SMU gives coach June Jones contract extension

Harry

UNIVERSITY PARK SMU football coach June Jones needs a victory Saturday against Central Florida for his team to become eligible for its fifth straight bowl.

A loss would leave the Mustangs with their first losing record since Jones debut season of 2008.

Either way, Jones appears safe in terms of job security.

He said Wednesday that he will decide after the season on an offer from SMU to extend his contract.

Jones has 19 months (through the 2014 season) remaining on his current deal, which pays about $2 million annually through June 2015.

"We've talked about it", Jones said when asked about his contract status. "They wanted to extend me, but I just dont like dealing with that during the season".

"I've got two years really on my contract". "I'll probably end up extending it, but well talk about it at the end of the season."

SMU athletic director Rick Hart declined to comment, citing the schools policy of not talking about contract negotiations.

You can expect the school to move quickly after the season to avoid uncertainty during recruiting.

It seems unlikely that SMU officials would change their minds regarding the contract renewal offer, given Jones unprecedented run of success. But there is no buyout clause in the final year.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20131204-smu-coach-june-jones-says-he-has-contract-extension-offer-in-hand-will-probably-sign-it-after-season.ece

I never liked June the way he left Hawaii, his record abroad sucked. His record at home was about average with other coaches, in Hawaii he had an advantage, So what changed he managed to get more games played in Hawaii and voilà success.

Who else would have really fit at SMU at this time than June Jones? Remember when Clint Murchison shocked our area and gave Tom Landry a 10 year extension when Landry and staff thought they were all out the door? (No, not comparing JJ to Landry here).

Plus...today's weather (and field conditions) could have an equalizing effect at Ford Stadium therefore working to the 'Stangs advantage. If they win then they are bowl elgible.

There will be no one at Ford Stadium today, but how many would have shown at Apogee if we had had a game as our fans would have had to sit on sheets of ice watching our favorite team play on sheets of ice? We've all at times poked fun at SMU's turnstiles count, but ours are hardly where they really need to be, either. I still want to see how our attendance goes up when we have 3 or 4 winning seasons in a row, though.

? How much for a sliding roof over Apogee? LOL!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I've heard the bump in pay will come from wealthy folks who have just been completely blown away by his inner city ministry work. He really showed that he is a selfless person turning down Arizona State for his ministry last year, it really speaks to his character.

Can't tell if joking or serious.
  • Upvote 1

I told my wife about this "extension" and she thought I was kidding. Apparently, SMU is Bizarro-University and their coach is Bizarro Martian Manhunter. "Me am J'oon J'onzz! Everyone in full stadium, watch we national championship! Mwahahahaha!"