Southern Miss Fans Talking North Texas Game

Harry

I was looking all their other threads over and still have yet to find an explanation as to how they go from their 2011-12 season (which was almost perfect) to their 2012-13 season, which was absolutely awful.

See La. Tech this year.

They graduated a butt load of senior contributors, lost a coach, and made a bad hire (see our basketball program).

A really bad trio right there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

See La. Tech this year.

They graduated a butt load of senior contributors, lost a coach, and made a bad hire (see our basketball program).

A really bad trio right there.

That's about what I figured. It does sort of boggle the mind to see programs like LaTech or USM take the tumble they have. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with capitalizing on it.

• Upvote 1

Especially when they were pretty condescending toward North Texas when we were joining and how they were so high and mighty. Never say never. I hope we beat USM bad on Saturday (but will take a 1 point win). Lots of payback to deliver left on our calendar. USM, Rice, Tulsa are all deserving of a North Texas arse whoopin.

• Upvote 5

Love it. They have a "Super Eagle" level poster named "wiseman" that calls us North Texas State, two that have Florida State avatars and one with a half dressed Alabama coed avatar and "Roll Tide" in his signature line. Tells me all I need to know.

• Upvote 2

Good gosh these guys cuss. A. LOT. They make this board seem pretty mild. I understand there is a lot of pride within their fan base but my gosh they are eating their own without prejudice.

• Upvote 2

Haha I laughed out loud at the "STFU Eeyore" post. And that guy that called us pUNT (but still predicted we'd win) must have been following our program for a while...or just a lucky guess. Not as relevant this year, mind you...still funny though.

• Upvote 1

I was looking all their other threads over and still have yet to find an explanation as to how they go from their 2011-12 season (which was almost perfect) to their 2012-13 season, which was absolutely awful.

The fan base is pretty divided on how that happened, but most unanimously believe Ellis Johnson was the root cause.

I'll try to give you my perspective...

When Bower was coach we consistently won 7-8 games, but a lot of our fans were ready to take the next step. He ended up getting fired. Half our fans were pissed cause their buddy got fired, but the other half will tell you it was about to get ugly because Bower's recruiting was dropping off. When Fedora took over I believe there was only 1 offensive lineman with any D-1 experience.

Fedora started off recruiting hot and heavy, but had several guys that did not qualify. After a year or two he seemed to become a little more conservative in his recruiting. Some say he was looking to get out of town so he wasn't trying, but I believe he was focusing on his needs, and trying to bring in guys that could qualify.

Everyone knows we went 12-2, beat no. 6 Houston, and Fedora nearly tripled his salary by taking the UNC job. Johnson came in and we've been 0-18 since.

Now you have a group pointing the finger at Fedora cause we have no depth, but you have to look at the big picture IMO. When Ellis was hired he brought in his buddy to be OC and a high school coach as QB? coach. Well his buddy ended up being an alcoholic who couldn't fulfill his duties as OC, so now we are stuck with a high school coach as OC, who insists on playing his former high school qb (who lived with him at times), even though we had better qualified qbs on the team. The players began referring to this as "daddy ball".

Ellis also hired a real estate agent as our strength and conditioning coach. This guy had been a strength coach for us decades prior, but was long past his prime. Our team completely quit on the coach and the strength program.

Once Monken and his guys came in it was said we were a full year behind on strength and conditioning. I say we were a year behind on coaching as well. Now some are pointing fingers at Fedora as well as Ellis for not recruiting, but I argue that we would be fine if we didn't practically take a year off from football. We have no depth at O-line, but I think most of the blame lies on Ellis Johnson. Not only did he not recruit but because of the ineptitude of the previous staff our seniors are playing at a junior level, juniors at a sophomore level etc.

Most of the fan base believe Monken is the right coach, but noone knows exactly how long it will take to right the ship. Even though we are 0-6 this year it's been more promising than last year. Last year we had a lot more talent and experience, but the team continued to get worse as the year went along. This year we have a ridiculous amount of true freshmen playing, and many of our best players have been injured. (Nunez-Roches DT, Howze LB, Llanos WR, Thompson WR etc.) It is understandable to struggle this year +a learning curve was expected for Monken since this is his first time as a head coach.

