Who we beat on the recruiting trail

BillySee58

The listed offers on the major recruiting services out to our signees. Going to count Caleb Chumley even though he appears to be grayshirting, thus would count towards next year's signing class. Offers may not have all been committable when these guys committed to us, but they were offered by these P5 (formerly BCS) schools at some point.

P5 offers

-Colorado (Tee Goree)

-Iowa State (Fonzale Davis)

-Missouri (Caleb Chumley)

-Oregon State (Caleb Chumley)

-Kansas (Caleb Chumley)

-Indiana (Jalen Adams)

-Iowa (Andrew Jones)

-Purdue (Brandon Garner)

Not to mention OU came knocking late with Andrew Jones and Arkansas expressed late interest in Tee Goree. Maybe more schools not publicized, not just with them but with the other commits.

A few other notable schools we beat out for multiple players

-Toledo (Fonzale Davis, Willy Ivery)

-Colorado State (Tee Goree, Willy Ivery, Fonzale Davis)

-Nevada (Chris Miles, Fonzale Davis)

-San Diego State (Chris Miles, Tee Goree)

-Houston (Caleb Chumley, Chris Miles)

-Memphis (Tee Goree, Caleb Chumley)

-La Tech (Tee Goree, Caleb Chumley)

Offer lists are right up there with film for me as far as what is most important when looking at recruits. I personally value offer lists above film because I trust D1 coaches scouting abilities over my own. Although we all know some guys inevitably get overlooked. I don't discredit star ratings either, just below those 2 for me. Great class according to all 3!

• Upvote 4

Isn't Chumley coming on a Gray shirt? That's really impressive, were a school's gray shirt offer is more appealing than an instant scholarship. Didn't that happen to NT with that K-state QB?

I would hope that our recruits would be a step above those of schools like Texas State and ULM. We have arrived, in my opinion, when we win more that we lose going heads up with T.C.U. and S.M.U. We really have a hard time competing with those two privates.

• Upvote 1

I would hope that our recruits would be a step above those of schools like Texas State and ULM. We have arrived, in my opinion, when we win more that we lose going heads up with T.C.U. and S.M.U. We really have a hard time competing with those two privates.

In our defense, it is cold outside.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It'll soon be easy to outrecruit SMU as we consistently beat them in games and eventually TCU as they remain a bottom feeder in the Big12 and we become a CUSA powerhouse like we were in the SB in the early 2000s. Believe!

the big jump in recruiting will come when the aac takes notice of us and extends and invite. That will give us a level playing field with local schools, with our on the field success putting us above them
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We killed Texas State, we signed 8 recruits that were also offered by TS@SM:

Chris Miles

Caleb Chumley

Willie Ivery

Tillman Johnson

Kishawn McClain

Connor Means

Jeffery Wilson

Josh Greer

But the true question everyone wants to know is... How'd we do against UTSA?

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 1

SMU, yes. TCU, no.

TCU is a big 5 school and has every unfair advantage of one.

• Upvote 5

TCU will be a wilted football program in 5 more years in the big12. As far as personnel goes for TCU they have nothing to hang their hat on going into the 2014 football season. Look for a similar season as this past year and many more like it in the future. Go look at their signing class...then go look at other big12 signing classes. They will be a doormat for a minimum 2-3 years. UNT can take advantage of that on a perception standpoint in those 2-3 years, if not more.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope this group of high school seniors turns out to be as good or better than the great Todd Dodge class of 2010. However, we can't just talk about what we did or how we faired without looking at what our conference foes did as well. There are a lot of cute girls that make it to the Miss America pageant with talent, wit and intelligence. How will she stack up to Miss Oklahoma, Iowa, Michigan etc.? Our guys may have received more offers and stars than at any other time we can remember but did we improve more than our opponents?

Using the same standards we used to evaluate our guys in this class, the same standard were applied to others. The recruiting services ranked us much lower than our opponents. I would think they are gray shirting guys and waiting on others as well. Not knocking this class because like the 2010 class we don't know what we are getting.

Seems like everyone got better. Hopefully, coaching will help separate us from the pack.

Go look at all the other big12 signing classes and then come back and simply type "oh."

They signed 7 Texas Top 100s, same as Oklahoma St and TCU and Tech. They signed more than Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas St, West Virginia and Iowa St.

Only Texas and Baylor beat them out.

I sure as hell wish we were wilting like that.

• Upvote 4

And..no. I forgot the exact numbers, but in terms of overall quality COMPARED to other BIG12 schools TCU struggled. The best recruiting ranking tcu holds in their own conference is 5th (and for the casual fan, big12 has 10 schools) and that was "trustworthy" bleacherreport. Most others have them on average at 7th. In front of Kansas St, WVU and KU. TCU will be a doormat, mark..it..down. Hate to see a team struggle for gain, but we do live in a capitalist country. I'm just throwing out facts, argue them if you'd like. I could care less.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 1

I was hoping TCU could be successful in the transition, because they have been the only "lesser" team not named Utah to crack the P5, and they had to scratch and claw to get there. Their success could open doors for others.

Sadly, I'm wondering if history might work against them. A couple of bad years immediately may be hard from which to recover, in perception and recruiting.

And us little guys will here the "I told you so" loud and clear from not only fans of P5 programs, but the national sports media, also.

After all, if a team like TCU, with all their resources (read:money) and community support couldn't make the leap, how the hell could a program like UNT, or S. Miss., or Boise St., or Middle Tennessee possibly hope to make the leap.

The best thing that could happen I the big picture is for either TCU or Utah to win their conference. The quicker, the better.

And..no. I forgot the exact numbers, but in terms of overall quality COMPARED to other BIG12 schools TCU struggled. The best recruiting ranking tcu holds in their own conference is 5th (and for the casual fan, big12 has 10 schools) and that was "trustworthy" bleacherreport. Most others have them on average at 7th. In front of Kansas St, WVU and KU. TCU will be a doormat, mark..it..down. Hate to see a team struggle for gain, but we do live in a capitalist country. I'm just throwing out facts, argue them if you'd like. I could care less.

I think the problem is that you compared US to TCU, not other Big 12 schools. We aren't there in regards to branding or recruiting. NOT even close.

Edited by SSP