UNT Received Top 25 Votes

Eagle915

Wow, I didn't expect that to be out so soon. Not as many as NDSU got in the other poll (per your other thread) but still a nice nod. I really didn't expect this, and remember, I was the one that thought we might get a vote after the Idaho blowout (since a bunch of teams didn't play, lost to FCS, had close calls in wins, etc.). I really expected us to need at least 10 wins including the bowl to get a vote in either poll, so this is a nice surprise. It makes me think that the 1 or 2 who voted for us (1 vote for #24 or 2 votes for #25) must have actually watched at least our bowl game if not some of our others as well. Good to have the recognition, thanks for the heads up that these are already out!

• Upvote 1

Why are the writers in the AP poll voting for NDState? FCS has a playoff to determine the best team in that completely separate division of college football. 17 votes for an FCS team? F'ing grow up people.

I'm glad to see it. How often do we gripe about media only paying attention to the big 5 schools? I actually think it would have been funny if they got the #25 spot.

Don't forget, they beat K State in Manhattan.

• Upvote 3

I'm glad to see it. How often do we gripe about media only paying attention to the big 5 schools? I actually think it would have been funny if they got the #25 spot.

P5 and G5 schools are a seperate division from FCS. They have their own rankings. I don't see anyone ranking Auburn #1 in the FCS.

They do not play by the same rules and thus they should not be allowed to be in the top 25 voting. Period. Transfers don't have to sit out a year, academics aren't as stringent -- there's just no validity to including them in that list and no argument that would convince me otherwise.

They do not play by the same rules and thus they should not be allowed to be in the top 25 voting. Period. Transfers don't have to sit out a year, academics aren't as stringent -- there's just no validity to including them in that list and no argument that would convince me otherwise.

And they only get 65(?) scholarships...if they can beat a big boy program then bless them and if they can make a real run I'm ok with a few novelty votes.
  • Upvote 1

academics aren't as stringent

In no way trying to convince you to vote for FCS in FBS polls, but stringent academics? P'shaw. Maybe at Stanford, Duke, and Rice. Don't know who I was listening to on radio highlights this morning, but dude could barely string three words together. You can't convince me that the guy is a Rhodes Scholar. Hell, you can't convince me the guy can put together a simple five paragraph essay.

Seems to me that it's the smaller programs (like UNT) where the student athletes pay attentions to BOTH words in that title. Get up in the semi-pros and they're getting academically coddled in manufactured online courses that a lab rat of below average cognitive ability could pass.

I actually stand firm that I'd rather give my money to a program like UNT who produces the Derek Thompsons and Brandon McCoys, guys who take their education seriously, over giving it to a semi-pro team who sells t-shirts in Kroger.

• Upvote 2

In no way trying to convince you to vote for FCS in FBS polls, but stringent academics? P'shaw. Maybe at Stanford, Duke, and Rice. Don't know who I was listening to on radio highlights this morning, but dude could barely string three words together. You can't convince me that the guy is a Rhodes Scholar. Hell, you can't convince me the guy can put together a simple five paragraph essay.

Seems to me that it's the smaller programs (like UNT) where the student athletes pay attentions to BOTH words in that title. Get up in the semi-pros and they're getting academically coddled in manufactured online courses that a lab rat of below average cognitive ability could pass.

I actually stand firm that I'd rather give my money to a program like UNT who produces the Derek Thompsons and Brandon McCoys, guys who take their education seriously, over giving it to a semi-pro team who sells t-shirts in Kroger.

The test scores and cumulative GPA required by all FBS schools is different than FCS -- so you are misinterpreting my point. There are fantastic FCS academic schools out there no doubt but that doesn't change the fact that it is in general easier to get academically eligible at an FCS. For instance, when we get a transfer they have to sit out a year and make their grades. A FCS transfer is able to play right away even if they get straight F's their first semester in school.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. You have schools like ULM who barely scrape by with funding a FBS program at the expense of all of their other sports etc..