Opening line has Ohio (-8)

meanrob

When people have digested this and looked at the raw scores (or even the actual onesidedness of both contests) of last week, and put the short rest on top, then that line is sure to drop. But it is also certain that UNT remains the underdog. This should be a fun game to watch and UNT might pull it of, but I hope people will not turn their mood to 'suicidal' if UNT should loose this one.

In both cases it was first performances, and in both cases the conditions for the game were very different (being the favorite against a bad team at home or being the underdog against an elite team on the road).

• Upvote 1

When people have digested this and looked at the raw scores (or even the actual onesidedness of both contests) of last week, and put the short rest on top, then that line is sure to drop. But it is also certain that UNT remains the underdog. This should be a fun game to watch and UNT might pull it of, but I hope people will not turn their mood to 'suicidal' if UNT should loose this one.

In both cases it was first performances, and in both cases the conditions for the game were very different (being the favorite against a bad team at home or being the underdog against an elite team on the road).

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Tough to draw comparisons based on the first games. Regardless of the line, I'm thinking this will be a pretty close game if both teams perform as well as they can. I'm also thinking that it is hard to tell which of the 2 MAC games will be tougher. Regardless, I'm cautiously optimistic and believe that we are likely to be very competitive in both games and hopefully win at least one (win both and we'll be looking pretty good. When was the last time we won 2, let alone 3, OOC games?). I know, time will tell, one game at a time...but even if we lose both by a narrow margin, I'll still have a good feeling about conference play.

• Upvote 1

I certainly know nothing about the movement of betting lines but I expect our guys will enter a hostile environment in Athens Satuday.

I think our team gained a LOT of valuable experience in persevering through Idaho's early buzz-saw that may be key in withstanding a similar energy from Ohio.

They're playing on a short week and coming off a game where they were physically over-matched, so there may be opportunity to wear them down late once that home opener adrenaline fades. George & Hank were continually pointing to Chico's goal of getting to 80 plays in a game and this week may be the ideal scenario to benefit, if successful.

As I recall, many on this forum had already penciled in this game as a loss or at best a 50/50 chance. I don't think we knew when we scheduled them that they might be up for a 2013 MAC championship (of which their league's champion last Fall went to the BSC Orange Bowl). A North Texas on the road win would be huge no matter how badly Louisville man-handled Zero U yesterday.

BTW, North Texas all time football series record versus the U of Louisville Cardinals is:

UNT 10 W's................Louisville...........7 Wins

Why our alma mater went into such a deep multi-years slumber while others went forward I will never know (although we have several pretty big clues as why); but it's finally a new day and new era in Mean Green Country and the timing of all this could not have been better. :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

The combination of the history of the lack of back to back wins and McCarney's road record certainly can weigh against becoming too optimistic in this one. They say the most improvement comes from week one to week two and if we base it on what we saw this weekend I would predict this would be a close matchup.

North Texas 31

Ohio 27

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1

Confidence is key in athletics. Let's hope Ohio's confidence is a bit shaken.

Still don't give us much more of a 20% chance of winning this game, but...

a win would be HUGE for this program (and it's collective confidence) and give it the distinct possibility of heading into the Georgia game 3-0.

• Upvote 1

UNT now thinks they're world beaters because they took IDAHO to the woodshed. Tettleton and Blankenship will have no problem ripping the Mean green D, the bobcats are at home, are pissed off and will take it out on UNT. Ohio rolls 44-7.

What is TCU's record again?

Come talk to us when you win a freaking football game.

• Upvote 6

Confidence is key in athletics. Let's hope Ohio's confidence is a bit shaken.

Still don't give us much more of a 20% chance of winning this game, but...

a win would be HUGE for this program (and it's collective confidence) and give it the distinct possibility of heading into the Georgia game 3-0.

Usually I never put too much stock in one game. We could lose this game and still go on to have a very successful season but........

I'm on board with saying this game is huge. In fact it's HUGE. We win this and 3-0 is a distinct possibility. I've been religiously (sometimes even more than religiously) following the Mean Green for twenty years and we've never been 3-0. Never.

I guess I'm smoking the green stuff because I think this game is 50/50.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

Well, UNT made enough mistakes and left at least a couple of TD's on the field, that if they were playing a strong team, we easily could have lost...it was a wonderful game, a lot of fun, DT, Chancellor, et al played great, but the errors UNT made and, at times, the appearance of being totally unprepared would have costs us the game against a tough team. Just like good teams don't turn the ball over, good teams don't make the mistakes UNT made in that game. They played much better than they have in recent times, but they will have to correct these problems to get where we all want them to be..GMG

Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Upvote 3

UNT now thinks they're world beaters because they took IDAHO to the woodshed. Tettleton and Blankenship will have no problem ripping the Mean green D, the bobcats are at home, are pissed off and will take it out on UNT. Ohio rolls 44-7.

Man, if you really gain enjoyment out of coming to UNT's football forum to attempt to troll us I can only imagine how sad and empty your real life is.

Ohio has lost two senior starting offensive lineman and will now have to shuffle players around. I think our defense can go toe-to-toe with their offense now given those losses. I have no idea how our offense will fare against their defense though. For now, I will take Ohio by 3.

• Upvote 1

FroggyStyle, you seriously need to get a life or maybe just a serious relationship. By the way, any weekend in which SMUt and the purple toads get beat is a good one in my book. Just a reminder, your toads have not always prospered. It wasn't too many years ago that the SWC brethren used TCU as the door mat.

GMG

• Upvote 1

Do they teach math at TCU?

0-1

1-0

And let's be honest, TCU still is a doormat.

They prospered in the MWC but they're the doormat of the Big 12.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

We have to travel but they have one less day to prepare... Our game was Saturday ...... theirs was Sunday against a tough opponent.

I think we get a close win.

Frogs... not the doormat yet.... but their recruiting will slowly decline after they are not winning like they were.... I don't see a good future for them.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1