A Little News on Throwbacks

Green Crazy

Team got a sneak peek at the retro jerseys for opening night (8/31). They're sharp! Twitter followers will have pics tomorrow. #GoMeanGreen

— MeanGreenFootball (@MeanGreenFB)

August 12, 2013

The Sneak Peak of the Throwback Uniforms to the Team Brought the Coaching Staff to its Feet. "Awesome!" #Hit6

— Coach Mike Canales (@coachcanales)

August 12, 2013
  • Upvote 2

They are going to be amazing -- the only issue I see is that retiring them, especially after a packed electric Apogee and win will be hard to do...

I never liked the idea of designing these awesome throwbacks only to wear them once. If everyone loves them why not keep them around and at least wear them for homecoming every year?
  • Upvote 2

I totally agree. Too much of a teaser. Taking something away that the players and fans are excited about doesn't make sense. I thought with Conference USA debut, they would celebrate the growth and not just a tribute to 100 years of FB.

I never liked the idea of designing these awesome throwbacks only to wear them once. If everyone loves them why not keep them around and at least wear them for homecoming every year?

• Upvote 1

I don't mind the one-off if we are trying to establish our current uni as *the* uni.

Problem is that RV said he wasn't a fan of the Diving Eagle as logo anytime soon. I really couldn't care less about the pants/shirts/helmet color. Gimme a non-script logo and I'll be fine. #oldtopic #Iwilljustsitdownnow

Exactly. I don't know why RV is so defiant with this. When nearly your entire fan base is asking for it.

I don't mind the one-off if we are trying to establish our current uni as *the* uni.

Problem is that RV said he wasn't a fan of the Diving Eagle as logo anytime soon. I really couldn't care less about the pants/shirts/helmet color. Gimme a non-script logo and I'll be fine. #oldtopic #Iwilljustsitdownnow

Exactly. I don't know why RV is so defiant with this. When nearly your entire fan base is asking for it.

Because he knows what we don't, it's just a matter of time before people recognize "North Texas" based off of the helmets. It's only been 12 years. Give it another 10 and maybe people as far away as Plano and Keller will know who we are.

• Upvote 3

What makes you think this is entirely RV's call? You might just be surprised to find that things are not always as they seem on the outside. Defiant? Hardly.

What makes you think this is entirely RV's call? You might just be surprised to find that things are not always as they seem on the outside. Defiant? Hardly.

Because I've heard it straight from his mouth. It might not be ENTIRELY his decision, but he's certainly a main reason why we don't have the SOW on our helmets
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure what the team will wear during pre-game warmups, but I hope it's the standard unis/helmets that we dislike so much. However, when the team takes the field for the opening kickoff, they will be wearing the new throwbacks with the Flying Worm helmet and the whole stadium crowd erupts into endless, loud cheering and sheer chaos. Enough to shake the streets of Denia!

• Upvote 2

It's bush league. No other helmet that I can think of in FBS looks as bad as ours. Also, not having an immediately recognizable logo means we don't have a marketable brand. Normal people don't buy shirts that just say "North Texas" on them. Hell, count the number of people wearing "Texas" t-shirts that don't have a longhorn. It's very few.

What exactly is wrong with "North Texas" being on the side of the helmet?

1) Perpetuates the "directional" character of the school name

2) "Real" football programs have logos, because logos speak for themselves. "Real" football programs don't need to spell it out for you.

3) Regardless of whether of not it's completely true, the "North Texas" on the helmet is an RV gig, and there are those, for whom RV is such a loathsome character, that were he to piss 24k gold onto the streets of Denton, bring a national championship to every sport at UNT, and put tens of thousands of dollars of his own personal money into the bank accounts of each and every member of the Mean Green Club, they'd still be calling for his head on a platter and a spork.

I'm not necessarily of fan of the whole "North Texas," thing, but I don't lose sleep over it either. I care a LOT, LOT more about throwing passes to the hands of receivers instead of the arms of the cub scouts in the endzone stands, seeing the ball actually caught and advanced through the redzone and into the endzone.

1) Perpetuates the "directional" character of the school name

2) "Real" football programs have logos, because logos speak for themselves. "Real" football programs don't need to spell it out for you.

3) Regardless of whether of not it's completely true, the "North Texas" on the helmet is an RV gig, and there are those, for whom RV is such a loathsome character, that were he to piss 24k gold onto the streets of Denton, bring a national championship to every sport at UNT, and put tens of thousands of dollars of his own personal money into the bank accounts of each and every member of the Mean Green Club, they'd still be calling for his head on a platter and a spork.

I don't agree with any of those reasons. I want to be called "North Texas." But I don't like "North Texas" on the helmets.

I just think a logo looks better.

• Upvote 1

I much prefer a logo to the spelling, but it honestly doesn't matter that much to me. The schools below may disagree with your comment above.

Illinois

Southern Miss

Tulsa

Ohio

Cal

Ole Miss

If you include those that use their initials, you can throw in the likes of UCLA, UNLV, LSU, etc...