Do you go with the young guy with upside?

Harry

I don't see how Thompson would lead us to victories in any games that Williams, or Berglund really, wouldn't be able to.

They bring more upside because they are more talented and can do things that DT cannot, with their arm and legs. We're going to rely heavily on the run, so that will help us break them in. Relieve the pressure on them so we can call plays to their strengths.

• Upvote 1

Even if it means you could lose some games to do it?

I think this is a valid question.

Good question because Mac said Dajon will not redshirt. I translate that to him getting in some games this year. How much playing time to make it worth it?

A 4-8 or 5-7 season from DT, then we may as well had a young qb in there and get ready for mext year. I agree wuth billiesee58. I cant see any other qb that brings so much less than DT, where it would factor in wins or losses.

I think this program is in a position where it has to go with the guy that gives it the best chance to win. You cant look to the future this year there is too much at stake. If we are sitting at 0-6 then ya play a guy for upside. I really think that the decision will come down to DT or Dajon. Brock has just not played enough in the past couple of years to make me believe that he can turn it on so quickly. In all honesty I think most people including myself believed he would have already claimed the starting job. The fact that he hasn't makes me hesitant to believe he can win the job at this point.

Either you can play or you cant, if none of these guys establishes themselves as the leader and QB of this program well then we are looking at a disappointing year. I wonder how many times in his career has Mac started a true freshmen QB.

• Upvote 1

Even if it means you could lose some games to do it?

I think this is a valid question.

This season SHOULD decide Mac 's job status at UNT, so he SHOULD go with the QB that he feels will help him keep his job (translation: win games).

But we are NOT the typical FBS athletic program, so who the hell knows.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DT's fate was sealed wen they wouldn't let him throw a pass after the pic 6 against WKU.

It will be someone different, although I have no idea who.

I know your opinion that DT was restricted with the playcalling, but to me he sealed his own fate by not improving a lick over two season as the undisputed starting qb.
  • Upvote 1

I know your opinion that DT was restricted with the playcalling, but to me he sealed his own fate by not improving a lick over two season as the undisputed starting qb.

The reason doesn't matter. The simple fact is that the coaching staff didn't/doesn't trust DT.

If they're even, i'd go with the Vet. The guy has put in his time with the program and probably deserves a little loyalty. He would be on a really short leash and see his time diminish based on the record and the closer we get to the end of the season.

• Upvote 4

The UNT coaches will be loyal to DT#7 but he will have to produce right out of the hat for that loyalty to last.

Whoever can lead this team and win games has my vote. Been awhile since we had so many QB's in Fall camp who

could actually start. The competition among'st our QB's will push them to the next level of each of their talent levels for sure or they will not get much playing time. I like the numbers because you just never know about the injury bug in college football.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

I think that this isn't the year that a coaching change occurs, unless we only win 2 games or less, so Mac should be able to continue to build toward the future. Whether we agree that is right or completely wrong, isn't really the point because it is what it is. That said, I do believe that another guy should be under center instead of DT. He's your backup to ensure that if you need someone ready in case of injury or ineffectiveness, but you have to prepare for the future. Its very possible that the 2nd half of the season will look a lot better for UNT's future, than the first half, just because of the QB situation.

If We get to 5 wins with someone else as QB at the end of the year, I'll bet 2014 will be a very good season for the Mean Green. If we win 5 or less with DT as our main QB all year long, then I think 2014 will be a crapshoot, which is not exactly how Mac wants to go into his make-or-break year on his contract.

• Upvote 2

I think that this isn't the year that a coaching change occurs, unless we only win 2 games or less, so Mac should be able to continue to build toward the future. Whether we agree that is right or completely wrong, isn't really the point because it is what it is. That said, I do believe that another guy should be under center instead of DT. He's your backup to ensure that if you need someone ready in case of injury or ineffectiveness, but you have to prepare for the future. Its very possible that the 2nd half of the season will look a lot better for UNT's future, than the first half, just because of the QB situation.

If We get to 5 wins with someone else as QB at the end of the year, I'll bet 2014 will be a very good season for the Mean Green. If we win 5 or less with DT as our main QB all year long, then I think 2014 will be a crapshoot, which is not exactly how Mac wants to go into his make-or-break year on his contract.

Not to get way ahead of ourselves, but we lose a lot of seniors next season. This year is kinda do or die. Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not to get way ahead of ourselves, but we lose a lot of seniors next season. This year is kinda do or die.

Yes but with Mac we won't have another year where we only graduate 5 in a season as we did due to Dodge either! he redshirts a lot and he doesn't have NEAR the defections we saw under Dodge or Dickey... better GPA's and less defections = closer to the holy grail of 105 scholarship players and depth... a place we just haven't been here...

Next year hurts with losing Orr and some others but this program is on much better ground than it has been in a long, long time.

Yes but with Mac we won't have another year where we only graduate 5 in a season as we did due to Dodge either! he redshirts a lot and he doesn't have NEAR the defections we saw under Dodge or Dickey... better GPA's and less defections = closer to the holy grail of 105 scholarship players and depth... a place we just haven't been here...

Next year hurts with losing Orr and some others but this program is on much better ground than it has been in a long, long time.

Not saying that the program isn't in better overal shape, but if that is the case, it needs to be proven on the field this year when you have the experience to make it happen.

I wouldn't expect a better record next year than this year, but we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are too many on this team who have put in a TON of work on and off the field not to put the absolute best guy on the field.

The QB who proves the greatest ability to put this team in position to win needs to be under center. These guys deserve that much.

The future will work itself out...time for winning!

• Upvote 2