I don't get it...

uhh..Rice. Nothing more needs to be said.

Losing by 5 points is a blow out? Wow I guess we are rising high because we have blown out our last four opponents essentially. You must be really happy with these last couple blowouts we have had go in our favor.

• Upvote 2

Benford is coming back next year, so I am unclear on why that's even a thing. The second CJ's buzzer beater went in a few games back, Tony was assured of another season. The only way he was getting canned is if we were riding a huge losing streak to end the campaign.

We're still not assured of a non-losing year BTW. Talk about diminished expectations.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

Benford is coming back next year, so I am unclear on why that's even a thing. The second CJ's buzzer beater went in a few games back, Tony was assured of another season. The only way he was getting canned is if we were riding a huge losing streak to end the campaign.

We're still not assured of a non-losing year BTW. Talk about diminished expectations.

Yep, and expect posts of "well, we won more games than last year, so he has it headed in the right direction."

Already have seen one of these

The level of suck the he has brought upon this program is just heartbreaking. Good luck with attendance next year, RV.

• Upvote 1

Yep, and expect posts of "well, we won more games than last year, so he has it headed in the right direction."

Already have seen one of these

The level of suck the he has brought upon this program is just heartbreaking. Good luck with attendance next year, RV.

Attndence has only decreased a little to year (though I expect very few people to show up on a Sunday at 2pm for the UTEP game :/ )

Winning more games will always been an improvement. If we can win 17 this year it's already 5 more wins. Just do the same thing the next year and we will be sitting at 22 wins. If fans complain about 22 wins then this has simply turned into a witch hunt and nothing more.

Attndence has only decreased a little to year (though I expect very few people to show up on a Sunday at 2pm for the UTEP game :/ )

Winning more games will always been an improvement. If we can win 17 this year it's already 5 more wins. Just do the same thing the next year and we will be sitting at 22 wins. If fans complain about 22 wins then this has simply turned into a witch hunt and nothing more.

If indeed this team wins 22 games next season then we will all happily eat crow.

I don't think i need to prepare my tastebuds for that treat though.

Also 17 wins.... sure. UNT beat the southland 5 to 1 this season and it is an improvment that the team did not lose to a div 2 team like last season, despite playing so many of them.

We played two.... the same amount as middle tennese

Southern miss and many others. Ecu played 4 while we only played two division two teams.on top of that I believe JJs LSU team played more southland teams then we did. But people won't bother to look things up. Just blindly attack

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We played two.... the same amount as middle tennese

Southern miss and many others. Ecu played 4 while we only played two division two teams.on top of that I believe JJs LSU team played more southland teams then we did. But people won't bother to look things up. Just blindly attack

Lack of trust. Last year ruined the trust of fans that were here during the JJ era. Trust for the Men's program and trust for the AD. When you've lost that, people are going to look at points/stats of comparison differently, even if they seem the same up front.

If Benford gets to 22 wins next year, great! But it won't be the same as 22 wins at other schools. Benny is gonna need 3 - 5 20+ win seasons to regain the trust of the lost fans. If/when he gets there, I think things will be much better.

Sorry buddy, but that is Benny's reality after the disaster of last year. And, guess what? It's called expectations. JJ set them, and I'm grateful for it.

I believe JJs LSU team played more southland teams then we did. But people won't bother to look things up. Just blindly attack

If you would have bothered to look things up ,like you suggested , you would have known that we played 5 , LSU played 4

Lack of trust. Last year ruined the trust of fans that were here during the JJ era. Trust for the Men's program and trust for the AD. When you've lost that, people are going to look at points/stats of comparison differently, even if they seem the same up front.

If Benford gets to 22 wins next year, great! But it won't be the same as 22 wins at other schools. Benny is gonna need 3 - 5 20+ win seasons to regain the trust of the lost fans. If/when he gets there, I think things will be much better.

Sorry buddy, but that is Benny's reality after the disaster of last year. And, guess what? It's called expectations. JJ set them, and I'm grateful for it.

