What if Brock is #3...?

BIG DAWG

I know Brocks parents will be eager to read this thread.

Do you guys realize that many affiliated with North Texas football (including player's parents) read Harry's board here? That, my friends, is a fact.

I've cleaned up my Ned act and invite others to join me. You will feel so much better and your blood pressure may not get as high.

In all the years I've posted the subject of our Mean Green players have always been off limits to me unless they were getting praise. We don't want to become a bunch of wuss's here, either, but there are other ways to direct things of a negative nature. Post about your dislike for the present shade of green we're using or our branding, but our football players should be off limits. What if they posted about your job performance before you even started said job?

Just my .02 on this particular subject.....proceed.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Honestly wasn't trying to be negative...you will be hard pressed to find another fan pulling harder for him to win this job than me.

My comment wasn't really even directed at Brock personally, but our luck with signing "top-rated Rivals" transfers. We just haven't had much luck with them being major contributors, the "game changers" we have hoped for.

I completely understand there is much more time in camp, and many other factors...

I was just hypothetically asking the question if people would continue to get as fired up for the "top-rated Rivals" transfers if this didn't pan out...again???

• Upvote 1

Honestly wasn't trying to be negative...you will be hard pressed to find another fan pulling harder for him to win this job than me.

My comment wasn't really even directed at Brock personally, but our luck with signing "top-rated Rivals" transfers. We just haven't had much luck with them being major contributors, the "game changers" we have hoped for.

I completely understand there is much more time in camp, and many other factors...

I was just hypothetically asking the question if people would continue to get as fired up for the "top-rated Rivals" transfers if this didn't pan out...again???

Sorry, Big Dawg, I know you're a super alum and a great Mean Green fan. I just have this weird thing about criticizing the very ones who have us glued to this silly board! LOL!

GMG!

If he remains #3 I think it says more about our coaching staff's "loyalty" to players than about whether Brock is a bust.

I have to disagree. If he remains number 3, then that is where he belongs based upon his performance. The same for number 1 and 2. I have faith that Mac and Chico ewil put the best QB on the field, the one that gives us the best chance to win. They will lose the entire team should they not do so.

• Upvote 2

I have to disagree. If he remains number 3, then that is where he belongs based upon his performance. The same for number 1 and 2. I have faith that Mac and Chico ewil put the best QB on the field, the one that gives us the best chance to win. They will lose the entire team should they not do so.

Amen. It seem's like a coach's "loyalty" to particular players would cost him the loyalty from his players, the fans, and could ultimately cost him his job via losing records. What does a coach have to gain by sacrificing putting the best players on the field in the name of loyalty to specific players?

• Upvote 2

Berglund obviously has great athletic ability but how well that translates to being a D1 quareterback is yet to be seen. Many of us seem to think he was just going to walk in here and start from day one without taking into consideration that he hasn't seen live action since high school. I think we all need to give the young man some time to knock the rust off and get up to speed before considering him a bust. In all honesty, the best QB in the spring game was McNulty except for getting stripped from behind a couple of times. Williams may be the wild card in all of this, but as I mentioned a while back, doesn't some of the blame have to fall to Chico for the lack of development of DT and BB?

• Upvote 1

Scotty Young will be likely starting at a school that had one of the most prolific air raid offenses in years last year. We could've had Young, but Chico and Mac wanted Berglund instead. Personally, Berglund is our savior in my view and will take us where we want to go. If he doesn't...Chico and Mac have explaining to do over why they picked Brock over Young.

I'm tired of hearing excuses about him not being ready. Take a page from Tech. Berglund will make stupid mistakes but his ceiling is far higher than DT or McNulty. So with Berglund, I feel like we'll ALWAYS have a chance no matter who we play.

With Thompson, I don't get that feeling. But our football admin loves DT (Capper tweeted about how his statistics stacked up and called him underrated.)

I'm surprised Mac isn't throwing Brock out there. He has a Seneca Wallace type QB now. Brock looked promising in the Spring Game.

Either way, I think Mac and Chico realize the pressure to perform this year and I'm looking forward to a wide open offense. If we suck, simply, I'll learn not to trust them.

• Upvote 3

Scotty Young will be likely starting at a school that had one of the most prolific air raid offenses in years last year. We could've had Young, but Chico and Mac wanted Berglund instead. Personally, Berglund is our savior in my view and will take us where we want to go. If he doesn't...Chico and Mac have explaining to do over why they picked Brock over Young.

I'm tired of hearing excuses about him not being ready. Take a page from Tech. Berglund will make stupid mistakes but his ceiling is far higher than DT or McNulty. So with Berglund, I feel like we'll ALWAYS have a chance no matter who we play.

With Thompson, I don't get that feeling. But our football admin loves DT (Capper tweeted about how his statistics stacked up and called him underrated.)

