New BCS Standings

Cerebus

999. UTSA

Way too high.

But on a much more serious note, does anyone remember UNT's highest BCS ranking during the New Orleans bowl years? Did we ever make it into the 40s? Does anyone know our highest rank ever achieved in the history of this crappy BCS thing?

• Upvote 1

But on a much more serious note, does anyone remember UNT's highest BCS ranking during the New Orleans bowl years? Did we ever make it into the 40s? Does anyone know our highest rank ever achieved in the history of this crappy BCS thing?

If I remember correctly the BCS rankings only released a top 25 at the time. I don't think complete listings were made available until later.

However, I remember that at the end of the 2003 season most computer rankings had us in the low 40s, so likely our BCS ranking was there also.

• Upvote 1

I thought we got to 38th in the Massey rankings at one point during the bowl years... Could be wrong?

I believe we were ranked in the top 25 during the Fry years... 16th maybe?

Rick

Rick I was thinking 38 as well, glad you said it.

I don't think the computers are supposed to take point differential into their equations to prevent teams running up the score for no reason.

They don't but like they said on College Game Day yesterday morning. The human polls carry more weight.

If NT beats UTEP by 65, UTSA by 30 (would have been 70 like NT 90 said) and Tulsa by 55 (we owe those bastards an embarrassing loss), it might move up to around 40. But I don't care if NT wins everyone by 1, I'll be happy.

• Upvote 1

Question from someone who just spent 30 minutes learning about how these rankings work.. Do the voters in coaches poll really rank all 125 teams or just top 25? Same question for Harris interactive. Is this really a 1/3 1/3 1/3 ranking or just an average(lowest and highest dropped) of our computer rankings?

• Upvote 1

So to put this in perspective LaLa has a 48 average computer but swung 5 coaches poll votes to put them at 32. The lowest ranked team to receive a vote from Harris or Coaches at 2 and 1 respectively is Arizona at 38.Basically the human factor is important even just getting a few votes.

Human component is 2/3 and the computer composite average is 1/3.. We are in dire need of someone in the DFW area to throw us a bone at this point. That or one of the beat writers in Ohio wanting to prop up Ohio or Ball State

• Upvote 1