New walk-on defensive lineman Joe Kaho from Keller Central

Harry

gallery_1_219_1536133.jpg

Got a tip on this player from one of our members...he was seen on the sidelines with the Mean Green team.

He's a defensive linemen that was a senior at Keller Central in 2006. He was an 1st team 5-5A All District defensive tackle. He was also on the 5A academic all state team. It sounds like he may have been in the service and returned (ie Sarge) but I don't know that for a fact. If anyone has any other information please feel free to share. GMG

I actually think that I saw him at the game on Wed. I could swear he was wearing 59 but not sure. Didn't look like a d-tackle more like a defensive end... that's all I got. He played so long ago there isn't a whole lot of info about him out there...

I actually think that I saw him at the game on Wed. I could swear he was wearing 59 but not sure. Didn't look like a d-tackle more like a defensive end... that's all I got. He played so long ago there isn't a whole lot of info about him out there...

I checked out his facebook... He has UNT listed as one of his colleges. He seemed to be a great player in High School. Welcome to the team if it is true. I am sure he can get a good 15 to 20lbs on him by next season. Thanks for the update Harry.

• Upvote 1

It sounds like he may have been in the service and returned (ie Sarge) but I don't know that for a fact.

http://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_7589.pdf

Spc. Joseph Kaho of Fort Worth, Texas, a Soldier with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 143rd, role plays during the mass-casualty exercise held at Camp Arifjan Dec. 4.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 1

gallery_1_219_796422.jpg

Got a tip on this player from one of our members...he was seen on the sidelines with the Mean Green team.

He's a defensive linemen that was a senior at Keller Central in 2006. He was an 1st team 5-5A All District defensive tackle. He was also on the 5A academic all state team. It sounds like he may have been in the service and returned (ie Sarge) but I don't know that for a fact. If anyone has any other information please feel free to share. GMG

I know he's got a cool helmet

• Upvote 3

Kaho was 1st team 5-5A DL his senior year at Keller Central. Riley Dodge was district MVP & Lance Dunbar was 1st team RB as a junior.

Actually, looking at that first-team district squad, quite a few of them played at or at least committed to UNT . . . Derek Tomlin, Nick Leppo, Breece Johnson, Evan Walker, Kyle Russo.

Actually, looking at that first-team district squad, quite a few of them played at or at least committed to UNT . . . Derek Tomlin, Nick Leppo, Breece Johnson, Evan Walker, Kyle Russo.

Yeah, a lot of familiar names on there. And, of course, TD was district coach of the year.

Here is what's puzzling to me. Mr. Kaho is in full uniform: pads, helmet, everything. And yet he doesn't appear on the roster. Even Anthony Wallace appears on the roster, even though he has never appeared at games in anything but his uniform jersey.

It tells me they think he is special enough to bring on the trip... it could be his ability, his enthusiasm or a number of other things but it certainly is a good sign for the young man that he was able to be a part of the bowl game in my mind. Let's be honest, Sarge and his military service has been a golden goose/mantra in terms of positive press for this program. I can certainly see why they would like to see that type of feel good story continue.

It tells me they think he is special enough to bring on the trip... it could be his ability, his enthusiasm or a number of other things but it certainly is a good sign for the young man that he was able to be a part of the bowl game in my mind. Let's be honest, Sarge and his military service has been a golden goose/mantra in terms of positive press for this program. I can certainly see why they would like to see that type of feel good story continue.

Well, it looks to me like on January 1st 2014 Mr. Kaho was dressed out to actually play football. I assume then that he was eligible to play.

Well, it looks to me like on January 1st 2014 Mr. Kaho was dressed out to actually play football. I assume then that he was eligible to play.

That us entirely possible. I would expect the NCAA to be VERY lenient on eligibility rules for our heroes...

Here is another question. How does the "5-years-to-play-4" rule work in this case? Did Mr Kaho go straight from HS to the Army? If so, does the clock start ticking when he enrolls at NT? Did he go to JC and then the Army? When does the clock start ticking then?

Your "5 to play 4" as soon as you ENROLL full time in any 2 or 4 year institution of higher learning. Nothing can stop the clock. You don't even have to attend a single day of classes, enrollment is the trigger.

• Upvote 1

Your "5 to play 4" as soon as you ENROLL full time in any 2 or 4 year institution of higher learning. Nothing can stop the clock. You don't even have to attend a single day of classes, enrollment is the trigger.

Unless you play for a top school then you can have six, seven, even eight years to play *cough*JasonWhite*cough*.

True, although religious missions can stop the clock. Most of BYU's players play one year, go on a mission for two, and come back as redshirt freshman or sophomore but are in their 4th school year out of high school. That's the only exception I know.
  • Upvote 1

I saw him along the sideline; he seemed to be signalling in plays at times. Has the looks and name of a South Pacific Islander. I'll ask one of my neighbors if he knows anything about him.

I believe that he was holding a white cardboard background so that the signalmen can be seen. McNulty and Berglund are the signalmen. The backdrop is provided by redshirt linemen.