Mac Extension...?

BIG DAWG

Boy, you're in a mood today...

That wasn't exactly the argument. I was countering the fact that you said he hasn't done ANYTHING OR WON YET.

I agree that this thread is premature, but you can't honestly suggest that he hasn't done anything to significantly benefit the program.

Don't know yet. It all comes down to results. We will all know after the next 5 weeks.

If Mac were to lose the rest of this year's games and was fired (never happen, because we don't fire coaches until at least year 4. Gotta save that jingle, don't ya know), the next coach we hired would be whining to Brett Vito about what a sad state of affairs this program was in when he inherited it. Just like Mac before him and Dodge before Mac.

It is the new college coach's play book. Whine about how bad things were when you arrived in order to buy yourself more time to produce a winning season.

So, you see, we never really know if the program is better or worse.

I bet Skip Holtz is whining about the situation he inherited at La. Tech as we speak. I also bet that Sonny Dykes would have a far different opinion of the talent that he left Skip Holtz.

That the way college football go.

I don't necessarily disagree. I would like to wait until after signing day in February, but I know the argument of "that would hurt the recruiting effort" may be somewhat valid.

I would extend for 2 years and no further (obviously dependent on a 7-5 record and bowl game as a minimum criteria). If he is successful again next year, we can talk about another extension.

But all this is way, way, way down the road.

Actually, 2 years is what I was thinking if this year continues to go well. Then if next year is a great follow-up, extend the extension.

Mac was hired to come in here and right a ship that had been floundering aimlessly for almost a decade. He's done it, and he's done it the right way, by bringing in a qualified staff, by tirelessly promoting, and by recruiting athletes with quality academics as well as athletic ability.

I don't know the schedule for offering extensions but it's almost a foregone conclusion that an extension is Mac's for the taking. Right now it is just a matter of when, as a bowl would certainly enhance his negotiating position.

• Upvote 2

Mac was hired to come in here and right a ship that had been floundering aimlessly for almost a decade. He's done it, and he's done it the right way, by bringing in a qualified staff, by tirelessly promoting, and by recruiting athletes with quality academics as well as athletic ability.

I don't know the schedule for offering extensions but it's almost a foregone conclusion that an extension is Mac's for the taking. Right now it is just a matter of when, as a bowl would certainly enhance his negotiating position.

I would agree but the bold is questionable on athletics when most of his starters are from Dodge or walk-on.

Now for even a sniff at an extension he needs to win 8 games and a bowl, but extend only 1-2 yrs. I would like to see what DMac does next year with the replacements for this years Seniors/Starters

• Upvote 2

I would agree but the bold is questionable on athletics when most of his starters are from Dodge or walk-on.

Now for even a sniff at an extension he needs to win 8 games and a bowl, but extend only 1-2 yrs. I would like to see what DMac does next year with the replacements for this years Seniors/Starters

Of corse many of the starters were Dodge recruits, they're 4th and 5th year players and they are very experienced.

Also to Mac's credit then is that he was able to win with players that he inherited. None of this "wait until he gets all his own recruits" crap.

• Upvote 3

II have no problem understanding why our program has been where its been for most of the last 20 plus years reading some of these posts.

Let me count how many alums I know on this board who have seen more than 3 above .500 seasons in a row at North Texas or have seen an NCAA D1 Top 20 (25) ranking and then let me continue to say................I have no problem understanding why our program has been where its been for most of the last 20 plus years reading some of these posts.

You get what you ask for or........at times we've gotten what we didn't ask for.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I would say, 7-5 and a bowl invitation would be a reasonable point at which to begin this discussion. But, if we only went 7-5 regular season from this point, I would be disappointed. Still, It would just be such a significant departure from where we have been that I think the conversation would be valid. The big unknown: The attitude of the next President on coaching salaries.

I would say, 7-5 and a bowl invitation would be a reasonable point at which to begin this discussion. But, if we only went 7-5 regular season from this point, I would be disappointed. Still, It would just be such a significant departure from where we have been that I think the conversation would be valid. The big unknown: The attitude of the next President on coaching salaries.

7-5 is definitely a disappointment.

