I just hope that Chancellor will quit putting his shoulder down and find the sideline more often. He plays bigger than he is...we cannot afford him to be injured this season.

There have been a couple of times where he's bounced off some tackles for several extra yards. Hard to ask him to stop doing that... it's a big part of why he's so good. The guy plays balls-to-the-wall on every play. He could get injured every single time he touches the ball.

• Upvote 2

Harry, Vito, really doesn't matter.

The fact is everyone knows coach Mac is ultra-conservative, especially on 1st down.

If the pattern continues, so will the record.

You know what Head Coach is actively involved with play calling during a game, who is up in the mix, feeding players plays etc.? June Jones.

You know what Head Coach isn't? Mac.

He may set the course the ship is going to take but Mac does not sail it. His assistants do.

• Upvote 1

I guess it is all those years of watching Dickey Ball. I don't walk away from games thinking we were overly conservative.

It's not the whole game, it is just usually when we are close or ahead and the he shifts into conservative mode and they don't...bang, boom. pow...we are now behind...and when we are behind and the clock is running and time is of the essence, they are taking forever to get to the line and run the plays...they need to up the tempo of this offense at times to put the defense off balance..like many very successful teams do..just a lack of urgency when needed last year.....and at least Dicky won.

That game was a perfect blueprint for play calling in my opinion. Most, almost all, of DT's completions came on hitches and slants that game. Then when we got close to the goal line we gave the ball to Jimmerson and used misdirection to get Chancellor the ball in the open space. Those plays worked and we should do more of that this year.

We also put Chancellor in the wildcat and that was pretty effective as well. I wouldn't mind seeing that this year again, but the coaches might be scared to do that after his injury last year.

Agree, and when we have a play that works extremely well...forget about seeing it again in the game...this needs to be corrected as well.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see what DT could do when given a chance to throw the ball when not every single person in the stadium, including those under 5 years old, know a pass is coming.

Last year, we ran when teams expected us to run and threw the ball when teams expected us to throw (usually 3rd and long). It's hard for ANY QB to have success with the run/pass ratios we had last year.

Hoping things change, but I'm also hoping that Tigers lose their stripes. Odds are about even.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know what Head Coach is actively involved with play calling during a game, who is up in the mix, feeding players plays etc.? June Jones.

You know what Head Coach isn't? Mac.

He may set the course the ship is going to take but Mac does not sail it. His assistants do.

So you are saying the same Chico that led a diverse offense the last part of 2010 was responsible for that turd of predictability last year? Not buying it, At all,

Particularly not buying it in the WKU game, when DT wasn't allowed to throw the ball again in the game after the pick 6. That is a pissed off defensive coach's move, and it cost us that ballgame.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd like to see what DT could do when given a chance to throw the ball when not every single person in the stadium, including those under 5 years old, know a pass is coming.

Last year, we ran when teams expected us to run and threw the ball when teams expected us to throw (usually 3rd and long). It's hard for ANY QB to have success with the run/pass ratios we had last year.

Hoping things change, but I'm also hoping that Tigers lose their stripes. Odds are about even.

This is an argument of your's that has some merit, but I disagree. I believe if Mac had confidence in DT then we would see him throwing more on first and second down. He ran the ball just as much with Seneca Wallace and Iowa State so that gives your argument a little more credibility. Problem is Wallace threw 18 ints his senior year, so it's understandable why Coach Mac didn't conduct an air-raid offense with Wallace either.

Whether everyone in the stands is predicting a pass or no one is, DT had all day to throw last year whether it was third or first down, yet he made innacurate throws. No one saw a pass coming on that trick play against Troy but that didn't stop DT from missing a wide open Drew Miller.

That WKU game was very telling. It made me believe that Coach Mac really doesn't trust DT and I think Mac will give Berglund or Mcnulty a shot this year. I really think Coach Mac is saying DT is the guy for now and saying Berglund is third could just be him egging Berglund on to make up ground in the competition. Just call me a conspiracy theorist!

I do agree with you that we need less predictability even if DT is under center, but I don't agree that Mac and Chico will run just as much even with an adequate qb.

• Upvote 2

So you are saying the same Chico that led a diverse offense the last part of 2010 was responsible for that turd of predictability last year? Not buying it, At all,

Particularly not buying it in the WKU game, when DT wasn't allowed to throw the ball again in the game after the pick 6. That is a pissed off defensive coach's move, and it cost us that ballgame.

In 2010,Chico had an offense that was geared toward being wide-open from Dodge. That's all they were developed to do for the entirety of Dodge's tenure. He had Lance Dunbar. He had Riley Dodge as the QB, who only knew how to run that offense. And he had receivers that could make plays.

