McCarney had better apologize for this

GreenFlag

I am more than embarrassed by this team. I flew in from NY, brought 5 people to the game, and we were thumped by a shitty JUCO team. As I see it, I deserve some refund from the athletic department for allowing me in to Apogee stadium to see a turd like that.

Are they really shitty? I remember the grumbling when they made to CUSA but I never expected them to suck for long. Should we have beat them? Yes. But we got outplayed, pure and simple.

There were two shitty teams on the field today, and UNT was the more shitty the two. We should've never lost to them. We were bad on both sides of the ball. Hopes for a great season, and capturing the attention of alumni outside of DFW are gone.

Are they really shitty? I remember the grumbling when they made to CUSA but I never expected them to suck for long. Should we have beat them? Yes. But we got outplayed, pure and simple.

• Upvote 1

I"ll throw this one on the coaches. I think when I looked at this scoreboard after the first quarter, they were already at 150 yards of offense. They ran the same quick screen over and over and we didn't adjust. They obviously saw something on film that they could exploit. At least our kicker was better. I didn't expect much from the offense, so not disappointed there.

I was at the Rice game when we lost by a point. That one was just as painful.

I"ll throw this one on the coaches. I think when I looked at this scoreboard after the first quarter, they were already at 150 yards of offense. They ran the same quick screen over and over and we didn't adjust. They obviously saw something on film that they could exploit. At least our kicker was better. I didn't expect much from the offense, so not disappointed there.

I was at the Rice game when we lost by a point. That one was just as painful.

Yes, this loss hurts, but far from the most embarrassing. We were outcoached, had some terrible penalties, but still had a chance on the last play of the game. 2 penalties really stick out in my mind. The first was the 1st false start penalty on the 1 yd line that resulted in settling for the fg instead of the touchdown. The 2nd penalty was the offsides on 3rd & 10 w/ 3 min left that allowed UTSA to convert after the penalty. That resulted in using all of our timeouts on defense, giving us only 1:10 left on the final drive for the potential tie.

I think that this was as embarrassing loss as we've had.

First, this is a provisional FBS team. They aren't even fully qualified until next year and can't even go to a bowl unless there is a slot that can't be filled due to lack of qualifiers.

Notice I didn't say humiliating loss....just embarrassing.

Here's what it has or could have cost us....

The West Division crown

Revenue from a championship playoff game

The Liberty or Heart of Dallas Bowl

Recruits

Fan support

Season ticket holders

Mean Green Club donations

Positive press

The feeling could be that we aren't very good. Ball State and Rice were our only wins over a team with a winning record. The loss put us behind Rice and Tulane in the West and East Carolina and Marshall in the East. I do believe that UTSA is a rapidly improving team and deserved to win but this is truly disappointing.

Edit: I'm sorry, but this may have dropped us to fourth in the West; I didn't check UTSA's record.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 7

It is a massive disappointment, but not because it was UTSA. It was disappointing because the execution on offense wasn't there. It was almost nothing the UTSA defense did. They stacked the box and dared us to throw and when we did they weren't in position to make plays: Thompson simply wasn't accurate enough. Even on intermediate throws.

Their offense on the other hand executed perfectly. In fact, if I remember correctly, the only reason we got stops was because UTSA beat themselves. I feel like I watched us get beat by a Todd Dodge offense executed perfectly.

They had a plan. I'm not sure what ours was.

Also I'm not disappointed with Derek Thompson, we've seen him make those throws before. I'm disappointed that he wasn't able to make them on senior day in his last home game. All the seniors I'm disappointed for them. They've all been around for some really not fun times here and I wish that tonight was more fun for them.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

I think that this was as embarrassing loss as we've had.

First, this is a provisional FBS team. They aren't even fully qualified until next year and can't even go to a bowl unless there is a slot that can't be filled due to lack of qualifiers.

Notice I didn't say humiliating loss....just embarrassing.

All humiliating means is "extremely embarrassing." So if we've ever been humiliated in a loss before, then that was more embarrassing than this.

Here's what it has or could have cost us....

The West Division crown

Revenue from a championship playoff game

The Liberty or Heart of Dallas Bowl

Recruits

Fan support

Season ticket holders

Mean Green Club donations

Positive press

Some of those things, it will be difficult to ever know for sure. But losing a shot at the West title, and ultimately the C-USA title, definitely hurts.

Ball State and Rice were our only wins over a team with a winning record.

Middle (7-4).

Congrats to UTSA...they've been saying for almost since we knew we would be conference-mates how they were going to kick our butts....guess they knew something we didn't. A HFC with a national championship under his belt did more than I thought it would. (Like many of you, I am still quite happy with our UNT HFC, though).

