Announcment Soon - New UNT President

bdan2002

Looks like the board will be making an announcement soon about the new UNT President. It is important to remember that Dr. Rawlins contract ends on December 31. State law requires 21 days before a person can be officially be named President on a permanent basis.

The board has a meeting on Sunday to do the final interview with someone for the job and then it looks like they will make their decision on Monday on the new person!!

Exciting time at UNT. One can only imagine who this person will be. There are a ton of really amazing jobs open currently.

Agency Name: University of North Texas System Date of Meeting: 10/20/2013 Time of Meeting: 3:30:00 PM (Local Time) Committee: Board of Regents Status: Active Street Location: Westin DFW Airport Hotel, Chinaberry Room, 4545 W. John Carpenter Fwy. City Location: Irving Meeting State: TX TRD ID: 2013007034 Submit Date: 10/17/2013 Emergency Meeting?: No Additional Information From: Julia A. Boyce 214-752-5533 Agenda:

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS SYSTEM
BOARD OF REGENTS

Westin DFW Airport Hotel
Chinaberry Room
4545 W. John Carpenter Freeway
Irving, Texas
October 20, 2013 3:30 pm

The University of North Texas System Board Of Regents will meet from approximately 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm on October 20, 2013. No action is anticipated.

I. Call to Order

II. EXECUTIVE SESSION

Personnel Matters Relating to Appointment, Employment, Evaluation, Reassignment, Duties, Discipline, or Dismissal of Officers or Employees Texas Government Code Section 551.074*

Consideration of individual personnel matters related to the UNT presidential search, including interviews with one or more individual candidate(s)

III. Reconvene in open session

IV. Adjournment

* Any issue listed for open or executive session may be discussed during either session, if permitted by law.

Agency Name: University of North Texas System Date of Meeting: 10/21/2013 Time of Meeting: 8:00:00 AM (Local Time) Committee: Board of Regents Status: Active Street Location: Cooper Conference Center, Berkley Room 12200 Preston Road City Location: Dallas Meeting State: TX TRD ID: 2013007048 Submit Date: 10/17/2013 Emergency Meeting?: No Additional Information From: Julia A. Boyce 214-752-5533 Agenda:

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS SYSTEM
Board of Regents
Retreat Agenda

October 21, 2013 8:00 am
Cooper Hotel and Conference Center
Berkley Room
12200 Preston Road
Dallas, TX 75230

The UNT System Board of Regents retreat will include an executive session and informal workshop to discuss the agenda items listed below. The retreat is scheduled to begin at 8:00 am on Monday, October 21, 2013 and topics will be taken up as time permits. It is anticipated that the retreat will adjourn at 3:00 pm. However, it could adjourn earlier or later depending on the length of discussion. It is not anticipated that any formal action will result from the Board s discussions.

Monday, October 21 8:00 am

Call to Order

1. Board Review of Board Goals, Guiding Principles, Communication, Committees, Board Support, Meeting Structure, Calendar 2013-14

2. UNT System Strategic Planning Review

3. UNTHSC Strategic Planning Process

Recess into Executive Session Pursuant to Texas Government Code Chapter 551*

Personnel Matters Relating to Appointment, Employment, Evaluation, Reassignment, Duties, Discipline, or Dismissal of Officers or Employees Section 551.074*

Consideration of individual personnel matters related to the appointment, employment, evaluation, reassignment, duties, discipline and dismissal of the UNT, UNT Dallas and UNTHSC Presidents and Chancellor of the University of North Texas System

Consideration of individual personnel matters related to the UNT Presidential Search
Reconvene in Open Session

Adjourn

* Any issue listed for open or executive session may be discussed during either session, if permitted by law

• Upvote 1

Good info! This is a VERY important hire. Critical for our desire to reach the Tier One Status. I hope and pray they will land a good one. Dr. Rawlins did such a nice job and we can only hope they will find someone of similar quality.

Nope. As long as we don't get an idiot like Bataille going around calling us a commuter school and doing nothing other than talking about Tier One with no actual results, I think we'll be fine. Rawlins did very well for us, and I think he'll make sure the followup is a good choice as well.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 16

Nope. As long as we don't get an idiot like Bataille going around calling us a commuter school and doing nothing other than talking about Tier One, I think we'll be fine. Rawlins did very well for us, and I think he'll make sure the followup is a good choice as well.

