North Texas Mean Green vs. Old Dominion Monarchs - 2/13/14

Harry

So 3 of the 4 big men that BENFORD recruited should not play much? That means he is a poor judge of talent and/or can't coach it up when it arrives.

Let's not forget the 3-4 guys that never even arrived on campus.

This program will end up at the bottom of CUSA (oh wait...) and possibly on sanctions when Benf*ck'd is fired.

They should just not be out there for major minutes. boss, Vaughn's! Mo, and a Taylor are all guys Benford recruited. Your posts makes zero sense. That leaves CJ as the only one he did not. You saying Gaines or Colman should be out there instead of CJ. Doing what running the point? I do not think they are terrible bigs, but they do not run the floor which is what we need to do. Armani can but he has his ups and his downs. I would not say he is a poor judge of talent by Amy means. I would say he cannot make up his mind on a lineup. That is an issue I thought would have been fixed by now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That is not how it works. They are a team. And that is definitely not how it comes off. It's all personal attacks.

Of all the things that you continue to say that are just complete BS and totally untrue, I'm going to stick to one thing that I want to clarify to you and Greg G (Mean_Green09). You guys both keep saying how everyone on this board is too quick to put the blame on Benford, and not giving the fair share to the players. Both of you have cited that those people on this board don't know about being on a team/legitimate basketball team, etc. The thing is, both of you are focusing way too much on what went wrong each individual game, and who messed up where (players and coaches).

This is Division 1 basketball. It isn't high school ball, where the coach has to make due with the players who live in his high school's zone and hope they're good. The head coach in D1 basketball has a system, picks his coaching staff, recruits the players to fit his system, and puts the system into place. Obviously you guys both know this stuff, but you both look past it. Benford is fully responsible for the state of the basketball program, not just the losses or the season as a whole. The loss to Old Dominion you can chalk up to player A doing this wrong or player B doing that wrong, but the state of the basketball program is on Tony B, which leads to these losses. And it's clearly only getting worse.

As 90 said, it'll be new players' faults every year as long as this continues. And darn these posts for not being productive! Wait till Tony B gets to bring his own players in to control the paint! Oh wait...

• Upvote 4

I really didn't think we would play every weak sister of the poor. The bet was made before the schedule was ever released. I made the mistake of believing Benford would follow through with his promise to play more prominent competition. Why I believed that from him when he has also promised good defense and improved rebounding and has done nothing but the opposite, I just don't know.

Maybe it was because we actually played competition in the OOC last year, I don't know.

At least one game shouldn't count, as we played over the limit of D2 and NAIA teams allowable by the NCAA. They didn't punish us because they knew we would be zero of a factor in the CUSA race.

BY zero, I mean one of the last three places in CUSA, probably the very last place.

It is pretty in obvious no one in here has played at the college level in any sport. I am not saying I have, but maybe if you had or ran with a group who had you might pick up in a few things.

I saw Rusty Wallace outside of a NASCAR race once, so that means I can compete in the next Daytona 500, right?

Maybe the GMG game can be broken up between the two groups on here. I will take Kram, mean-Green 09, the other Andrew anyone else.. My boy gene if he chooses to play or we can muster up the old squad but most have moved out of Texas...

You wouldn't have enough to sub out every 2 minutes.

Giving the box scores a once over, really the consistent thing about this season has been our inconsistency. None of us agree with who our best players are, or who should get the most playing time, for a reason. Now, you can say this is WHY Benford subs so much, but I believe it's the opposite. The sub patterns are what prevents game to game, week to week, consistency. Now, individual players will always have nights when they're hot or cold, but our issues are way more endemic than that.

Jordan is our leading scorer. He's had nine games where he didn't get to double figures. So, in roughly...40% of our games he didn't get there.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Next time you see me blast a player, let me know please. The staff has let these kids down 2 years in a row. WE WERE SO CLOSE TO BEING LIKE SMU IS NOW less than 2 years ago! BENFORD and RV CAN NEVER BE FORGIVEN FOR THIS MESS.

Never.

This team, as currently constituted, could be top four in CUSA with a different coach. No doubt in my mind.

Fixed it for you

Wow.

RV has built a football program, and that's the one that pays the bills.

