New TEXAS Coach

EAGLE83

I am very interested in seeing what one more summer with the Wintrich Factory has these guys looking/acting like. I believe this last summer really helped get the majority of our guys to play within their emotions. I really really hope Freddie Warner can stay healthy. He reminds me of Trice (guy who no one gave a shot to type mentality) Then Zed could potentially play outside backer a la Will Wright. Giving us speed all over the field. Anyone know when our Freshman can step on campus? Anyone know how close Chad Davis is to playing? Man I can't wait for spring ball!!

It will be interesting to see what, if any, speed Warner has lost from 2 knee surgeries and how this effects him psychologically.

They get the pick of the litter in recruiting! Of course their players are elite athletes.

Jeez

Yet they end up with a herp a derp for a QB. They have some good athletes and average talent. Their roster is not loaded like you think.

Yes they get the pick of the litter but they have had a lot of bad evaluations. That's why Mack is gone. They are avg on the OL, DL, WR, Secondary, QB, and LB. they have elite an elite RB.

Emmitt and Greg are both spot on. There's nothing scary about their roster except maybe Jonathan Gray. Brown and Bergeron are good bruisers as well. I also feel like Jonathan Gray may be breaking down. He played 64 games and had over 1200 carries in high school. Aledo may have out too much tread on those tires.

Emmitt and Greg are both spot on. There's nothing scary about their roster except maybe Jonathan Gray. Brown and Bergeron are good bruisers as well. I also feel like Jonathan Gray may be breaking down. He played 64 games and had over 1200 carries in high school. Aledo may have out too much tread on those tires.

Johnathon Gray will never, ever play behind a more dominating offensive line than the recruited all star crew he had the luxury to run behind in high school.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yet they end up with a herp a derp for a QB. They have some good athletes and average talent. Their roster is not loaded like you think.

Yes they get the pick of the litter but they have had a lot of bad evaluations. That's why Mack is gone. They are avg on the OL, DL, WR, Secondary, QB, and LB. they have elite an elite RB.

Fixed

d93453mbgus.jpg?width=300&height=300&enl

They have good athletes not elite. Their roster is not loaded like a Texas team should be. They have a lot of unproven players. QB is a position that is up in the air for them.

Will they be favored by 2 tds? Yes. But the gap isn't as wide as someone of you think in terms if talent. Not hard to see that.

They will be favored by a lot more than 2 touchdowns at home.

• Upvote 1

In our past "near wins' over UT-Austin, anyone don't think they out-recruited us every time as far as the recruiting services were concerned? I guess that's why they still play the game on the gridiron and not the computer?

One thing I don't think the recruiting services seem to always get in their star system ratings is the heart factor. For instance, how many stars did they give our #31 who just happened to be a walk-on this year and one of the best open field sure tacklers I've seen in 50 years of watching NCAA football?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

In our past "near wins' over UT-Austin, anyone don't think they out-recruited us every time as far as the recruiting services were concerned? I guess that's why they still play the game on the gridiron and not the computer?

One thing I don't think the recruiting services seem to always get in their star system ratings is the heart factor. For instance, how many stars did they give our #31 who just happened to be a walk-on this year and one of the best open field sure tacklers I've seen in 50 years of watching NCAA football?

GMG!

Our last and only "near win" was 1988. I know some have fond memories of the 7 sack game, but that was a 22 point loss in which we scored exactly 0 points.

1988 was the stone ages of college football compared to today. Not every recruit was known and there were still plenty of good unknown players out there. Different times.

We are catching them at a good time in THEIR history, but not such a good time in ours, with 22 seniors, many of whom were HEAVY contributors, on their way out.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Our last and only "near win" was 1988. I know some have fond memories of the 7 sack game, but that was a 22 point loss in which we scored exactly 0 points.

1988 was the stone ages of college football compared to today. Not every recruit was known and there were still plenty of good unknown players out there. Different times.

We are catching them at a good time in THEIR history, but not such a good time in ours, with 22 seniors, many of whom were HEAVY contributors, on their way out.

I'm not talking timelines, but history of college recruiting in Texas. "THE" university most my life has always gotten the cream of the crop.

And our nearest win over UT as I recall was first time we ever played Coach Darrell Royal's Longhorns in 1976 when Earl Campbell had to make a last minute TD run to beat North Texas 17 to 14.