I understand he has not lived up to JJs previous teams but people are just making stuff and and then attacking him in made up "facts".

We played the same amount of D2 teams as most other schools (two), we have recruited just as well as JJ, the fans have dropped off but not in large numbers, and Benford has improved last year. Both in his record and in his coaching ability. Anyone who attacks any of these is just attacking for the sake of attacking with out facts.

You can attack the record itself (it is sub par to what we are used to sure. Do you not think the same thing happens at most schools when a long term coach leaves? Wait as see what happens to SMU when Larry Brown leaves. They will under perform again). You can also attack his subbing patterns because they are a bit sporadic. His defense is hit or miss. Attack it one day and praise it the next. If anything our offense has been bad this season. These are what you should attack him for...

If you would have bothered to look things up ,like you suggested , you would have known that we played 5 , LSU played 4

That is what I did not say I was positive. I said I believe.... So now you want to debate one game? If we played one less southland conference opponent there would be zero complaints about our schedule? If we replaced SFA with UTA no one would be complaining?

I understand he has not lived up to JJs previous teams but people are just making stuff and and then attacking him in made up "facts".

We played the same amount of D2 teams as most other schools (two), we have recruited just as well as JJ, the fans have dropped off but not in large numbers, and Benford has improved last year. Both in his record and in his coaching ability. Anyone who attacks any of these is just attacking for the sake of attacking with out facts.

I'm not gonna type the same thing twice. I don't know how else to put this?

I'm not gonna type the same thing twice. I don't know how else to put this?

Then I guess it's sad that people are not more trusting. It has not even been two years. If we do not win another game this season then I will be very disappointed and have a sour taste in my mouth going into next season but I will show up to every game. I do not see how after one season someone can "loose trust" in anyone. Around year three is when we should be talking. Not year one. Potentially after this season. Especially if we lose our last three games.

• Downvote 1

Those pics were great and brought back terrific memories. Let Benford continue grooming his team, recruit a stud that wants to play for him and continue trending upward. I mean many of the teams we lost to ugly are set up nicely to go dancing (thinking BYU). I just remember JJ having some mulligans just like benford. I sat through that massacre at UTA and that was under JJ's watch. JJ got us dancing but couldn't get us over that hump into the 32. I wish Benford luck and will celebrate and support that coach that finally gets us in and leads us to do some damage in the tourney.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

How does this years average attendance compare to 2013 and 2012? Just asking.

emmitt01

GoMeanGreen.com Addict

Members

9,063 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

Average attendance this year-2,367

Average attendance last year (coming off JJ era)- 3,518

Average attendance in JJ's last season- 4,006

Average attendance JJ's second to last season- 3,552

Edited by Army of Dad

LSU is currently .500 in the SEC. Many feel that they are a bubble team for the NCAA tournament. It appears that Jones has recruited a strong class for next year. Hopefully, he can and will appease the Tiger Nation.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/47871411/Im-still-excited-about-LSU-basketball-and-Johnny-Jones.aspx

If only people here actually used logic like many of these fans.... More and more I get saddened by our fans base. Our players deserve better fans. JJ inherited a better team then Benford did (with the recruits he brought in). 10 of their 17 wins are against teams with a losing record and 4 of those 10 wins are against southland teams. Yes they have played Kentucky very close in both games but they split that series (against a very good team). They lost to an A&M team we beat by 20. They have under performed the past two seasons and people understand that it takes 3 to 4 years to get a team going no matter what they bring in or inherit.

from LSU boards:

But give the guy 2-3 full seasons at least. I know it's cliche now, but Coach K didn't coach a team into the NCAAT until his 9th season. In fact, he had 4 losing seasons in 8 years between Army and Duke.

Easily I'm not comparing CJJ to Coach K, but frick some of these people. CJJ needs some time.

