DT

H-towngreen

Like many, I've been critical of Derek Thompson. I am glad to be proven wrong for tonight, and hope to remain in the camp of the Man from Glen Rose. It was hard to judge McNulty based on the brief time he was in there; however, I did like what I saw of Dajon Williams. Every team needs a true leader at QB, and every team needs depth at QB. There's a lot to like in our situation right now.

Great game from DT, great game called by Chico. Truth is, none of those passes we're high difficulty and there is nothing wrong with that. He made the throws and that's all you can ask. That's what needs to happen all year long.

We did keep the passing game pretty basic - but I think DT's best play was the TD pass to Brelan. On that play, we were trying to run a TE waggle across the middle (one of Chico's favorite plays), and to their credit, an Idaho LB jumped the pattern perfectly. DT had the presence to not throw to a covered TE, avoid the rushing DLineman, and find his stud receiver. That's what we should expect from a 5th yr senior, and DT delivered.

Edited by ForneyGreen
  • Upvote 4

One was a complete overthrow.

One hit the WR in the hands and was knocked away by the corner.

One hit the WR in the hands and was just flat out dropped.

Rick

He was pressured on one of those too. Not his fault IMO. In fact, not anyone's fault on our team, just a good defensive play call and execution.
  • Upvote 1

DT looked great. And I am excited about the future with Williams leading the team next year (most likely). McNulty didn't seem too comfortable and we didn't see BB at all. Hopefully DT stays healthy and DW continues to get some playing time throughout in order to be ready to lead the team next season. Excited about the season!

• Upvote 1

I like that this goes all the way back to his tweet months ago about working harder. What a great guy, wins the battle and has a career day. I do think the Berglund "comments" are telling...but hey, Derek is gone after this season so we'll see if BB gets some playing time. Seems like Dajon has #2 locked down for at least this week, and he and Brock have 4 and 3 years to play respectively. I still think they use DT's "leadership" as a way to get the rest ready to play after his departure. Many decent-but-not-great athletes are also very effective teachers because they focus on what they need to do to be competitive with their opponents, and I'm sure some of you would agree that you've probably had teammates that were as effective at coaching as the actual coaches. So if my gut is right, he's going to help groom some very talented guys to be ready to take his place. I can't think of a better situation (coming off of the years we've had, anyway...of course tons of wins and bowl games would be better, I just mean this is the best QB situation we could possibly have right now).

So yes, I'm excited and proud of his performance today, but if my guess is correct, I think he's going to have a big impact on our QB corps for the next few years. And one thing better than achievement is laying the groundwork for a legacy of growing achievements to follow your own. Let's hope this is the case and keep cheering him on for the foundation he's helping to build in this new Mean Green era.

• Upvote 3

I can't say enough about DT's impressive performance and the way it confirms the coaches' decision coming out of camp.

The first TD drive to respond to the incredible surge of momentum Idaho had built showed a leadership and experience that was, I'm sure, included in the camp evaluation. He may not have been named a captain officially, but his game last night was "captain" defined.

• Upvote 3

You have to be kidding me! no QB is going to be PERFECT, but that was damn close. I hated DT and I can't believe what just happened. Furthermore, I can't believe you are calling for perfection.

This is a joke. 23-27. 2 TDs, and 0 INTs. What do you want??

I'm not dissing him! I'm not throwing him down! I'm not unsatisfied!

I'm exuberant, glad we have DT on our side, and overjoyed right now as an alum and fan of UNT.

That doesn't mean I can't expect our guys to get even better! Last night was a beautiful, entertaining game. But you can always do better, and we should strive for that!

BB didn't get to see the field last night but I was very entertained when he and DW decided to play a friendly game of burnout on the sidelines. They were both burnin it in there but it appeared DW won... Either that or BB was the one who wised up to their surroundings and went back to soft toss.

• Upvote 1

DT/#7 ! :thumbsu:

I will say that I am a DT supporter and have been on record of being that on this forum for quite awhile

I figured once he had more receivers (as in more than 1 of quality & experience who got hurt last year) and now this Fall a larger number of quality RB's by committee and seeing that which happened last night could and would happen.

DT/#7 is not chopped liver and proved that even against a #15 Kansas State last year for those who still may be unsure about him. He does have to have the right game plan for all this to work for him and nothing suggests to me that that will be a problem, either.

Yes, it was idaho and this week its a much tougher Fall 2012 bowl team Ohio U which will be tough to win, especially on the road but................

........................this Mean Green team has many newbies who need to develop (and that part of watching all this could be the fun part) and all of that group then be ready for CUSA conference play.

So many of us are just so darn glad to see the momentum of Mean Green football swinging back in the right direction. It's still early, but I'm amazed with how McCarney and Staff have been able to get so many more real NCAA FBS level players inside the Mean Green Village in so short a time in light of the so very few he inherited post-TD era. It's beginning too look to me that some of his recruiting classes have been under-rated since we are all so "star" crazy with these recruiting servcies. What those "stars" don't indicate is a persons desire to improve their talents at a college level and how much heart said multi-star recruits will have once on campus and at the next level.