• Downvote 1

It appears that the program is headed in the right direction in terms of wins & loses. However, the core of this team are Dodge recruits. Can McCarney recruit? Not sure based on his first 2 classes. Has he increased attendance? Has he beaten teams that he wasn't expected to? Have we seen an increase in interest from Area and State Top 100 recruits? Are we a winning program in 2013?

Not sure an extension at this time makes sense. Shanice Stephens & Todd Dodge probably just came off the books. We may need to set aside funds for Tony Benford down the road.

McCarney is our version of Jim Wacker (TCU) who talked a good game and had many believers. He never missed an opportunity to remind people how bad things were before he got there. As previously stated, Mac isn't going anywhere. If he does, the line of quality candidates would start at Apogee, extending through the bridge to Fouts Field.

Coming in 2014:

65-70% of all D1 schools will go bowling. In fact, they may even have to lower the win total to 5 to help more schools qualify. This is worse than the UIL sending 4 district schools to the playoffs; with 2 state champions in each class. Going to a bowl game these day is as rewarding as a 1,000 yard rusher in the NFL (with 16 games)

Another question:

With a bowl berth, does Derek Thompson go into the UNT Hall of Fame? Would he bump someone on the All Century team if it was extended to 101 years? Stats are there and a Bowl game!

• Upvote 2

It appears that the program is headed in the right direction in terms of wins & loses. However, the core of this team are Dodge recruits. Can McCarney recruit? Not sure based on his first 2 classes. Has he increased attendance? Has he beaten teams that he wasn't expected to? Have we seen an increase in interest from Area and State Top 100 recruits? Are we a winning program in 2013?

Not sure an extension at this time makes sense. Shanice Stephens & Todd Dodge probably just came off the books. We may need to set aside funds for Tony Benford down the road.

McCarney is our version of Jim Wacker (TCU) who talked a good game and had many believers. He never missed an opportunity to remind people how bad things were before he got there. As previously stated, Mac isn't going anywhere. If he does, the line of quality candidates would start at Apogee, extending through the bridge to Fouts Field.

Coming in 2014:

65-70% of all D1 schools will go bowling. In fact, they may even have to lower the win total to 5 to help more schools qualify. This is worse than the UIL sending 4 district schools to the playoffs; with 2 state champions in each class. Going to a bowl game these day is as rewarding as a 1,000 yard rusher in the NFL (with 16 games)

Another question:

With a bowl berth, does Derek Thompson go into the UNT Hall of Fame? Would he bump someone on the All Century team if it was extended to 101 years? Stats are there and a Bowl game!

People have been far to hard on Derek and have not trusted him nearly enough.

And that includes the current coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

II have no problem understanding why our program has been where its been for most of the last 20 plus years reading some of these posts.

Let me count how many alums I know on this board who have seen more than 3 above .500 seasons in a row at North Texas or have seen an NCAA D1 Top 20 (25) ranking and then let me continue to say................I have no problem understanding why our program has been where its been for most of the last 20 plus years reading some of these posts.

You get what you ask for or........what you don't ask for.

OH JEEZ. THIS X a million.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree that we need to see what he does after this year's seniors are gone, which is why I was thinking 2 years (1 would work too). IF we finish this year strong AND IF next year rocks anywhere near how this year looks to be, then we look at a longer extension.

I must say, I do like the way it feels to wonder if we'll pull out the win, rather than hoping we don't lose too badly and being surprised a couple of times per year when we actually win. "Oh, I hope our guys win another one!" is much better than "When will we finally get another win?".

I've definitely been lucky in terms of the games I've been to, but it's so frustrating to not be there and wonder if an extra voice would be the tipping point to get that tiny bit more momentum for the wins we all want. Seeing us win from afar definitely takes a bit of stress and guilt away...though I still wish I could be there to tailgate and celebrate with everybody ;)

I brought this up earlier and received some of the same comments. Look, if you can't see the MAJOR improvement out of this program since Mac arrived you are blind. The guy has done a terrific job. My point is, if you put together a package now you probably will end up paying less than if you wait for him to take this team to a bowl etc. If you lock him up now, you are better able to protect some of these assistants who will be lured by bigger programs which mark my words they will be. Secondly you help yourself recruiting wise when you can tell a family that Mac and the staff will be here a long time NOW as opposed to in January or February etc..

