.

I have also heard someone muse "How does the popular definition of insanity" jibe with another popular saying in our culture "If at first you don't succeed....try, try, again". How many parents have preached that to their offspring and unwittingly set them on a course of behavior that causes the rest of society to regard them as crazy.

Oh well...

I can't find much to criticize the athletic department in having a rural or "outlying" stop in their caravan. Coming from a small town myself I have to say that if you get those people hooked on North Texas football they will show up much more consistently, and enthusiastically, than most city folk. AND in perusing our football roster I find the following communities represented.....

Era, Muenster, prosper (not so small anymore), Lucas and Sanger. In the past, we've also had a player or so from Whitesboro and Whitewright.

• Upvote 2

That quote has become so entrenched in our popular culture that it will probably never be corrected. According to one of my psychology professors at NT, "doing the same thing over and over again (in response to a stressful or problematic situation...usually worrying and or fretting) and expecting and/or hoping for a different outcome is the definition of a NEUROTIC". Neurotic behavior also includes OCD behavior. It's not insane behavior per se, but if any of us has to live with someone like that, it would certainly drive us crazy.

I have also heard someone muse "How does the popular definition of insanity" jibe with another popular saying in our culture "If at first you don't succeed....try, try, again". How many parents have preached that to their offspring and unwittingly set them on a course of behavior that causes the rest of society to regard them as crazy.

Oh well...

I can't find much to criticize the athletic department in having a rural or "outlying" stop in their caravan. Coming from a small town myself I have to say that if you get those people hooked on North Texas football they will show up much more consistently, and enthusiastically, than most city folk. AND in perusing our football roster I find the following communities represented.....

Era, Muenster, prosper (not so small anymore), Lucas and Sanger. In the past, we've also had a player or so from Whitesboro and Whitewright.

So in a roundabout, long winded, indirect way, you agree we should reach out to places we think are going to bring in more fans and more support? Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 1

Abandoning the 16th largest city in America, which just happens to sit 37 miles from Denton, feels like a terrible strategy. If coaches caravan events there in the past have been sparsely attended, then it seems like improving the event and increasing visibility would be better than giving up.

However, I have a feeling that we are over-reacting and that some sort of similar event will eventually get scheduled for Cowtown.

• Upvote 1

Or....Fort Worth & Gainsville.

Crazy I know.

I have been to every one of the caravans in the Fort, have my Apogee mini and my CUSA T to prove it.

I agree with 817, I am not sure how they promote it to the gen pop. Seems like I have to do the promoting myself to alumni that have no idea its coming. But I assume the same efforts here in FW were made for the other stops, that are reported to have better turnout.

I will say this, the best turnout I have ever seen for an NT in FW event was a summer, incoming freshman...get fired up dinner at Joe T's. Tons of HS grads and their parents were in attendance. This was probably 10 years ago and the place was packed......I dont think they did it again after that.

Another thing to consider is that we have a huge alumni population in the North Fort. I would bet much more than those of us inside the loop.

So, as much as it kills me, because my universe exists almost entirely inside the loop with the exception of NT Football and vacations...I would suggest moving the Ft Worth event to somewhere up along 1-35, between Downtown and Keller. Then you get your die hards who show up to everything and can also draw from Keller, Mid Cities, Saganaw...etc etc.

Fort Worth is a little different. There is an inclusive "Cool, In Crowd" vibe associated with TCU. To the Frogs credit, they did a great job building this.

But, as someone that might know a little bit about advertising & marketing campaigns...to write off the Fort would be a mistake.

Recognize your audience and play to your strengths.

• Upvote 1

So trying Gainsville this year means that we have given up on Fort Worth entirely? I am confused by this. So they are having an event somewhere else this year. What's the big deal? I would bet that it will be back in Fort Worth again next year. Not sure why we are reading so much into this. There are any number of reasons that they might not have it in Fort Worth that are not nefarious or problematic. Could be something as simple as finding a place to host the event that meets the needs. Not sure why we need to assume that we have given up on the city.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Mr. Case puts on a hell of a greeting...complimentary food and brew...shiattttt...I'm in!