Yes, post-Indian Wars with that "near win", but in the Lone Star State recruiting is recruiting and UT has most always led the parade in that no matter what decade or what era. Last I checked, Mack Brown had recruiting classes that were pretty high up in the national rankings so in that regard.........little has changed "in recruiting" from DKR all the way to Mack Brown. We will be playing most of Mack Brown's recruits at DKR Memorial next Fall I think most would agree and they will be favored to beat us as most would agree with that, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I can't wait for the Austin trip! I'm sure coach Strong would have wanted to debut against a D2 team...instead, he get's the bowl champions Mean Green! Is it August yet?

Yes, and UNT has been in big games against elite opponents from the SEC in OOC. That doesn't deter from the fact that we're stilling playing a powerhouse school like Texas, but UNT will come in having those types of experiences under their belt. UNT should know that this will be a good measuring stick after competing with Georgia last year. I literally felt like I had a surreal euphoric out-of-body experience after that punt block in the 3rd quarter to tie it up at 21. I want that same experience this year all the way through the 4th quarter.

When UT scheduled us, we were a below average team that looked like a good warm up game where you can get an easy D1 victory.

Any chance they back out of it? Pretty sure they didnt want to schedule a team capable of winning 9 games. They also will have a new coaching staff, possibly a new qb and offense, and a new defense to learn. It wouldnt suprise me if they cancelled, or tried to move this game.

When UT scheduled us, we were a below average team that looked like a good warm up game where you can get an easy D1 victory.

Any chance they back out of it? Pretty sure they didnt want to schedule a team capable of winning 9 games. They also will have a new coaching staff, possibly a new qb and offense, and a new defense to learn. It wouldnt suprise me if they cancelled, or tried to move this game.

Not a chance they pull out of this game.

Our 2 schools have a history of playing each other and UT seemed to never look at our 2 deep when they scheduled us during any decade, either.

Not a chance they pull out of this game.

Our 2 schools have a history of playing each other and UT seemed to never look at our 2 deep when they scheduled us during any decade, either.

Agree with Plumm. UT/UNT goes pretty far back, and they'll play the game.

Seriously? We've had one winning season in nine years. And, the major players from this year's winning squad will be gone. Texas will love having us as the opening game of the Charlie Strong Era.

If anyone should be buying out of that game, it should be us so that we can open at home against a beatable opponent. Texas coached by Charlie Strong is not a winnable game. Sorry.

Texas haters on the board, you will have to get accustomed to Texas competing for national titles regularly. Strong understands well that defense wins championships.

If you doubt Strong, go watch the Florida-Oklahoma national title game from 2009. Oklahoma came into the game having scored 60+ in six consecutive games, including the Big 12 title game versus Missouri. Strong's Florida defense held them to 14. With Heisman winner Sam Bradford, Oklahoma could muster only 14 against Strong's defense.

Texas has no reason to ask out of their game with us; we do. We will be breaking in many new players at key offensive position and will be operating with an all new front seven on defense. Taking that show in front of 100k+ at DKR is going to be ugly for us.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

If you think they're shaking in their cleats at the prospect of playing us, you're nuts. We still look like a warmup game to them. They will be favored over us, and by many, many points. It will be a Herculean feat for us to beat them.

I'm going to throw up with all the UT love. See some of y'all haven't shed your love for the T-sips. Give me a break. UT gets upset in a "herculean feat" every single damn year.

Let's see: 2013 they lost to BYU

2012 they lost to TCU

2010 they lost to UCLA and Iowa State

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm going to throw up with all the UT love. See some of y'all haven't shed your love for the T-sips. Give me a break. UT gets upset in a "herculean feat" every single damn year.

What do you think the line will be?

Regarding those games you stuck in your edit, for us to beat them would obviously be a much bigger upset.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Folks, everything you read about Charlie Strong suggests he's going to be able to improve UT's defense immediately. If their offense can find a QB, it will be far stronger than anyone we faced this year except Georgia. They will have 80,000+ screaming fans.

If anything, our win in the bowl will help the UT coaches make the case they can't ignore us.

I expect us to make the same level of effort as we did in the Georgia game. I expect us to not quit no mater the score, even late in the 4th quarter.

I do believe we can win, but it will take a perfect game by us and a poor game by them with all of the stars aligning perfectly.