I don't get it...

Actually there was a reason why this didn't happen. The AD is aware of this and Benford isn't the primary reason for this. Those players who want to win know who the problems are.

And what was that reason? I think in absence of anyone actually having the balls to put out more than hints, the assumption that the reason for the problem is the coach is the most logical conclusion, particularly when there seems more stable mediocricy than improvment in year 2 when he had a whole off season to adress personell issues.

• Upvote 2

And what was that reason? I think in absence of anyone actually having the balls to put out more than hints, the assumption that the reason for the problem is the coach is the most logical conclusion, particularly when there seems more stable mediocricy than improvment in year 2 when he had a whole off season to adress personell issues.

I agree. Come out and say what the problem was if you know or just remain silent. Anyway, a college team should never be held hostage by a player. Ever. The coach is the problem if they allow a player to destroy a team for a season.

• Upvote 2

I had hoped that we had grown past hiring assistant's with no head coaching experience, but evidently not. Having said that, it is my understanding that there was not a lot of interest in this position. Regardless, in my opinion we made a bad hire.

I find this incredibly hard to believe... as in, I don't believe this at all.

• Upvote 3

Why is everyone seemingly calling for Coach Benfords head? We DO have a better record than last year AND it is our first year in C-USA which is a better Conference than the Sunbelt. Seems a step in the right direction to me. Coach Mac took 3 years with the football team. Perhaps we need to give Coach Benford a chance.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

Wow.

Just wow.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I obviously need to do some research y'all. And I apologize. I'm a freshman and I really do love this school and want to see it succeed. I just do see improvement with benford at this point, and I don't think our problems could be fixed with just another coaching change.

EC8E3xj.jpg

"Now fry like bacon, you little freshmen piggies!"

• Upvote 4

I obviously need to do some research y'all. And I apologize. I'm a freshman and I really do love this school and want to see it succeed. I just do see improvement with benford at this point, and I don't think our problems could be fixed with just another coaching change.

I apologize for my harsh responses. I typically tend to be a little Pollyanna with all things UNT. However, it boggles my mind how our basketball program completely fell apart in less than 2 years.

• Upvote 1

To answer your question,how many positive reviews do you see on yelp as opposed to negative? The internet Is a place for people to come and complain or vent about things. We have higher traffic after a loss than after a win. While this may not be our worse team to ever have at UNT,you're going to hear more of the negative on here. Its taking folks a while to get over the sting of having all the talent we did last year and squandering it away. That being said,I'm in the "who knows" camp as far as Benford is concerned as of right now.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

Why is everyone seemingly calling for Coach Benfords head? We DO have a better record than last year AND it is our first year in C-USA which is a better Conference than the Sunbelt. Seems a step in the right direction to me. Coach Mac took 3 years with the football team. Perhaps we need to give Coach Benford a chance.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

the most direct answer would be:

a.) he's the guy that has to replace THE GUY (who had left the roster about as stacked as possible)

b.) he started off on just about the worst possible foot after his first 2 games

c.) he turned a team that had experienced a 5 year run of really good basketball into a team that didn't reach .500...

d.) to compound that, this was a team that about 95% of UNT fans were expecting to be, one of, if not our best ever

when you take those items and throw in the fact that his start this year was less than stellar, most fans, myself included, have just shut down and waited for him to be canned...

if he was in a different scenario, he might have been the right guy, but he walked into a very tough scenario and didn't produce immediately, which is what was needed

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 1

You act as if any of the above is impossible for Benford to do. It took JJ years to accomplish any of these. We have been to 3 NCAA tournaments in the history of our school. Is it really expected for us to make it right now with Bneford? JJ had two in over ten years. We did have some fantastic seasons but that stuff took time. Not only to get in the players, but for JJ to be comfortable in his role. If we can win 17-18 games this season Benford define lay will have improved and deserves another year. If we lose our next three it is troublesome, but nothing so terrible that it would change next season. I'm leaning twordw giving able ford another year. The issue because what happens after next year when we have a bunch of young players who may not even be three star players. That is wher the road gets tough.

• Upvote 1

Paints a much more clear picture now reading this thread. I'm kind of glad I wasn't here for when the hype was so huge, and I guess it's good I wasn't crushed by it when we went down the drain last year. Hopefully the next few classes coming in don't know about any of that and just see a team that's improving, and hopefully that will make a better atmosphere at the pit.

I'm not defending Benford by any means but just for reference UL-Lafayette has a top 20 (first round talent) SG on their team this year, and a top 50 (will be 1st rounder next year or 2016) post player and they're only 15-10 with losses to ULM, Jackson State, & Troy. It's not the best example but does put to rest the theory that one elite player should have made us a contender last season.

Nothing is going to change the debacle that was last year but we have shown improvement this season and at this point I can at least somewhat stomach the 3rd year we all knew would come to fruition regardless of record. We can sit here, bitch and moan all we want but who's raising the money for the buyout?

• Upvote 1

We have a basketball team!? I thought they killed that program with the draft hopes of Tony Mitchell.

Since the talk of baseball coming back to North Texas, Ive been soley focused on football and baseball.

Ya, I've been focused on anything but UNT basketball, also.

Makes life easier.

• Upvote 1

What awful teams were blow outs...? SFA is awful? A 26 win awful team..l BYU and LA Tech are awful? Both 20 win teams. But they are awful...? Even our next closest loss I believe was Oklahoma who was a top 25 team. I am not debating that we were once a good team or what someone inherited. I am only saying our major losses were against very solid competition.

uhh..Rice. Nothing more needs to be said.