Poll: Will Benford be fired?

UNTeagle88

3 hours ago, forevereagle said:

WB said before the season that he would evaluate after the season. If I were to guess, he plans to keep his word on that. He has probably already made a decision, but doesn't want to back track on what he said before. 

This.  WB was quoted as saying he would evaluate the program and make a decision after this season.  Is is that difficult to really understand this?

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

It didn't take him an entire year to decide to extend Hedlund...

Did he make a statement that he would evaluate the soccer program after the season?  Hedlund has a successful track record, so I think WB knew what he was getting.  In Benford's case, I think he thought an entire evaluation of the program was needed.

Just now, southsideguy said:

our season is over, you must be talking when there are no more games to be played.

I see where what you are saying is the feeling for some but to me the season is not over until there are no more games are to be played.

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

It didn't take him an entire year to decide to extend Hedlund...

You mean the winningest Coach we have at the moment...that John Hedlund?  And, it is his off season...well, the end of it anyway, so Wren did wait until the end of the season to evaluate Coach Hedlund. and give him a nice well earned extension. Not that much evaluation was needed regarding wins and losses that is...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Did he make a statement that he would evaluate the soccer program after the season?  Hedlund has a successful track record, so I think WB knew what he was getting.  In Benford's case, I think he thought an entire evaluation of the program was needed.

I don't follow women's soccer close enough to know. Are you asking because you follow it closely and you happen to know?

Your point about Hedlunds track record is just as easily used on Benford as well. In both cases if WB didn't realize what he was getting then he did a poor job preparing for the job here. 

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

I don't follow women's soccer close enough to know. Are you asking because you follow it closely and you happen to know?

Your point about Hedlunds track record is just as easily used on Benford as well. In both cases if WB didn't realize what he was getting then he did a poor job preparing for the job here. 

No, what I am saying is he knew basketball wasn't performkng well and he specifically said he would evaluate the team throughout the year and make a decision after the season.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I think he might make an announcement when are not eligible for the CUSA tournament.  He will say his contract will not be extended but will finish the year out. Everyone saves face and Benford can look for an asst job somewhere. What do asst make in college basketball?

The odds of finding out the fate for any post season action could come around February 25th after the Southern Miss game. Southern Miss is currently in the No. 12 spot and losing to them pretty much seals the likelihood the team won't make it to the tournament.

42 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I think he might make an announcement when are not eligible for the CUSA tournament.  He will say his contract will not be extended but will finish the year out. Everyone saves face and Benford can look for an asst job somewhere. What do asst make in college basketball?

A power conference team often pays assistants more than we pay Benford. 

UT-Martin lost their head coach to an assistant gig (NC State, I think) that paid him over $500k.