Too many over-thrown and under-thrown passes this afternoon....that's all I really need to say about that EXCEPT....3 of those over-throws had 6 points written all over them; but yes, I know--it was a team loss. DT#7 did not have a good game today at all, but he's had other good games which has helped us get to (imagine this).............7 wins.

LOOKING BACK: WE HAVE BEEN SUCH A BENEVOLENT FOOTBALL SCHOOL O YES WE HAVE:

North Texas helped out Bill Snyder and Kansas State when we became his first win back in the late 80's; UNT was UA-Birmingham's first ever FBS level win as I recall, too; continuing with our most benevolent mode the Mean Green was South Florida's first ever FBS level win just as well; an upstart FAU beat North Texas during 2 of our bowl seasons when they were an SBC member-in-waiting football program. I guess we have been the best damn thing to happen to several up and coming football programs of which some we'd all have to admit to each other have even passed our favorite school by.

Today's attendance may have been our biggest loss, though, but I guaran'damn'tee you the new UNT president is going to get a very well worded/crafted letter with all the necessary researched statistics as to why that has been an on-going problem when it should not be that at all in our DFW population center of almost 8 million souls. The new UNT Prez' may also very well read as to how it takes UNT almost 3 home games to draw what UTSA drew in a single game in this their Year 3 of an NCAA football existence.

Today's weather was perfect for November--hell, the sun almost peeked thru the clouds during the 3'rd quarter. Still, aren't we all just about tired of all the excuses that we have been conditioned to keep buying into all these years and so many of our elect accepting each one in order to (I suppose).................go along to get along? :(

Yes, I'm piss-you're pissed but I am not going to pat mediocrity on the back at UNT and subsequently become just as much a part of the problem as those who keep annually producing them with their (still) having no viable "get out there among the masses" marketing program as to introduce thousands of Denton County newcomers to Apogee Stadium and the Mean Green football program. Coach Mac has a reason to point his finger--just don't think he's always pointing it in the right direction, though.

Building Apogee (25 years a bit late) is only half the solution at UNT---the other half is filling the damn thing EVERY Game Day. Some upstarts seem to have figured out how to do solve what they don't see as a problem in less than 3 years.

Still, here we are in our 100'th year of playying college football and we still basically draw almost what we did when I was a student post Indian wars. It's almost like we don't retain our fans and alums thru each of the last 4 or so decades, but with so many newcomers moving from all over the USA into Denton County do we really need to even depend on that demographic any longer?

Tulsa U Next Saturday? I was 17 years old in 1968 last time we beat the Golden Hurricane on an ABC regional televised game on Houston's KTRK Channel 13 . Coach Mac will I'm sure tell our team how long it's been. I have never liked our chances against Tulsa anytime we've teed it up and in any era for that matter.

04-cheers.gif Still.............A toast to the North Texas coaches and players who have played an enormous part in setting this Mean Green ship in the right direction this Fall. UTSA cannot take that away. Still today, those pistons were just not running congruently at all. It made a big difference on the scoreboard even w/o taking anything from the UTSA's impressive efforts.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Congrats to UTSA...they've been saying for almost since we knew we would be conference-mates how they were going to kick our butts....guess they knew something we didn't. A HFC with a national championship under his belt did more than I thought it would. (Like many of you, I am still quite happy with our UNT HFC, though).

Too many over-thrown and under-thrown passes this afternoon....that's all I really need to say about that EXCEPT....3 of those over-throws had 6 points written all over them; but yes, I know--it was a team loss. DT#7 did not have a good game today at all, but he's had other good games which has helped us get to (imagine this).............7 wins.

LOOKING BACK: WE HAVE BEEN SUCH A BENEVOLENT FOOTBALL SCHOOL O YES WE HAVE:

North Texas helped out Bill Snyder and Kansas State when we became his first win back in the late 80's; UNT was UA-Birmingham's first ever FBS level win as I recall, too; the Mean Green was South Florida's first ever FBS level win just as well; An upstart FAU beat North Texas during 2 of our bowl seasons when they were an SBC member-in-waiting football program. I guess we have been the best damn thing to happen to several up and coming programs of which some we'd all have to admit have passed our favorite school by.

Today's attendance may have been our biggest loss, though, but I guaran'damn'tee you the new UNT president is going to get a very well worded letter with all the necessary researched statistics as to why that has been on-going problem. He may very well also read how it takes UNT almost 3 home game turnstile numbers to draw what UTSA drew in a single game in this their Year 3 of NCAA football existance. Today's weather was perfect for November--hell, the sun almost peeked thru the clouds during the 3'rd quarter. Still, aren't we all just about tired of all the excuses that we have been conditioned to keep buying into all these years and so many of our elect excepting each one in order to.................go along to get along? :(

Yes, I'm piss-you're pissed but I am not going to pat mediocrity on the back at UNT and subsequently become just as much a part of the problem as those who keep annually producing them with their (still) having no viable "get out there among the masses" marketing program as to introduce thousands of Denton County newcomers to Apogee Stadium and Mean Green football program. Coach Mac has a reason to point his finger--just don't think he's always pointing it in the right direction, though.

