Who should be our next Men's head coach?

UNT90

Here is an idea. Hire a guy that has done it before. Like we should have done this last time. Like we were told WOULD be done this last time.

Go get Sxott Cross. Solid coach who recruited good talent to, until recently, the worst dacikities in NCAA D1.

Don't wait.

Dead RV,

This thing is going to get out of control very quickly this year. Fix your freaking mistake. You have a perfect fill in for the rest if the year already as an assistant.

Don't hesitate to do what you should have done immediately after Hot Springs.

The Pit is the titanic, and the ice berg struck last yeAr. Lower the F'n lifeboats already!

Um, what? Is this Greek? Tasty, can you translate?

Scott Cross is exactly who I was thinking and would want. I'm from Arlington and seeing what he did with indeed the worst facilities is beyond impressive. He's brought in some solid recruits and he develops them very well.

Only thing is UTA is his alma mater. I hope we could pull him away, because he would be a very nice hire.

Scott Cross is exactly who I was thinking and would want. I'm from Arlington and seeing what he did with indeed the worst facilities is beyond impressive. He's brought in some solid recruits and he develops them very well.

Only thing is UTA is his alma mater. I hope we could pull him away, because he would be a very nice hire.

Houston was Art Briles Alma Mater...

Money talks. Bullshit walks

It's not going to be like last time, when people were lining up to coach a team with a lottery prospect.

It will be hard this time. I have little faith we will make the right decision.

I think we would still a very attractive job, just because of location and facilities. We just need to hire an experienced head coach--its shocking that the only time we've done this in the last 30 years at UNT in football or men's hoops is McCarney and now we are finally seeing the light at the end of this very dark tunnel there. But hiring an assistant coach with no previous head coaching experience damn near killed our football team for 20 years, which is my fear here with our hoops team.

• Upvote 2

Would any of y'all ever give Shawn Forrest a chance? From what I've heard the players originally wanted him after Jones left. I know he doesn't have head coaching experience but the core of this team respects him and he's a great recruiter who knows the area very well. He knows what this team is good at and he knows the players very well. I was just wondering if any of y'all would do this? I understand the concern with him not being a head coach. Just an idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Would any of y'all ever give Shawn Forrest a chance? From what I've heard the players originally wanted him after Jones left. I know he doesn't have head coaching experience but the core of this team respects him and he's a great recruiter who knows the area very well. He knows what this team is good at and he knows the players very well. I was just wondering if any of y'all would do this? I understand the concern with him not being a head coach. Just an idea.

I think there's too much pride on the side of both parties for that to happen.
  • Upvote 2

No thank you.

I don't mind getting an up and coming assistant when you're starting over. Finding a diamond might be worth the chance because you have nothing to lose. But in our situation last year, you either hire a former head guy, or promote from within to keep continuity. We did neither.

Edited by CMJ

Good choice, but I thought I saw that UTA was losing big last night to Boise State...they lost 116 to 87. Pretty much a blowout in Boise. Boise had a 61-39 halftime lead and cruised home in the second half. While Boise is pretty good, using some logic put forth on this board you would have to say Cross might just be available. But, would we want a guy who can't coach his players enough for them to beat Boise or at least not be down 61-39 at half?

Sarcasm alert if you did not catch it. Just waiting for the apologists to now come on and say how that is not his fault and how he beat UNT, blah, blah, blah. So last year. The guy obviously forgot how to coach as those UTA players certainly had no part to play in that blowout, right?

I know, I know...big difference, one game, but the opportunity was too good to pass up. Let the "usual suspects" negative away, but it was fun. Had to do something after that Northwood game last night!

Scott Cross is a good coach and UTA is plenty happy with him. Doubtful he will be leaving to go anywhere unless for a much bigger program with a much bigger pile of money.

Good choice, but I thought I saw that UTA was losing big last night to Boise State...they lost 116 to 87. Pretty much a blowout in Boise. Boise had a 61-39 halftime lead and cruised home in the second half. While Boise is pretty good, using some logic put forth on this board you would have to say Cross might just be available. But, would we want a guy who can't coach his players enough for them to beat Boise or at least not be down 61-39 at half?

Sarcasm alert if you did not catch it. Just waiting for the apologists to now come on and say how that is not his fault and how he beat UNT, blah, blah, blah. So last year. The guy obviously forgot how to coach as those UTA players certainly had no part to play in that blowout, right?

I know, I know...big difference, one game, but the opportunity was too good to pass up. Let the "usual suspects" negative away, but it was fun. Had to do something after that Northwood game last night!

Scott Cross is a good coach and UTA is plenty happy with him. Doubtful he will be leaving to go anywhere unless for a much bigger program with a much bigger pile of money.

You'd be surprised at how much more Cross could make here and not have to change his life dramatically. CUSA job in DFW is way above being a coach of a SBC school in DFW.

• Upvote 2

Yea, NT needs another ace recruiter for HC. Why would anybody hire someone because the players like him? Every good coach has to be able to recruit, but all recruiters don't have to be able to coach. Based on Trilli and Benford, I would certainly question the desire to hire another assistant whose main focus is to recruit not coach.

I feel like I am alone in my optimism of this team and the fact that Benford should get more than one year before judgement. Last year he inherited 2 "stars" who didn't know how to make grades and, in my opinion, a cancer to the team. Not to say anything of the injuries.

Why am I the only one with any patience, it seems?

Are you on any medication?

For a serious answer: when the same players had a competent coach they went to the conference title game even though they had a bunch of injuries and two ineligible players. Because if you watch the games and this coach you can see that he is lost. Because if you look at the stats nearly every player regressed year to year.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

when the same players had a competent coach they went to the conference title game

I am not sure what "same players" you are talking about. From what I can tell, only 1 player under Jones has played under Benford (Holmen) and his production (stat wise) was higher under Benford.

*NOTED ERROR HERE. Corrected below.

Because if you look at the stats nearly every player regressed year to year.

Also, not sure what regression you are looking at. Thus far, (though small sample size) the returning players from last year (5 total) are averaging, collectively, 31.6 more points, 21.3 more rebounds, and 3.8 more assists per game thus far. This is in large part due to Chris, Jordan and Brandon missing so much. Also, Keith's contribution are up far more.

Lastly, I will argue that using some conjecture, that we would have lost the Northwood game last year. This team, albeit sloppy, looks better than last year.

Edited by andrewrozell
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I am not sure what "same players" you are talking about. From what I can tell, only 1 player under Jones has played under Benford (Holmen) and his production (stat wise) was higher under Benford.

Also, not sure what regression you are looking at. Thus far, (though small sample size) the returning players from last year (5 total) are averaging, collectively, 31.6 more points, 21.3 more rebounds, and 3.8 more assists per game thus far. This is in large part due to Chris, Jordan and Brandon missing so much. Also, Keith's contribution are up far more.

Lastly, I will argue that using some conjecture, that we would have lost the Northwood game last year. This team, albeit sloppy, looks better than last year.

Wow. Follow UNT basketball much?

If you think Jacob Holmen is the only player to play under both Coach Jones and Coach Benford then you really should not be arguing with people who actually keep up with this team.

And I'm so tired of hearing people say "we would've lost the Northwood game last year." We should never be playing close to that team. Even as well as they played, that should never be closer than a 20 point game after the first 15 minutes.