Kenny Buyers

Cffan

Wow, I'm a fan of the mean green! this guy is the ONLY 1A white corner-and he is good!! I played at Idaho a long time ago, and defiantly enjoy watching athletic white corners(there aren't many, no matter the level).

At first blush I thought your post was a bit racist but it's true. You are about as likely to see a spotted owl as a white corner these days.

Edited by HoustonEagle

I didn't dig it up. But I'm not a fan of a particular team. I just like watching football and if you watch enough games, see enough highlights, research the internet you will know there aren't any other white 1A corners that start. Its not racial either. Most people who have played or coached football realize that white guys just don't get many opportunities at corner and that corner is one of the most difficult positions to play. Any coach will say this. Also, white guys just don't get much respect and are sterotyped to being "slow" or not quick twitch enough to play the position. When I see a corner starting for ANY school, I'm amazed! most of you that watch football realize this. Watch any game. Anyway, I will be following your team more closely now. Hopefully some more games on Espn, or some other networks the rest of the year.

Surprised nobody knows his 40.

• Upvote 2

I didn't dig it up. But I'm not a fan of a particular team. I just like watching football and if you watch enough games, see enough highlights, research the internet you will know there aren't any other white 1A corners that start. Its not racial either. Most people who have played or coached football realize that white guys just don't get many opportunities at corner and that corner is one of the most difficult positions to play. Any coach will say this. Also, white guys just don't get much respect and are sterotyped to being "slow" or not quick twitch enough to play the position. When I see a corner starting for ANY school, I'm amazed! most of you that watch football realize this. Watch any game. Anyway, I will be following your team more closely now. Hopefully some more games on Espn, or some other networks the rest of the year.

Surprised nobody knows his 40.

He's pretty fast -- he really showed up on the scene this season. I believe he originally signed with Air Force or something. IF I were to take a guess I would say 4.5 something but don't know that for sure.

His sped showed up against the bulldawgs today on a couple of plays I saw today. I really like what I'm seeing out of him so I can appreciate your post.

At first blush I thought your post was a bit racist but it's true. You are about as likely to see a spotted owl as a white corner these days.

Not to belabor this issue, but they are fairly rare. Two other highly rated white cornerbacks are Danile Jones of Northwestern and Bennett Jackson of Notre Dame. I would suspect that BYU and Utah may have one or two as well. At any rate, I'm glad to have any player of any race or ethnic origin with talent and am pleased that North Texas was a trail blazer in that issue.

I feel uncomfortable with some of this thread.

We are a pluralistic society and a pluralistic football team last I checked.

GMG!

I think the thing that makes it weird for me is that it reminds me of my creepy parents...any time they watched basketball or football, they would root for any white guy, even on the opposing team. I never really understood it...they "explained" it to me a couple of times. Apparently, white players get overlooked because everyone is used to cheering for minorities, and more white people need to cheer for white players so they won't be overlooked and will get enough playing time to be allowed to be stars. But they're not racist, not at all, they just think that white people need to get more attention in modern society and not let minorities change everything. Umm. Yeah, you can't make this stuff up. I still have no idea how any of that makes any sense (or how I came out of their genetic material).

So as long as the Buyers thing is more of a "curiosity/oddity" thing, I get it and it's cool that somebody noticed a unique demographic. It's nobody else's fault that stuff like this raises a red flag with me, but I do think it's good for us to be able to have an open discussion about it. It may be hard to believe sometimes, but I find all of you to be far more reasonable than the people "responsible" for my early years.