Tulsa U Next Saturday? I was 17 years old in 1968 last time we beat the Golden Hurricane on an ABC regional televised game on Houston's KTRK Channel 13 . Coach Mac will I'm sure tell our team how long it's been. I have never liked our chances against Tulsa anytime we've teed it up and in any era for that matter.

04-cheers.gif Still.............A toast to the North Texas coaches and players who have played an enormous part in setting this Mean Green ship in the right direction this Fall. UTSA cannot take that away. Still today, those pistons were just not running congruently at all. It made a big difference on the scoreboard even w/o taking anything from the UTSA's impressive efforts.

GMG!

I read the first paragraph. I agree with it. I'm sure the rest is a really good post. Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I read the first paragraph. I agree with it. I'm sure the rest is a really good post.

Yeah, it only takes about 2 1/2 minutes more to finish it, but I realize that is a stretch for some who

seem to think anything past a sentence or two is not worthy of all the other 4 or 5 hours of their personal computer time they will daily spend on GMG.com and...................during weekdays with some pressed for time and unable to read past 1 paragraph per post and also for some who should honest-to-goodness consider posting less smack (from a safe distance, of course) & consider giving more personal production time to each of their respective employers in the first place.

:schmuck020:To get a red number from some of the Roman mob'esque milleniums on this board who I will simply defer to as our low information bunch of the very naive and those who non-stop buy into any excuse-making that UNT athletics continues to give them is like a badge of freakin' honor for this 42 year fan of the Mean Green. JUST GIVE YOURSELVES 42 YEARS OF FOLLOWING WHAT TOO MANY TIMES MANY OF US HAVE SEEN TO BE A 3 RING CIRCUS COMING FROM THE "NEVER SEEM TO HAVE TO ANSWER TO ANYONE" UNT ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT WHO ALSO JUST CANNOT SEEM TO EVER GROW THIS PROGRAM'S FAN BASE NO MATTER HOW LARGE OUR UNT CONSTITUENCY'S NUMBERS CONTINUE TO SKY-ROCKET TO & THEN SEE........HOW DAMNED RED YOU BECOME. :growl:

OK now, time for a few of you to get back to your milk & cookies time of the day, especially those of you who need those little green apples numbers for you to feel acceptance from your hardy little handful of a peer group on this forum. And also time for each of you to get in front of your mirrors and re-affirm this to yourselves & even from one of your very own (as seen in the YouTube below):

:mom:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

My only worry, and it's a big one, a loss to a team like UTSA could potentiialy knock us from the HOD Bowl. If we had won out and lost in the CUSA title game, we'd be more appealing to the HOD committee. Now, not so much. Man this stinks. :(

Honestly, if we can't score against TUSA until the 4th quarter and with how bad we looked tonight (esp defense), I don't think we're ready for a bowl game. I agree with one other poster that everything we have worked so hard for this season is down the drain with this loss. Just as fans were hopping back on the wagon and buzz was all around, we just proved to them that we're still the same old North Texas. How can we think we can beat ECU or Marshall when we can't even beat a 3 year old program? This is just pathetic.

• Upvote 2

UTSA played tuff & with a chip on their shoulder...NT not so much.

...meanwhile Georgia Southern (DII) upsets a down Florida.

We're going to have to "step up" and start taking it to whoever...big, small or new.

Can we please burn those stupid "horn stripe" pants after this year? ...they're not helping our mojo

Edited by 3XL
  • Upvote 1

We were definitely outcoached in EVERY facet of the game tonight...player preparedness, focus, game planning, making adjustments...not to mention the usual 3 - offense, defense, and special teams.

VERY disappointing to witness with what was on the line. This is a tough game to swallow.

Blame goes to the coaches and the players. Everyone realizes UNT lost to a 3rd year football, don't you? UNT laid a big turd today. And chances are, yes, UNT lost some donors at the club level.

Let me repeat so that it will sink in- North Texas lost to a third year football program.

• Upvote 1

Blame goes to the coaches and the players. Everyone realizes UNT lost to a 3rd year football, don't you? UNT laid a big turd today. And chances are, yes, UNT lost some donors at the club level.

Let me repeat so that it will sink in- North Texas lost to a third year football program.

For all intents and purposes, NT almost is a 3rd year football program. Thankful for our seniors who have been with us for so long, but I hope they can tell you what has changed in the past 3 years of this program.

• Upvote 1