Last year, Chico ran an offense that had no receivers worth a hill of beans, a QB that was very subpar, in my opinion, and an Oline and group of running backs that were the strength of the team. I don't blame them for not trying to throw the ball in games with DT. He threw a ball almost into the stands against Troy with the game on the line. He threw an absolute killer of an interception at WKU that led to a loss. He was beyond bad against South Alabama. You can blame that all on Coach Mac, but I'm willing to give him a pass since it was just the 2nd year of this rebuild. Now that we are in Year 3 of Coach Mac, that excuse is gone for me, but I was willing to give him some rope last season. If DT doesn't throw that INT at WKU, we finish 5-7 and everyone feels better about not taking a step back from Year 1 to Year 2. By the way, that step back didn't surprise me at all--I knew that our last season in the SBC was going to be tough, just because we weren't going to get many calls to go our way in conference games. Plus, I'm still absolutely shocked we won 5 games in his first year with the leftovers he inherited from Dodge--basically Dunbar and a few other decent pieces, but absolutely no size whatsoever on either line. I realistically expected us to win about 2-3 games that first year.

I highly doubt that DT will be the QB for the full season anyways--he had no choice last year, where he will this upcoming season. Both of them will have receivers that should be better than last year's squad, so that should help open things up. I don't think DT has what it takes to be a QB that can make you a winner, so the sooner he can pass the reins to Berglund, the better off I will feel about the future. If BB is a bust and cannot beat out DT, then this thing is just gonna suck for the next few years and we will end up with a new coach in 2015.

• Upvote 1

In 2010,Chico had an offense that was geared toward being wide-open from Dodge. That's all they were developed to do for the entirety of Dodge's tenure. He had Lance Dunbar. He had Riley Dodge as the QB, who only knew how to run that offense. And he had receivers that could make plays.

Last year, Chico ran an offense that had no receivers worth a hill of beans, a QB that was very subpar, in my opinion, and an Oline and group of running backs that were the strength of the team. I don't blame them for not trying to throw the ball in games with DT. He threw a ball almost into the stands against Troy with the game on the line. He threw an absolute killer of an interception at WKU that led to a loss. He was beyond bad against South Alabama. You can blame that all on Coach Mac, but I'm willing to give him a pass since it was just the 2nd year of this rebuild. Now that we are in Year 3 of Coach Mac, that excuse is gone for me, but I was willing to give him some rope last season. If DT doesn't throw that INT at WKU, we finish 5-7 and everyone feels better about not taking a step back from Year 1 to Year 2. By the way, that step back didn't surprise me at all--I knew that our last season in the SBC was going to be tough, just because we weren't going to get many calls to go our way in conference games. Plus, I'm still absolutely shocked we won 5 games in his first year with the leftovers he inherited from Dodge--basically Dunbar and a few other decent pieces, but absolutely no size whatsoever on either line. I realistically expected us to win about 2-3 games that first year.

I highly doubt that DT will be the QB for the full season anyways--he had no choice last year, where he will this upcoming season. Both of them will have receivers that should be better than last year's squad, so that should help open things up. I don't think DT has what it takes to be a QB that can make you a winner, so the sooner he can pass the reins to Berglund, the better off I will feel about the future. If BB is a bust and cannot beat out DT, then this thing is just gonna suck for the next few years and we will end up with a new coach in 2015.

The interception did not cause the WKU loss. We still led by 7 after that TD..

The loss was caused by a coaching staff that refused to throw another forward pass the rest of that game.

This is why I don't think DT will be the QB this year. The staff basically told him at the end of that game that they had zero confidence in his aboility as a QB. Fair or not.

The interception did not cause the WKU loss. We still led by 7 after that TD..

The loss was caused by a coaching staff that refused to throw another forward pass the rest of that game.

This is why I don't think DT will be the QB this year. The staff basically told him at the end of that game that they had zero confidence in his aboility as a QB. Fair or not.

2 seasons as a starter is a fair chance to win the coaches trust.
  • Upvote 1

I could be wrong, but with DT I see us playing “not to lose” in the fact that there does not seem to be the confidence that something good could happen on any play. It seems that we worried that if a mistake is made we cannot recover. On the other hand I was hoping with BB that we had someone that would allow us to take some chances to “play to win” knowing that if we make a mistake we can recover

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Our coaching staff is openly claiming that we will be seeing designed runs by the QB added back and emphasized in this season's offense. One of the things that has been mentioned in other threads, but not yet this one, is that that is something that we have done a lot of since Dodge showed up in town and even carried over into Mac's first year. But last year we almost completely de-emphasized it. Why was that? Were the coaches afraid that if DT went down we had no real backup? Now that we've got decent depth in McNulty and Berglund they are claiming that we will add it back. DT was recruited by Dodge to run his option read offense. Granted he's not the most mobile QB to ever run that offense, but he excels at the types of throws required of it. Last year we really got away from that as we ran a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets. Just wondering aloud here, but is it possible that DT will be more comfortable with the offense returning to something that he's more confident in? Much of this post is based on actually believing the coaches claims to run the QBs more...which, past experience shows that not everything a staff might like to do actually makes onto the field on Saturdays...

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

I think the K-State game shows he's capable. I still wonder what would have happened in that game had we not given up that kickoff return after we scored... that was one of the biggest letdowns I can ever recall.

I think the K-State game shows he's capable. I still wonder what would have happened in that game had we not given up that kickoff return after we scored... that was one of the biggest letdowns I can ever recall.

The partially blocked field goal in the early 2nd half was also a killer. Yet DT proved that he can be very effective with the right game plan and receivers who run out their routes. Brelan Chancellor is no Ivan Delgado.

• Upvote 1