• Downvote 3

Speaking of bad schedules in JJs first season they played UC Santa Barbara, Mcneese State, Northwestern State, Mississippi Valley State, Chattanooga, Houston Baptist, and Bethune Cookmen as their Out of conference home schedule. That sounds fantastic right? NT90 would have loved those teams at home... Include Boise St, UC Irvine, and Marquette on the road and that was their schedule in 2012. This year they played 4 southland conference teams. Benford just runs a JJ schedule. And people at LSU were not at arms. It takes a coach 3 years (with any team) to show you what they are capable of. Regardless of what they inherit and schedule.

JJ did not inherit a better team than Benford. This just goes to show how little you really know about the program and its history!

We came in ranked 117 in 2012 and they came in ranked 141. Close enough if you want to find the difference and get a percentage after adding in how many NCAA tams there are. It's pretty minimal... O well. Either way LSU could have easily surpassed UNT. This season they were ranked higher and have underperformed. Instead of just attacking do your own research. My point was that Benford and JJ were in relatively the same boat at their new schools. Sure both have underperformed, but it takes 3 years for a coach (any coach regardless of what they come into) to get the ball rolling. They will always have a different philosophy and game plan then the man they are replacing. Our fans should treat Benford with respect. Just as LSU's fans should treat JJ with respect. Next season will be the big one for both men. Maybe they both succed or they both fail and JJ is back here... Who knows.

Edited by Andrew
  • Downvote 1

oh darn we came in ranked 117 in 2012 and they came in ranked 141.... O well. Either way LSU could have easily surpassed UNT. This season they were ranked higher and have underperformed. Instead of just attacking do your own research. My point was that Benford and JJ were in relatively the same boat at their new schools. Sure both have underperformed, but it takes 3 years for a coach (any coach regardless of what they come into) to get the ball rolling. They will always have a different philosophy and game plan then the man they are replacing. Our fans should treat Benford with respect. Just as LSU's fans should treat JJ with respect. Next season will be the big one for both men. Maybe they both succed or they both fail and JJ is back here... Who knows.

What ranking service are you referring to? Also, rankings at the beginning of a season are worthless. It's what the ranking at the end of the season that really matters .. you know ... after all the games have been played.

How's this for research:

NT RPI 157 vs Top 25 0-1, vs Top 26-50 0-2, vs Top 51-100 0-4 which means we've not defeated a team between 1-100 in the RPI rankings.

LSU RPI 62 vs Top 25 1-3, vs Top 26-50 2-2, vs Top 51-100 2-3.

I'd gladly take LSU's "mediocre" numbers.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of bad schedules in JJs first season they played UC Santa Barbara, Mcneese State, Northwestern State, Mississippi Valley State, Chattanooga, Houston Baptist, and Bethune Cookmen as their Out of conference home schedule. That sounds fantastic right? NT90 would have loved those teams at home...

Because that had nothing to do with Trent Johnson trying to save his job, right ?

I'm not one to go all out and defend any kind of JJ schedule , but your statement would be like giving Benford credit for scheduling UTA & playing in the NIT his 1st year

Can't believed I got sucked into this thread. It's really time to move on from any JJ talk. Man hasn't been the coach here in almost 2 full years. I wish both him and Benford nothing but the best.

Now let's go beat UTEP!!!

Edited by NT03

If only people here actually used logic like many of these fans.... More and more I get saddened by our fans base. Our players deserve better fans. JJ inherited a better team then Benford did (with the recruits he brought in). 10 of their 17 wins are against teams with a losing record and 4 of those 10 wins are against southland teams. Yes they have played Kentucky very close in both games but they split that series (against a very good team). They lost to an A&M team we beat by 20. They have under performed the past two seasons and people understand that it takes 3 to 4 years to get a team going no matter what they bring in or inherit.

from LSU boards:

But give the guy 2-3 full seasons at least. I know it's cliche now, but Coach K didn't coach a team into the NCAAT until his 9th season. In fact, he had 4 losing seasons in 8 years between Army and Duke.

Easily I'm not comparing CJJ to Coach K, but frick some of these people. CJJ needs some time.

They are wrong...it didn't take Coach K 9 years at Duke to get into the NCAA tournament. I believe it was six.