UNT is an academic institution first. If the drive to tier one status is not at the forefront of this hire, the hire will be catastrophic to the University.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Nope. As long as we don't get an idiot like Bataille going around calling us a commuter school and doing nothing other than talking about Tier One, I think we'll be fine. Rawlins did very well for us, and I think he'll make sure the followup is a good choice as well.

You know your are in the very, very, small minority on Bataille. And if that woman is an "idiot" then god save the rest of us.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Bataille is the one who gave us Todd Dodge. Hope the new prez doesn't have to cowtow to Jackson and knows the importance of athletics.

No.

RV is responsible for T.D.

He is responsible for every hire, good or bad. If he wanted to hire someone else, and he couldn't convince someone above him to make that hire, that is R.V's responsibility. He needs to be more persuasive.

Don't.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You know your are in the very, very, small minority on Bataille. And if that woman is an "idiot" then god save the rest of us.

She did NOTHING to get us to Tier One other than sit by while our endowment stagnated, research dollars dropped and schools like the University of Houston and Texas Tech passed us by. She talked a big game but did very little about it. This is why she was forced out of UNT by the board of regents. All the good that Pohl did meant little because Bataille just said that we wanted to be Tier One but didn't care enough to make it happen. She was too busy making sure that UNT catered to the second-and-third choice prospective students and keeping our "commuter" status alive. She ruined the football program by pushing Dodge on RV and was difficult about Apogee.

By the time I moved up here in 2006, I had a UNT alum live by me who told me all I needed to know about the rise and fall under Pohl then Gretchen, and about how she was proponent #1 for Dodge and was hesitant on Apogee and didn't actually do much to make us Tier 1 ; when I came to UNT and saw all the good that was happening fall apart my freshman year made me realize that Gretchen Bataille was an idiot. UNT has fallen behind INCREDIBLY in the Tier One race, to the point of being level with UT-freaking-A and behind UT-freaking-D mostly at her hands. We've turned it around, but everyone else has had a two year head start.

We need a president, with first and foremost, guts, like Renu Khator. Before he took over, UH was a joke community college. Now it's become a decently prestigious public university.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Too bad I cannot help you get rid of all the -1's folks gave you for this post. Did what I could.

While I do not think Bataille is an "idiot", I definitely would not want another like her AT ALL. And, yes, Dr. Rawlins has done a great job and will be missed.

In defense of Dr. Bataille (and trust me...defending her in any way is very challenging for me) change agents are often the ones who suffer the most for creating an atmosphere of change. And, if Bataille was nothing else, she was a change agent for UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Too bad I cannot help you get rid of all the -1's folks gave you for this post. Did what I could.

While I do not think Bataille is an "idiot", I definitely would not want another like her AT ALL. And, yes, Dr. Rawlins has done a great job and will be missed.

In defense of Dr. Bataille (and trust me...defending her in any way is very challenging for me) change agents are often the ones who suffer the most for creating an atmosphere of change. And, if Bataille was nothing else, she was a change agent for UNT.

Maybe idiot was extreme but a president that was extremely detrimental to our university.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Thing about Bataille and football is she would crawl over broken glass through the gates of hell before she would let an uneducated football coach be paid more than the president of the university. She didn't directly hire Dodge, but she had a significant hand in putting the limitations in place that disallowed any realistic chance of some other candidates.

As for prospects on this round, I hear UNT is looking for a new president and Nolan Ryan doesn't have anything else to do. :ninja:

• Upvote 1

Thing about Bataille and football is she would crawl over broken glass through the gates of hell before she would let an uneducated football coach be paid more than the president of the university. She didn't directly hire Dodge, but she had a significant hand in putting the limitations in place that disallowed any realistic chance of some other candidates.

As for prospects on this round, I hear UNT is looking for a new president and Nolan Ryan doesn't have anything else to do. :ninja:

Rusty Greer dude. Rusty Greer will make a great President for our University.

• Upvote 2