• Upvote 3

The fan base is pretty divided on how that happened, but most unanimously believe Ellis Johnson was the root cause.

I'll try to give you my perspective...

When Bower was coach we consistently won 7-8 games, but a lot of our fans were ready to take the next step. He ended up getting fired. Half our fans were pissed cause their buddy got fired, but the other half will tell you it was about to get ugly because Bower's recruiting was dropping off. When Fedora took over I believe there was only 1 offensive lineman with any D-1 experience.

Fedora started off recruiting hot and heavy, but had several guys that did not qualify. After a year or two he seemed to become a little more conservative in his recruiting. Some say he was looking to get out of town so he wasn't trying, but I believe he was focusing on his needs, and trying to bring in guys that could qualify.

Everyone knows we went 12-2, beat no. 6 Houston, and Fedora nearly tripled his salary by taking the UNC job. Johnson came in and we've been 0-18 since.

Now you have a group pointing the finger at Fedora cause we have no depth, but you have to look at the big picture IMO. When Ellis was hired he brought in his buddy to be OC and a high school coach as QB? coach. Well his buddy ended up being an alcoholic who couldn't fulfill his duties as OC, so now we are stuck with a high school coach as OC, who insists on playing his former high school qb (who lived with him at times), even though we had better qualified qbs on the team. The players began referring to this as "daddy ball".

Ellis also hired a real estate agent as our strength and conditioning coach. This guy had been a strength coach for us decades prior, but was long past his prime. Our team completely quit on the coach and the strength program.

Once Monken and his guys came in it was said we were a full year behind on strength and conditioning. I say we were a year behind on coaching as well. Now some are pointing fingers at Fedora as well as Ellis for not recruiting, but I argue that we would be fine if we didn't practically take a year off from football. We have no depth at O-line, but I think most of the blame lies on Ellis Johnson. Not only did he not recruit but because of the ineptitude of the previous staff our seniors are playing at a junior level, juniors at a sophomore level etc.

Most of the fan base believe Monken is the right coach, but noone knows exactly how long it will take to right the ship. Even though we are 0-6 this year it's been more promising than last year. Last year we had a lot more talent and experience, but the team continued to get worse as the year went along. This year we have a ridiculous amount of true freshmen playing, and many of our best players have been injured. (Nunez-Roches DT, Howze LB, Llanos WR, Thompson WR etc.) It is understandable to struggle this year +a learning curve was expected for Monken since this is his first time as a head coach.

Good info Eagle83.

Here's a question. What was the situation with The General Hammond and the AD position? Seems like there were some who loved him and others not so much. Also any thoughts on our AD Rick Villarreal and his time at Southern Miss? Was he in consideration for your AD opening?

I believe it has been posted elsewhere but C-USA really needs a strong (Top 25) Southern Miss football program back in play as to get all of our conference school's perspectives and the right kind of goal-setting all in place.

Said it last summer, but I don't want North Texas to only have good CUSA football seasons because everyone else in the league are having piss poor football seasons. I do think, though, that our strong performances against 2 contending MAC schools this Fall indicate that we have a pretty darn good football program in progress now no matter how down CUSA is in some quarters.

:bling::PLUS............. I really do believe North Texas now has a HFC with Dan McCarney who will actually set Top 25 as his personal annual goal for his football teams. I believe this season is the first step of that journey. If I didn't feel that way about our coach, then I would not be so much on his bandwagon as any coach we've had at North Texas since my student days during an era when Dan McCarney's ex boss at U of Iowa was making some serious consecutive winning football seasons hay in Denton.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Good info Eagle83.

Here's a question. What was the situation with The General Hammond and the AD position? Seems like there were some who loved him and others not so much. Also any thoughts on our AD Rick Villarreal and his time at Southern Miss? Was he in consideration for your AD opening?

I think most liked Hammond, but he was a little controversial. He came in and started cleaning up the mess from the former AD which caused some people to get their panties in a wad. I liked Hammond, but I also understand the new president wanting to bring in his own guy. So far I have liked the new pres. and the new AD.

I don't know much about Villarreal's time at USM, but his name seems to come up every time there is an opening at AD. Too be honest that is about as far as it seems to get though.