I understand that we have been burned by some contracts before and everyone's concern about that happening again. My point is the sooner that you lock him up the more money you potentially save and the better you can protect his assistants as well as the boost it would give recruiting.

The truth is RV does his evaluations at the end of the season in every sport, so likely all of this discussion doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway.

After the Tulane game, many wanted him fired; now we are talking contract extensions. Since the Tulane game, NT has beaten two bad teams. Let the season play out before NT makes any longer commitment.

Frankly, if it were my decision I would wait till after next year to see how he does with primarily his own recruits and doesn't have the luxury of a senior dominated squad.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

After the Tulane game, many wanted him fired; now we are talking contract extensions. Since the Tulane game, NT has beaten two bad teams. Let the season play out before NT makes any longer commitment.

Frankly, if it were my decision I would wake till after next year to see how he does with primarily his own recruits and doesn't have the luxury of a senior dominated squad.

Yes, it's funny how rapidly some people's opinions change. I see it as a wait and see thing for the time being.

Doesn't :rolleyes: belong on the basketball board?

Actually, if it's men's basketball your are referring to, there's no recent history of this yet.

I'm all for affording people the opportunity and time to succeed, but our sample sizes have been more than generous in the couple of cases I can think of. Neither of which have been men's basketball related.

To be honest I've only ever known of one men's basketball coach being here, and an extension in that case may have helped with recruiting and contract risk mitigation, but it did not help in the retention of the coach.

I sincerely doubt that recruits who were being offered in Dodges 3rd year did not have an indication of what was going to happen very soon. I would imagine Players are smart to that type of thing. It's important to be decisive and quick about things for all parties involved as soon as the direction is obvious.

In the case of coach Mac, it's fairly obvious that he will not have to worry about the length of his contract from us if he continues on this trajectory.

Edited by MeanMag

People have been far to hard on Derek and have not trusted him nearly enough.

And that includes the current coaching staff.

Yes, people have jumped on him for every mistake, when in reality, all college (or otherwise) QB's make mistakes. We've got a top 50 QB, and I'm actually almost insulting him by saying that. That being said, I really want to see the other guys get a chance if the scoreboard gives the opportunity.

Frankly, if it were my decision I would wake till after next year to see how he does with primarily his own recruits and doesn't have the luxury of a senior dominated squad.

Other than our usual Neg Neds of whom the sky is falling in their Mean Green World 365 days a year, just who were all the other "many's" who wanted Coach Mac fired after the Tulane game and that after an impressive MAC contender Ball State win? And (besides at North Texas with a handful) when does any 1 game ever determine a coach's future anyway?

Sure, the jury is still out for some with Coach Mac but all the positive indicators and trends are there concerning what he has done and is doing now at our alma mater in his Year 3. IMO, it would all but take a freight train hitting us head on or a team health epidemic for UNT to not make it to 6 wins now with 7 being more likely and even 8 possible with further development of this team.

Think Halloween Night At Apogee Stadium! floating-ghost.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I brought this up earlier and received some of the same comments. Look, if you can't see the MAJOR improvement out of this program since Mac arrived you are blind. The guy has done a terrific job. My point is, if you put together a package now you probably will end up paying less than if you wait for him to take this team to a bowl etc. If you lock him up now, you are better able to protect some of these assistants who will be lured by bigger programs which mark my words they will be. Secondly you help yourself recruiting wise when you can tell a family that Mac and the staff will be here a long time NOW as opposed to in January or February etc..

I understand that we have been burned by some contracts before and everyone's concern about that happening again. My point is the sooner that you lock him up the more money you potentially save and the better you can protect his assistants as well as the boost it would give recruiting.

The truth is RV does his evaluations at the end of the season in every sport, so likely all of this discussion doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway.

So you are saying that UNT will not only be willing to give Mac an extension and raise, but a raise fur his assistants as well? Can we? Will we?

Not the time to do it. Wait for the end of the season 1) to see how we finish out, and 2) the isn't time for the distraction of contract negotiations in season (which is just plain crazy).

No more than 2 years, unless there is a buyout clause our notoriously and historically cheap BOR would be willing to swallow IMMEDIATELY if things don't go as expected.

Edited by UNT90