Defensive end target to visit UNT next week, recruiting notes

Harry

Tillman Johnson, a defensive end from Round Rock McNeil, will visit UNT next weekend and will soon decide between two finalists for his commitment — UNT and Texas State.

Johnson, 6-2, 241, committed to Texas State over the summer. UNT offensive coordinator Mike Canales is recruiting Johnson, who was a first-team All-District 16-5A selection as a senior in addition to being an academic all-district pick.

Johnson will visit UNT next weekend and then will visit Texas State on Jan. 24.

“That will be the deciding factor,” Johnson said of his two visits.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/01/defensive-end-target-to-visit-unt-next-week-recruiting-notes.html/

I wonder if this is any indication of how we stand with Xavier Washington. I'd love to steal another recruit from Texas State, like Reinhardt last year, but finishing with Washington and Johnson would still leave us with just one DT for the class in Shaq Jackson. Good thing is it looks like Jackson will play nose, which would allow for one of these DEs to pack on some weight and play the 3-technique. Fun stuff to watch with less than a month to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not trying to be a jerk, but why would someone choose Texas State over UNT at this point in time? Only thing I can think of is playing time, but it seems like we need some bodies at DL.

It's proximity -- being closer to friends, family etc that usually hurts us down there. And this goes back to when we were in the Belt and they were I-AA, Reinhardt who flipped to us isn't really an accurate comparison because he's from Saginaw which is more DFW. He's been committed to TSU since June and he lives close to there. I sure wouldn't count on this as a lock although he claims distance isn't an issue. It also makes me wonder if X is still in the picture.

Not trying to be a jerk, but why would someone choose Texas State over UNT at this point in time? Only thing I can think of is playing time, but it seems like we need some bodies at DL.

The same reason 20k+ (I'm guessing) choose to attend Texas State at any given time. Even for football players, choosing which college to attend is not always as much a no-brainer as we sometimes make it out to be. Different strokes, different folks.

That, and Coach Fran is still a pretty good coach.

• Upvote 3

It's proximity -- being closer to friends, family etc that usually hurts us down there. And this goes back to when we were in the Belt and they were I-AA, Reinhardt who flipped to us isn't really an accurate comparison because he's from Saginaw which is more DFW. He's been committed to TSU since June and he lives close to there. I sure wouldn't count on this as a lock although he claims distance isn't an issue. It also makes me wonder if X is still in the picture.

Saginaw being more DFW than down there is an understatement. It's in north Fort Worth and closer to UNT than Dallas.

• Upvote 1

AGREED. I live in the Austin area. TX State is a big school that offers an opportunity for local players that don't get recruited by big schools to play D-1 ball & for a good coach that's turning the program around. I would love to see more Central & South TX players play for UNT. That would be a good indication of our program's rising status. I live near where Dajon Wiliams played H.S., so I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes a recruit needs to understand the recruiting process from a head football coach or assistant's perspective and just say "yes, I'm coming" or...... "no, I'm not coming."(And then some kids truly just need a bit more time).

We seem to get so many kids who were close to signing with UNT initially until Big Time U baffles them with whatever they need to baffle them with to get the Big Time U sale..............

..............then said recruit goes with Big Time U ignoring their initial gut feelings about going to UNT and...

..............then they get miserable; buyer's remorse sets in with some of them their freshmen year a Big Time U and that after they've sit on the bench all season long when they were told they would not and.....

.............then..........its at such times we start getting inquiries from some of that group who in the recruiting process liked UNT first but waffled on their decision and went elsewhere. Coach McCarney will listen to their predicament with true interest but must wonder why they just didn't go with their gut feeling about signing a L.O.I with the Mean Green from the git-go

GMG !