2013 North Texas Friday Night Lights Epilogue

Harry

The 2013 North Texas Friday Night Lights camp is in the books and it was a major success. The last summer camp of the year attracted 417 prospects from Texas and surrounding states. As a fan, it was really neat to see so many players wearing jerseys from throughout DFW, around the entire state and even Oklahoma and Arkansas. It just couldn't have been a better day, the weather was perfect and there was a good contingent of parents and fans to support the players.

North Texas Coach Dan McCarney took this concept from his time under Urban Meyer at Florida. It gives North Texas a chance to showcase its beautiful facility Apogee Stadium as well as the outstanding coaching staff that Mac has assembled.

Read more:

Thanks for the description.

Can only be a good thing to hve this many kids come in and at least take a look at them. BTW are there rules and limits as to at what age players can come in, how long you can have this kind of camp with em, how many of them they can attend etc? Really got no clue, but since the NCAA is so heavily regulated is was starting to wonder

• Upvote 1

Out of town,

You will see on teams various web sites what ages are being targeted for certain camps. Usually a school will have camps for younger players, elementary and jr high. Then they will have camps for players in high school...9-12. Then there will be some camps for just 11 and 12 graders. There is not a limit on how many of these camps a prospect can go too. The limits come in how much contact the coaches can have with the high school kids before and after the camps...that is where there limitations.

Edited by trussbussdad
  • Upvote 1

I disagree...Coach Conley explained prior to the camp that Coach Grant was at the Buffalo Bills doing an internship, thus a Coach from Denton Ryan ran the WR group. Recruits have to realize that they have to do something at these camps to set them apart from the other participants. The kids have to be aggressive when getting reps....jump in and be assertive. If you go to these camps and become a "fly on the wall" you will not get the recognition you want.

• Upvote 3

I disagree...Coach Conley explained prior to the camp that Coach Grant was at the Buffalo Bills doing an internship, thus a Coach from Denton Ryan ran the WR group. Recruits have to realize that they have to do something at these camps to set them apart from the other participants. The kids have to be aggressive when getting reps....jump in and be assertive. If you go to these camps and become a "fly on the wall" you will not get the recognition you want.

I give up on trying to embed the tweet that you responded to. It's just a UTSA fan talking smack. I've seen nothing but positive reviews from just about every kid who attended the camp via twitter

• Upvote 1

I give up on trying to embed the tweet that you responded to. It's just a UTSA fan talking smack. I've seen nothing but positive reviews from just about every kid who attended the camp via twitter

Because one person out of over 400 thought another camp was better, this camp was poorly run. Maybe Crochet should take a course in stat and learn about the concept of significant differences.

1 person out of 400 is not reason for change, but I do wonder where our WR coach was and how that was perceived by other campers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Coach Conley said that Coach Grant was with the Buffalo Bills. I know several college coaches go to NFL teams to learn, just as high school coaches go to colleges to learn more. In fact, several colleges that offer camps have other coaches from high schools and even other colleges attend their camps to help. For instance, my middle son was at the Ok State camp where there were coaches from Mary Hardin Baylor and Stephen F Austin. So having coaches miss a camp and have a substitute is not out of the norm.

Well, if Conroy Hines, reported by Vito to be "assisting", was the substitute WR coach, it's not like he's some nobody from nowhere:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/high-schools/high-school-football-headlines/20110812-football-hines-to-coach-raider-offense.ece

And if he's willing to come over to UNT to help out after not being retained by Coach Mac, I think that says something good about both men.

• Upvote 1