Leaving Downtown Ft. Worth at about 4pm

oldguystudent

So if you were me, leaving downtown Fort Worth at 4pm, would you attempt getting up 35W all the way to Denton? Would you sneak up 377? If I decided on one or the other, am I committed the whole way?

I never drive this direction from work, so I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks.

It been a while since I had to drive that way on a regular basis, but I would say 35 is your best bet. No you aren't locked in to either road should there be a wreck.

Ohhh, thats tricky. 35 bottlenecks at Keller, usually starts getting bad around 4.

But Ol Denton highway can also be a pain because of all of the folks pouring into No FW, and there are a bunch of lights.

I think 35 is the call because once you get past Keller its usually smooth sailing.

Here is a good trick leaving downtown that will save you some time.

Get to the North side of Downtown and take Weatherford/Belknap East to Sylvania. Take Sylvania North all the way to Meacham then cut back West onto the highway.

That will get you out of all the 35 - 121 traffic.

Ohhh, thats tricky. 35 bottlenecks at Keller, usually starts getting bad around 4.

But Ol Denton highway can also be a pain because of all of the folks pouring into No FW, and there are a bunch of lights.

I think 35 is the call because once you get past Keller its usually smooth sailing.

Here is a good trick leaving downtown that will save you some time.

Get to the North side of Downtown and take Weatherford/Belknap East to Sylvania. Take Sylvania North all the way to Meacham then cut back West onto the highway.

That will get you out of all the 35 - 121 traffic.

I've done something similar to that for my usual drive on 183/121, because, dude. Tacos. But yeah, I know what you're talking about. I think the call there is what the gridlock looks like at the 35/183 split.

If you are leaving downtown FW, go north on main (business 287) until you get to Meachum field. Turn right (e/ne) on 156 (blue mound) and go over to the 820 east ramp. It's a short distance to the N 35W ramp from there. It's better than fighting with downtown 35 traffic all the way to 820. My wife used to work right across the street from the Star Telegram building and we lived on the north side of Saginaw. We never got on 35 to get home.

Ya OGS, I still go that way on basketball weekday games from west Fort Worth. Listen to huff. If you can get north of 820 or at least to meachem before getting on 35w you will do yourself a favor. Since I'm on the west side of loop 820 I usually just take that north to the 35w exit. It can be bad, but it is minimized. Do not get on 35w heading north from 30. You will hate yourself.

If you are leaving downtown FW, go north on main (business 287) until you get to Meachum field. Turn right (e/ne) on 156 (blue mound) and go over to the 820 east ramp. It's a short distance to the N 35W ramp from there. It's better than fighting with downtown 35 traffic all the way to 820. My wife used to work right across the street from the Star Telegram building and we lived on the north side of Saginaw. We never got on 35 to get home.

I'm more for that one, especially if heading out from the northern part of downtown. I'd cross the river bridge and at least get up to the Stockyards area before hanging a right to 35 and then north to Denton.

Guys. I just realized something.

Today through Sunday is another round of events and racing at Texas Motor Speedway.

Avoid I-35W at all costs or else you ain't going nowhere.

http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/texas-motor-speedway-race-tickets/race-weekend-public-schedule

People who have experienced that stretch know that its damn near impossible to move once you're there.

Edited by Christopher Walker

This.

I would suggest staying on 156 and taking it north and cutting back over to I35 just south of the I35/US287 split (forget the road). If the construction is still happening on I35W NB north of 820, you may want to just take 156 all the way up to just south of the speedway and cut over to I35. Of course, being race week and all, I don't know how that will work out. I will say that I have used 156 to get to the track on race day for a Sprint (Winston) Cup race and was amazed at the relative lack of traffic.

It's a gamble, but not as big as the one on I35W right now.