Very Early, Very Preliminary Game Day Weather For UTSA

MeanGreenWithEnvy

i have a fear there will be around 8k

Not this season for this football team and this game...if we'd had another losing football season your estimate of 8K would have probably been too high. (Good gosh---did anyone see how few fans there were in Colorado Springs as Air Force hosted UNLV last night)?

If a dry day at Apogee tomorrow with what Big 10 fans would call a warm, balmy perfect Game Day keeps our fans away from a game which still has much riding on it then we almost need to start from scratch and develop a new fan base that would be much more mentally tougher. (Not really...we are all happy with our fan base who have stuck with this football program for almost a decade of losing seasons--it still just needs many more new faces is all). :(

And isn't it times like these that we wish we would have sold 10K-15K season tickets last Spring/Summer? Wonder what the new UNT president will say when he sees way too many empty seats for our games no matter who we play? A man who raised almost a billion(?) at UNLV I would think will tend to be marketing (and football tickets selling) savvy and will probably listen no excuses.

Change at the right time can be good for a university-- especially in a beaurocracy that can tend to get stale and set in its ways.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Based on the weather I now see about 14-17Kish. I really hope I am wrong but unfortunately we're not on that level yet where weather doesn't affect attendance.

So rather than worry about it, lets strap up the boots and go take it on as the fans we are. That is all we can do. I'm beyond tired of being made to feel guilty about the sins of others I have no control of.

i just don't know, outside this website, how loyal UNT fans are.

How many were loyal at the Air Force versus UNLV game last night at Colorado Springs? And amazingly, there are many more fans who show up at Apogee who don't even know this website (or any other UNT-oriented sites) even exists.

North Texas doesn't own attendance problems in the G5, either. Last 2 Game Day crowds at Apogee have been pretty good for a program whose casuals and borderline fans will still need 2 or 3 winning seasons before they believe all this is for real. Having had losing football seasons most of the last 10 or so years tends to create those kind of fans is what my 42 years of following all this has taught me.

GMG!

PS: On Halloween Night, North Texas outdrew the Houston Coogs and the Washington State(?) games at the turnstiles.

We still need a viable season tickets sales program accompanied by a real marketing program where we start seeing school buses filled with fans all over the place on our Game Days. When is the last time anyone saw more than 2 or 3 public school buses filled with kids for a Game Day at Apogee Stadium? Really...when was the last time anyone saw that? Some fans may be able to fill up their cars with friends and relatives on Game DAy...but we need those who have all the lists who will see that bus after bus filled with Mean Green fans show up at Apogee at our future Game Days. Obviously, that will make a difference in the attendance part of the Apogee Stadium boxscore.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

How many were loyal at the Air Force versus UNLV game last night at Colorado Springs? And amazingly, there are many more fans who show up at Apogee who don't even know this website (or any other UNT-oriented sites) even exists.

North Texas doesn't own attendance problems in the G5, either. Last 2 Game Day crowds at Apogee have been pretty good for a program whose casuals and borderline fans will still need 2 or 3 winning seasons before they believe all this is real. Having had past losing football seasons most of the last 10 or so years tends to create those kind of fans is what my 42 years of following all this has taught me.

PMG--great post.

One thing I have finally had pounded into my thick skull is that we aren't alone in attendance issues...esepcially among other non-AQs.

UNT has some major winning still to do to get traction in attendance just with our students and alumni, but the reality is that most non-AQs don't get a ton of support from outside of those groups, either. The towns and regions that these non-AQs call home just don't support these schools at a huge level unless you are winning AND playing teams that they have heard of or care about. Teams like SMU, Rice, Tulane, and Tulsa don't have the alumni numbers or enrollment to lean on, but their big cities just don't care about them. Teams like UH, UNT, UTEP, and UTSA have the enrollment and alumni, but they lose a lot to other activites being held in those large metro areas. And the teams like ULM, La Tech, Arkansas State, and Western Kentucky just don't have enough population around them to get much outside support.

• Upvote 1

We got icicles in Parker County.

Rick

Rick:

Was just talking to a fellow friend of ours and told him the same thing. Almost ice skated down my ramp deck attached to my back door area matter of fact.

I think 40 plus degrees at kick-off tomorrow will take care of what's going on now.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

show up if you can... Our football team will. I just don't want to hear/read about people bitching how bad attendance was. We all know what we face. And history is against us. Just watch the game and cheer em on. Do they deserve a large crowd sure, but I'm not delusional to think this thing will be sold out. Do what you can. And yes I was at our bad weather games in the past.

Edited by filmerj

The further to the west the colder the temps are. Dallas, Denton, and Tarrant counties do not have a freeze warning right now as the temps are not expected to drop below the freezing point. Sunday night Monday morning are a different story though.

It was almost 80 degrees yesterday, and now here in Parker County we are getting a light freeze (nothing that would ever stick) and tomorrow at Apogee it will be 40 or more degrees.

Come on, folks, we're Texans and know how our weather can be.

40 degrees and dry at a Big 10 football game in November would be called perfect weather.

• Upvote 1