Interesting Derek Thompson UNT Factoid courtesy Eric Capper

Harry

First off, that's just sad. To have DT finish top 5 in all categories, he's thrown for 4531 yards, 26 TD, 21 INT and 9 wins. Another reason why no one knows of North Texas

Wait. Are INTs one of the major passing categories he's referring to? Are incompletions in there too? We might be on to something.

I couldn't help it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

First off, that's just sad. To have DT finish top 5 in all categories, he's thrown for 4531 yards, 26 TD, 21 INT and 9 wins. Another reason why no one knows of North Texas

Proves that you must have a good QB to win, but just because you have a good QB doesn't mean you will win.Thompson is,in my opinion, a good QB,not an exceptional one, who has a lot of heart.

• Upvote 2

Wait. Are INTs one of the major passing categories he's referring to? Are incompletions in there too? We might be on to something.

I couldn't help it.

Thompson is not in the top 5 for interceptions. The top 5 are:

1. Steve Ramsey (1967-69) 67 INTS

2. Mitch Maher (1991-94) 50 INTS

3. Vidal Carlin (1965-66) 47 INTS

4. Jason Mills (1995-97) 37 INTS

5. Giovanni Vizza (2007-08) 36 INTS

Thompson (2010- current) 21 INTS

I'm sure there are QBs between him and the top five.

Proves that you must have a good QB to win, but just because you have a good QB doesn't mean you will win.Thompson is,in my opinion, a good QB,not an exceptional one, who has a lot of heart.

He just isn't consistent or accurate enough for me to call him a good qb, personally. Hope he proves me wrong this year.

He was a combined 35-80 at home this year against Texas Southern, Troy, and South Alabama. That's a little under 44% completion percentage. Those type of performances against subpar defenses come far too often.

He's been good enough for us to win 7 out of 11 home games at Apogee. We need to win 4, possibly 5 of our home games this year if we hope to qualify for a bowl. We can't afford performances like the ones DT had at home last year if we hope to win a majority of our home games this year.

Thompson is not in the top 5 for interceptions. The top 5 are:

1. Steve Ramsey (1967-69) 67 INTS

2. Mitch Maher (1991-94) 50 INTS

3. Vidal Carlin (1965-66) 47 INTS

4. Jason Mills (1995-97) 37 INTS

5. Giovanni Vizza (2007-08) 36 INTS

Thompson (2010- current) 21 INTS

I'm sure there are QBs between him and the top five.

67 picks in just 3 years ?

Having heart doesn't make you a good QB. The stats are more indicative of how futile the QB position has been played at NT. Hopefully, BB and DW can raise that bar...

• Upvote 2

67 picks in just 3 years ?

You're referring to Steve Ramsey, I assume. Assuming the 67 is correct, a few things to consider: (1) 69 TD passes, (2) 22-6-1 won-loss-tie record, and (3) with our defense, a long INT usually meant a net gain in field position.

• Upvote 1

You're referring to Steve Ramsey, I assume. Assuming the 67 is correct, a few things to consider: (1) 69 TD passes, (2) 22-6-1 won-loss-tie record, and (3) with our defense, a long INT usually meant a net gain in field position.

More anecdotal proof of why interceptions are ok as long as the qb makes plays.

Like you mentioned, long interceptions are not that much worse than a turnover on downs and a subsequent punt.

In his three years Ramsey set NINE NCAA passing records. Was good enough to play several years in the pros with New Orleans and Denver.

In Ramsey's day the TD-INT ratio was lower across the board. That isn't surprising. Heisman Trophy-winning Steve Spurrier won the Heisman with a 36-31 TD-INT ratio in his career (1966 he had 16-8). Gary Beban won in 1967 with a 8-7 ratio.

That's back when DB's actually could touch the WR's

...with our defense, a long INT usually meant a net gain in field position.

I like that sound of that. Just throw it somewhere downfield, if we don't catch it they'll intercept it, and then we'll just smash them so hard they fumble and we recover the ball and gain a bunch of yards. Nice.