And now we will have it in the largest Lexus dealership in the country!! I can't wait to go to Plano for the 3rd or 4th year in a row. It's a party.

I remember when "Parks and Rec Rick" help set up two different North Texas coaches caravans in Grand Prairie.

One caravan was at the Ruth Jackson Center with Darrell Dickey, Johnny Quinn, Jarmario, Woody Wilson, and other players.

Big turn out for this event.

The second caravan coaches stop was held at the Uptown Theater in downtown Grand Prairie. Cool place!

I met Coach Mac for the first time at this event.

Very big turn out for North Texas fans!

I do not like the idea of no Fort Worth coaches caravan, following the HOD bowl win and the 9-4 season.

Strike while the fire is hot! I wonder if the AD can schedule another stop in Fort Worth , Arlington or Grand Prairie?

• Upvote 1

So trying Gainsville this year means that we have given up on Fort Worth entirely? I am confused by this. So they are having an event somewhere else this year. What's the big deal? I would bet that it will be back in Fort Worth again next year. Not sure why we are reading so much into this. There are any number of reasons that they might not have it in Fort Worth that are not nefarious or problematic. Could be something as simple as finding a place to host the event that meets the needs. Not sure why we need to assume that we have given up on the city.

The issue is not going to Gainsville. The issue is skipping Tarrant county. WAY too many alums over here to pass over. Especially coming off a 9 win bowl champion season when the resident Frogs did so poorly. -You gotta make hay when the sun is shining.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Trying hard to bite my tongue on this one, but again -- if you enlisted 10 good fans in Tarrant county, ie Firefighting Rick, 817, Silver Eagle, UNT90 etc.. and asked them to commit to bringing 5-10 fans or potential fans with them you could have a good turnout. The same goes for Dallas and everywhere else in DFW. All it takes is asking for help. If 10 fans commit to bringing just 5 with them, you have 60 people at the event. If they bring 10 each you have 110. Add in the rest of the attendees and you are looking at respectable numbers.

There is this fallacy that if you post something on a website or facebook or an email it automatically means that people are paying attention and will show up. Heck make it a contest -- see who can get the most butts at these events and throw them a bone.

We have a very good core group of supporters who will give a lot of their time for the cause -- but you have to ask them. If you don't ask them for help they don't think you need it.

I really think they need to work with a location somewhere in Alliance to set up an event for the area. Some people will drive to Denton, but you're not going to get the majority driving up there. Fort Worth, Keller, Southlake, NRH, HEB, Burleson, Crowley, Roanoke, etc. Way too many potential fans to completely ignore.

• Upvote 2

I have also heard someone muse "How does the popular definition of insanity" jibe with another popular saying in our culture "If at first you don't succeed....try, try, again".

agreed...

In today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Texas football coach Charlie Strong's 1st stop in their Texas tour is....Fort Worth.

"....what does Texas know about football, recruiting fans & talent? (they at least know to go where the people are)

I have been to 2 of the last 3 FW caravans....enjoyed them both.

Edited by 3XL

As is usually the case with something like this if only those now bemoaning the lack of a FT Worth stop this year.....emphasis...THIS YEAR, not eternity....would have shown up and brought a few pals to the last few stops that were held in FT Worth, this discussion would not even be taking place. Why? Because there would be a FT. Worth stop.

Maybe, just maybe, not having a Ft. Worth stop this year will actually help turn a future FT Worth stop into a "must attend" event.

Besides...those that are interested can certainly find there way this year to Denton, Dallas, Plano or Gainesville. I have often made multiple stops on the tour. Can be done.

Who knows, the Gainesville attendance might shatter attendance records...when such stops were held in Tyler years ago, word is the turnout was excellent.

So...Tarrant County folks....make yourself known to RV and Company when you show up at one of this year's stops and let him know you will help get better turnout in FT Worth for next year's event.

One thing about Mac...he absolutely hates talking at these things when fans don't care enough to show up in decent numbers. He has pretty much told us all that on numerous occasions. He, his staff and his players are doing their part on and off the field.