I'm as excited as the next guy for where football could go, but we've had 1 winning season in the last 10... and he and his hires were solely responsible for those 9 as well as the 1. 3 1/2 of those years were the worst that anyone could have experienced as a fan of a college football team. The jury is out on whether we have a good football program. I think we will, but we don't know. Just one year of success.

If he doesn't offer you a job in the promotions dept when you graduate, then something is wrong.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

Of all the things that you continue to say that are just complete BS and totally untrue, I'm going to stick to one thing that I want to clarify to you and Greg G (Mean_Green09). You guys both keep saying how everyone on this board is too quick to put the blame on Benford, and not giving the fair share to the players. Both of you have cited that those people on this board don't know about being on a team/legitimate basketball team, etc. The thing is, both of you are focusing way too much on what went wrong each individual game, and who messed up where (players and coaches).

This is Division 1 basketball. It isn't high school ball, where the coach has to make due with the players who live in his high school's zone and hope they're good. The head coach in D1 basketball has a system, picks his coaching staff, recruits the players to fit his system, and puts the system into place. Obviously you guys both know this stuff, but you both look past it. Benford is fully responsible for the state of the basketball program, not just the losses or the season as a whole. The loss to Old Dominion you can chalk up to player A doing this wrong or player B doing that wrong, but the state of the basketball program is on Tony B, which leads to these losses. And it's clearly only getting worse.

As 90 said, it'll be new players' faults every year as long as this continues. And darn these posts for not being productive! Wait till Tony B gets to bring his own players in to control the paint! Oh wait...

Yes I do think a lot people were to quick to blame Benford, about certain issues. I've been critical of both the players and coaches. Back in January I had this to say:

Here's the deal. I'm convinced there is enough talent within this team to be able to compete on a high level. I give last years team a reprieve bc you had a post guy with a limited low post game and no outside shooting. Plus the injuries.

This years team is loaded with guards who can score. They are lacking a low post scoring threat, but you don't need that to win in college basketball.

So where does the blame fall? It ultimately falls with the guy that get paid to do a job. He is paid to teach recruit develop and game plan. If his team fails it's his fault. If his team is failing in the fundamentals it's his job to fix it. The best coaches know how to push the right buttons. They know how to get their players to respond to their coaching. I've found the best are the guys who mix fundamentals in with game strategies. Every player needs refreshing of the fundamentals from time to time. If your players aren't executing its your job to fix it. Take out and teach them what they did wrong. If they can't fix it well you brought them here so it still comes back to you.

As the head coach you are responsible for all aspects of your program. You are responsible for all failure and success.

There is no reason this team can't figure it out by the end of the season. I hope they do. If we don't see development and progress in the players then it will come back to the coach.

• Upvote 2

This is Division 1 basketball. It isn't high school ball, where the coach has to make due with the players who live in his high school's zone and hope they're good.

This is false. Coaches at all levels pro, college, and HS who hope they have good players are the guys who end up losing their jobs. A system is just as important in HS as it is in college. You have to rely on your teaching and development skills in order to be successful. Ya you don't get to recruit unless your a prep school or a big school I get that.

• Upvote 1

I'm as excited as the next guy for where football could go, but we've had 1 winning season in the last 10... and he and his hires were solely responsible for those 9 as well as the 1. 3 1/2 of those years were the worst that anyone could have experienced as a fan of a college football team. The jury is out on whether we have a good football program. I think we will, but we don't know. Just one year of success.

If he doesn't offer you a job in the promotions dept when you graduate, then something is wrong.

Dodge was hired in 2006 for the 2007 season. I believe Dickey was not a RV hire. So doesn't that mean that RV hires are responsible for six years of losing seasons?

• Upvote 1

This is false. Coaches at all levels pro, college, and HS who hope they have good players are the guys who end up losing their jobs. A system is just as important in HS as it is in college. You have to rely on your teaching and development skills in order to be successful. Ya you don't get to recruit unless your a prep school or a big school I get that.

I agree, but at the same time you can't expect too much out of a school devoid of basketball talent in their area. Good coaches get all they possibly can out of their players during the four years that they have them for. That's all you can do as a coach, from a developmental standpoint. And you have to if other schools are getting bigger, faster, and better players from their area. You can't recruit in high school. At least not comparable to the way you do in college. Especially not at public schools.

My point is, if a coach at a high school has an annual losing record, and everyone knows he's playing schools with better talent every night, he isn't at fault the way a college coach is, knowing that he is the one bringing in those players.

• Upvote 1