And after Win #1 ? I feel good.... I knew that I would now.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

DT had a great opening game, really good for him to start with this type of game for his confidence.

349 yds, 23/27 (85% completion) 2 TD's, 0 INT.

He took a lot of heat these last few months, and some here on this board would have never expected it from him.

Best thing to ever happen to DT was the arrival of BB & DW, he demanded he perform well.

Offense ran 79 plays, with multiple sets. 5 wide, Wishbone, I form, pro set. Between the 4 RB's that played, multiple receptions from many WR's.

Defense played extremely well, aside from 2 big plays we held strong. They were flying around poppin people and causing TO's, good pressure on the QB. Great speed off the ends, our LB crew has to be will be one of the top in the conference. I really liked how the defense bent at times but never broke, after the first TD and after the onside kick it could have been very easily to do so.

Need some help at in the kicking game, 2 blocked XP is not good. Also having to go for it on 4th down vs. taking the 3 points can hurt us eventually.

All in all great win, need to win this week on the road. Playing for 3-0 at Apogee in 2 weeks would be really nice.

Go Mean Green!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Congrats to # 7- I fully support you.

We must put DT's performance in perspective...this was a REALLY bad Idaho defense that looked lost. All of the high percentage/quick throws that DT completed will not be there against a good secondary like Ohio. Ohio will definitely gameplan for this type of passing attack and force us to beat them deep in the passing game. Deep balls have never been DT's strength. If there had a been a defensive back within 10-15 feet of Chancellor, that long ball would have been intercepted.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Based on his performance, I would have to assume McNulty dropped on the depth chart. If it is Dajon #2 with BB closely behind then I think we can be in good shape. I would like to see DW and BB get some time this year when appropriate and push each other. If McNulty wants to join in, the more the merrier.

For now, just happy for DT. Keep it up!

• Upvote 1

Congrats to # 7- I fully support you.

We must put DT's performance in perspective...this was a REALLY bad Idaho defense that looked lost. All of the high percentage/quick throws that DT completed will not be there against a good secondary like Ohio. Ohio will definitely gameplan for this type of passing attack and force us to beat them deep in the passing game. Deep balls have never been DT's strength. If there had a been a defensive back within 10-15 feet of Chancellor, that long ball would have been intercepted.

DT did the right thing on the long ball to Chancellor. No one was within 30 yards of Chancellor. DT knew that he could not risk an overthrow in that situation, and he did exactly what he should have done.

Curious as to why you don't mention the perfectly thrown deep ball to Terrell in tight coverage which Terrell was able to catch in stride. A perfectly thrown deep ball for a 50 some odd yard gain.

I guess some people just see what they want to see. ;-)

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5

Based on his performance, I would have to assume McNulty dropped on the depth chart. If it is Dajon #2 with BB closely behind then I think we can be in good shape. I would like to see DW and BB get some time this year when appropriate and push each other. If McNulty wants to join in, the more the merrier.

For now, just happy for DT. Keep it up!

DW is #2, Mini Mac #3, and Burglund #4 and not moving from that spot.

Pray DT doesn't get hurt. DW may be the future, but having a true freshman running the show is never the optimal answer.

We are still frightening thin at QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DW is #2, Mini Mac #3, and Burglund #4 and not moving from that spot.

Pray DT doesn't get hurt. DW may be the future, but having a true freshman running the show is never the optimal answer.

We are still frightening thin at QB.

I don't know what Brock did to get on Mac's bad side. Kid has a LOT of talent. I really don't want DW running the show because he's a freshman but he has game. QB of the future, definitely.

McNulty should never see the field on Gameday.

It should be #1 DT, #2 DW, #3 BB, and #4 AM.

That McNulty thing was just about the most horrible QB play I've ever seen at UNT. I hope DT keeps up his play and stays healthy. He looks thinner, quicker and smarter. As long as he can keep up the accuracy we'll be okay. I've been harsh on DT but he bleeds UNT and was pumped, so if he can win I'm cool with it.

GMG!

Also, Chico's gameplan was brilliant.

Edited by meangreener

I'll be the first to admit, as someone who's not on the DT bandwagon, that he had a great game tonight. Way to go DT!! Very proud of you

I have also been a very vocal critic of DT and want to say I was very impressed w/ his performance.

I really want to see consistency from him week to week...then I wil eat the whole crow

Edited by BIG DAWG

DT did the right thing on the long ball to Chancellor. No one was within 30 yards of Chancellor. DT knew that he could not risk an overthrow in that situation, and he did exactly what he should have done.

Curious as to why you don't mention the perfectly thrown deep ball to Terrell in tight coverage which Terrell was able to catch in stride. A perfectly thrown deep ball for a 50 some odd yard gain.

I guess some people just see what they want to see. ;-)

Thank you!!!!

On the deep ball to Chancellor, DT's job was to sell the run. He tucked and scampered to his left with his head down, which is what the corners and safety is reading. They see run, and bit and bit hard. As DT came up to throw he had people coming at his knees so he threw that ball off his back foot and the damn thing still traveled 40 or so yards.

I thought it was a great play and a great performance overall.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1