And, least anyone here be of the highly mistaken opinion that I in any way think not having a stop in FT Worth is a good thing, I am willing to help do what I can to increase turnout should the Caravan return to a Tarrant County stop next year. Harry had a few good ideas as well. So, you Tarrant County folks willing to step up and be part of the solution? FT Worth could become the "must attend" stop. Could being the operative word here. I know at least four folks in Tarrant County that I think would be willing to help next year...what about others.

Or, we can just blame someone else and talk about how it is someone else's job after the fact that there should be a stop in FT Worth.

Come to any stop on the Caravan...just come...make yourself known and if you favor a Tarrant County stop let that be known as well and how you will help get the attendance numbers up. Really too bad that FT Worth is not on the list this year, but unless folks care enough to come......

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

As is usually the case with something like this if only those now bemoaning the lack of a FT Worth stop this year.....emphasis...THIS YEAR, not eternity....would have shown up and brought a few pals to the last few stops that were held in FT Worth, this discussion would not even be taking place. Why? Because there would be a FT. Worth stop.

So...Tarrant County folks....make yourself known to RV and Company when you show up at one of this year's stops and let him know you will help get better turnout in FT Worth for next year's event.

So, you Tarrant County folks willing to step up and be part of the solution?

if you favor a Tarrant County stop let that be known as well and how you will help get the attendance numbers up.

I've never understood this thinking in the quotes above. As a Mean Green fan in Ft. Worth, it is not my job or responsibility to ensure that the event is highly attended. That's the marketing department's job. I would bring myself and try to bring another person or two, but not offering the event at all because I and other FW fans can't bring 10 people each is a ridiculous notion.

As for attending the other events, that would essentially turn into taking a half day off from work, which is asking too much from your average fan.

• Upvote 5

I've never understood this thinking in the quotes above. As a Mean Green fan in Ft. Worth, it is not my job or responsibility to ensure that the event is highly attended. That's the marketing department's job. I would bring myself and try to bring another person or two, but not offering the event at all because I and other FW fans can't bring 10 people each is a ridiculous notion.

As for attending the other events, that would essentially turn into taking a half day off from work, which is asking too much from your average fan.

Just different strokes for different folks. You see as a UNT grad, I do believe part of my job is to "pay it forward" and help UNT wherever, however, and whenever I can. You mentioned going and taking a couple of friends with you....looks like you actually see it pretty much the same way. Sorry you don't understand that mindset, but like I said...different strokes for different folks. Not better, not worse...just different.

If ones lives in FT Worth...it certainly does not mean taking a day or half day off work to drive to Denton. I commuted to work from Denton to Tarrant County for close to 14 years...and commuted from Denton to Cedar Hill for about two years before that. Never took a half-days work to get from Denton to either place and each trip was right smack in the middle of "drive time". But, maybe you don't have a traditional 8-5 schedule. If that's the case, even a FT Worth stop could be tough.

Anyway...make your voice heard that you would like to see FT Worth get a stop again next year. Here's betting that stops in FT Worth will return soon enough. I do hope they will.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd suggest having the next FW gathering, whenever that is again, somewhere in the newly spiffed-up downtown Sundance area, and not the Stockyards ever again. ESPN will be down there for the basketball tournament because it was such a great location back during the icebowl for them. Its fairly easy to get into and out of for fans and there are a lot of location options these days.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I'd suggest having the next FW gathering, whenever that is again, somewhere in the newly spiffed-up downtown Sundance area, and not the Stockyards ever again. ESPN will be down there for the basketball tournament because it was such a great location back during the icebowl for them. Its fairly easy to get into and out of for fans and there are a lot of location options these days.

Rick

Definitely agree...the Stockyards setting is just tough...parking and otherwise. The newly re-done Sundance Square area is great and seems like it would make a good location for the event. Yes, good thought.

Rick

I noticed in yesterdays ST sports section that UT and Charley Stong (the "Comin' on Strong" tour) will be having their Fort Worth event at Joe T's. on April 21st. $15 for adults and $8 for youth.