I'm surprised Mac isn't throwing Brock out there. He has a Seneca Wallace type QB now. Brock looked promising in the Spring Game.

Either way, I think Mac and Chico realize the pressure to perform this year and I'm looking forward to a wide open offense. If we suck, simply, I'll learn not to trust them.

Yup, we had our chance to get Young in here, but HC passed over. I am not shocked that Brock is #3....he hasn't had any on field competition in what 2-3 years? I believe I have said in the past and I will say again, Mac is not going to start Brock over DT unless DT is injured or just not getting it done at all. Just remember last year - most of you didn't think our starter was getting it done, but we rarely saw #2. And as you mentioned above, EVEN our admin guys are tweeting the stats, which tells me they are trying to prepare the fans with who they are going with.

That being said, I am 100% behind DT!

• Upvote 1

Some other tweets between DT and Capper suggest they're more friendly than others let on.

I could only +1 but I wish it could have been a thousand.

Based on last season, Thompson is the tenth-rated quarterback of the 14 teams this CUSA season. Three of the remaining four are new and have no rating. Those three are Scotty Young, Joe Montana's son, and the quarterback who lost the starting job to Johnny Football. Unless DT is able to perform a miraculous improvement, that translates to the bottom of the CUSA pack.

Strangely, our defense should be among the better defenses in our new conference. But, this is a league of high-octane offenses and if we can't score against weaker defenses, we can't win consistently.

Darrell Royal said that potential means that "you haven't done it yet". He didn't say that it meant that you couldn't do it. Brock Berglund is that potential.

• Upvote 1

UNT fans are in denial. I foreshadowed this happening almost a year ago, you expected a guy who hasn't played in a game in about 2 years, to come in and start at a D1 program. You kept making excuse after excuse for him, but if he was going to start, he would be #1 right now. He has had well over a year to get it together. He came in summer 2012, he had all of fall to learn, he had the entire spring to get things done, but when it was revealed he was #3, he then had an "injury" (which may have been true but doesn't excuse the fact that he had over a year to prove himself) then he had all summer, 7 on 7, and now Fall Camp he is still #3.

He left because he couldn't even start at JUCO then almost went FCS whee he may or may not have started.

In the case of TCU, we recruited Boykin (who was rated a few spots under Berglund that year) we redshirted him and when Pachall got in trouble, he was ready to go and compete. He had the same amount of time as BB to learn what is actually a much more difficult offensive scheme and still got it done.

Manziel learned a totally different offense in only about 6-7 months and won the job in fall camp. No excuses.

Gholston beat out multiple upperclassman and earned his spot. No excuses.

Mariota learned the Oregon offense and started easily. No excuses.

Brewer was rated ahead of Manziel and Berglund by one and two spots respectively. He's the reason Young transferred and when he comes back from his injury, he will be the starter once again.

If BB is supposedly who you guys claim he is, then why are all of these guys of similar skillsets getting it done but he isn't? You can't make excuses forever.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

UNT fans are in denial. I foreshadowed this happening almost a year ago, you expected a guy who hasn't played in a game in about 2 years, to come in and start at a D1 program. You kept making excuse after excuse for him, but if he was going to start, he would be #1 right now. He has had well over a year to get it together. He came in summer 2012, he had all of fall to learn, he had the entire spring to get things done, but when it was revealed he was #3, he then had an "injury" (which may have been true but doesn't excuse the fact that he had over a year to prove himself) then he had all summer, 7 on 7, and now Fall Camp he is still #3.

He left because he couldn't even start at JUCO then almost went FCS whee he may or may not have started.

In the case of TCU, we recruited Boykin (who was rated a few spots under Berglund that year) we redshirted him and when Pachall got in trouble, he was ready to go and compete. He had the same amount of time as BB to learn what is actually a much more difficult offensive scheme and still got it done.

Manziel learned a totally different offense in only about 6-7 months and won the job in fall camp. No excuses.

Brewer was rated ahead of Manziel and Berglund by one and two spots respectively. He's the reason Young transferred and when he comes back from his injury, he will be the starter once again.

If BB is supposedly who you guys claim he is, then why are all of these guys of similar skillsets getting it done but he isn't? You can't make excuses forever.

Why are you here again?
  • Upvote 3

"Injuries"? You're questioning injuries? By that logic, I guess your Tayo, Hasley and Thompson are all just pansies. Who else in TCU football wants to quit? Let's just line 'em up?

See, I can make unfair casual observations too. Doesn't mean they have any worth,

BB will need some time. Something NT doesn't have a whole lot of. Let's hope it clicks for him sooner than later.

Seeing what Mac did with McNulty, I wouldn't be surprised if DW saw significant playing time...

Williams at least has FBS QB size, McNulty doesn't have FBS size or arm strength.

Arm strength still a question mark for Dajon.