Dec 2 - HOD Bowl Team Announcements

bdan2002

I think CUSA Commish' Brit Banowsky knows exactly which school in CUSA would sell the most tickets for a HOD Bowl game and make "HIS" conference look good. We will all be over this UTSA disaster after we beat Tulsa. For that game Coach Mac needs to call his mentor Fry and get a few of Hayden's infamous exotic plays in his playbook and use another QB if Thompson is obviously having a bad day in Tulsa Town.

I think our not being in the CUSA championship may actually be an advantage; that is, if we get the HOD Bowl invite and perhaps even because of it.

The HOD Bowl being a 1/1/14 bowl would give us almost a month to sell tickets and...........to get next year's team ready for Spring football plus get the right 2'nd string QB some snaps who could play in the HOD Bowl game if Thompson is cold as a mackeral.

GMG!

PS: Off topic but I still say if DT/#7 would have played like he did against Ball State of the bowl bustin' MAC that we would have beaten UTSA by 3 or 4 TD's. He didn't. Not mean't as a smack toward him at all, but I just cannot remember seeing him so off on his passes and even when he had enough time to set up and hit his receivers. I think we left 14 points on the football field because of his inaccuracy matter of fact; maybe even 21 but it is what it is......Damn! We all sure hated losing to THAT school, now didn't we? :hair:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I imagine UTSA would bring a lot of fans to whichever bowl they end up in. The excitement surrounding an upstart FBS programs making a bowl game in their 2nd/3rd years in the grownup league must be immense.

Also, by my math, it's possible only two of the 12 Texas FBS programs won't be "eligible" for a bowl -- UTEP and TCU (assuming SMU pulls off an upset in their final two games).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I imagine UTSA would bring a lot of fans to whichever bowl they end up in. The excitement surrounding an upstart FBS programs making a bowl game in their 2nd/3rd years in the grownup league must be immense.

Also, by my math, it's possible only two of the 12 Texas FBS programs won't be "eligible" for a bowl -- UTEP and TCU (assuming SMU pulls off an upset in their final two games).

In what NCAA universe would UTSA get a bowl game since all the stars in the galaxy would have to align for them to have a remote chance?

Yes, I'm sure they would bring a good crowd to Dallas but unless no one else noticed the day we beat UTEP at Apogee we outdrew UTSA who was playing Tulane in the AlamoDome for a game that was as important to the RR's as our game was to them. They played well Saturday but our team had already been told by those who apparently knew that they would have a bowl game while UTSA was still extremely motivated to get even their remote chance for one which would inspire most any team--plus they played well....and we played flat as a pancake.

:bling: I only hope CUSA doesn't have to go down in quality for us to have a chance to win its championships every year, though. And I'd prefer UTSA keep it going on with their crowds in the 30's and 40's instead of their dipping down to meet our annual attendance sub-standards. I hope we don't have alums start bragging on this board about even this year's attendance averages, either. We are operating well below the quality and standards that hardly befit our school with the enrollment it has along with its geographical population base of over 7,000,000 people.

It is the hope of many that our new UNT president will inspire others to set new standards which might even mean actual goal-setting in season ticket sales and higher attendance averages since those are still the 2 main criteria which allows schools like all the ones who've passed us by in decades past to...........pass us by. We played a school last Saturday, folks, that could very well be the next one if we don't watch out and if we don't start taking care of our business as an NCAA FBS level program.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

In what NCAA universe would UTSA get a bowl game since all the stars in the galaxy would have to align for them to have a chance?

Yes, I'm sure they would bring a good crowd to Dallas but unless no one else noticed the day we beat UTEP at Apogee we outdrew UTSA who was playing Tulane in the AlamoDome for a game that was as important to the RR's as our game was to them.

I only hope CUSA doesn't have to go down in quality for us to have a chance to win its championships, though. And I'd prefer UTSA keep going on with their crowds in the 30's and 40's instead of dipping down to our annual attendance standards, too.

UTSA already said they were not bowl eligible. The fans are whining and somehow think they can fight the NCAA (good luck. If Ohio State can't, neither can you.)

UTSA will be sitting at home come bowl season. Fact.

• Upvote 2

UTSA already said they were not bowl eligible. The fans are whining and somehow think they can fight the NCAA (good luck. If Ohio State can't, neither can you.)

UTSA will be sitting at home come bowl season. Fact.

There are going to be 7 bowl-eligible teams from C-USA competing for spots in 6 guaranteed bowl tie-ins (FAU will beat FIU to become bowl eligible). That does not include UTSA's 6 or 7 win year. No bowl for them. FAU may also be left at home.

• Upvote 2

I could see HoD taking the best record of UTSA, Rice, UNT if that team is not in the liberty.

HoD is not a given for us. Don't set yourselves up for disappointment. We still have games to play and win.

UTSA can only go if there are not 70 bowl-eligible teams. There are currently 69 with 4 teams sitting at 5 wins that are favored to win this week.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2013/11/utsas-bowl-hopes-dwindle-with-69-teams-now-eligible/

• Upvote 1

From insideRunnerSports.com - If the NCAA has reached their 70 teams or gone over, UTSA will NOT be allowed to submit a waiver. And according to the UTSA AD they will not submit a waiver.

UTSA is stuck in the transition zone and not eligible for post-season bowl play unless not enough teams are available. However, they are eligible to play for a conference title and that's where their post-season hopes lay.

UTSA can only go if there are not 70 bowl-eligible teams. There are currently 69 with 4 teams sitting at 5 wins that are favored to win this week.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2013/11/utsas-bowl-hopes-dwindle-with-69-teams-now-eligible/

I understand, I was referring more to Rice. I don't see why the HoD wouldn't want the best team available from texas (or LaTech) in a given year if they aren't already in the liberty bowl.

What's the worst record a team has had in the HoD?

The rule is that UTSA can only apply for a waiver if there are unfilled spots.

It doesn't matter who it is--I repeat, who it is--the NCAA is not going to tell a more tenured program with 6 wins to stay at home so transitional UTSA can go bowling.

So UTSA cannot file a waiver or form or complaint. There's nothing they can do after one 5 win team wins tomorrow.

Period, end of story.

Edited by meangreener

Six raindrops and or 40 degree weather and you will be able to shoot a cannon through the North Texas section and not hit anyone. The turnout for the UTSA game was pathetic considering what was on the line.

• Upvote 4

That was my thought, unless there was a veto UTSA could play in the Liberty if they won. Then somebody else could fill a spot in the shuffle if another conference couldn't field enough teams (or had somebody vetoed by the bowl or opposing conference, like maybe CMU). On the off chance that we get extra teams in bowls, that's more money for us.

And I would be interested to see how our fat check from bowl money shares is used. Maybe fancier promotions like a lot of you wanted, hmm? That would be awesome.

All that being said, I like our chances for HoD if they aren't going to wait for the championship game to be played. Plus, the payout isn't a whole lot less than the Liberty and our expenses will be less, AND we will bring more fans, so aside from the hype of playing in/winning a championship game, things are working out pretty well for our "backup plan". I guess if Rice were to lose this weekend they might offer them instead...and what about Tulane? But still, I think it's very likely that as long as we handle Tulsa we will be heading to HoD. And there is a tiny chance I might be in town that week for family stuff, and if that happens I'll see you there...if not I'll have a watch party here for whoever is in town!