What Power5 Big Time School Would U Bring To Apogee ?

Lets say one of our heavy hitters told UNT AD Rick Villarreal something like this:

"Rick, here is $1 million dollars (or whatever it takes) of a specially designated gift from me and my business for you to bring in the biggest high profile school in University of North Texas athletic history; and I'd prefer such a school that rarely comes to the Lone Star State....

.......that is, a school that would take the bait and love the recruiting exposure of the 7 million populated North Texas Metroplex. And (preferably) I want you to find a school other than UT, OU or anyone from the Big 12 for that matter.

Your school choice & why? Might take some online research for this, but maybe even a school that has never ever played a game at either SMU or TCU, too?

My choice: Ohio State...this high profile game at Apogee would have media from all over the Deep South, Southwest and Big 10 coming to Denton, Texas, America.

Recruiting Ammo' For UNT Coaches, Too?

"Oh by the way, we have future OOC home games at Apogee Stadium with........ "Insert Big Time U School's Name", SMU, Army, (hopefully Navy again) :) etc, etc, etc, ....

......and, (insert Texas HS blue-chipper's name), most all our C-USA West Division schools you and you parents I'm sure already know about and most times your folks can even come see you play wearing the Mean Green at their stadiums since they would be well within driving distance." :):)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Colorado or Arizona. Reasonably beatable (for a ""BCS" team) and close enough that we might get a couple hundred to a thousand of their fans in attendance.

If we're looking for just a winnable "BCS" game give me Kansas (think of the Brock Berglund story lines ad nauseum) or perhaps Duke or Kentucky.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

LSU. I know some on here don't like us recruiting in Louisiana, but that is some fertile recruiting ground. LSU is the top school in that state, and while LSU plucks the top ones there are plenty of good players who just miss out on getting offered by LSU. Selling to those kids that you could play LSU, or that you're the team who hung with or beat LSU that would make getting those kids even easier.

In Texas you have UT, OU, A&M, Tech, and unfortunately TCU, SMU, and Houston to contend with. Those are the in-state schools who are currently ahead of us on the totem pole. Louisiana doesn't have as many good players but they have plenty of good players who don't get offered by LSU. I like our chances trying to beat out La Tech and Tulane for a recruit than A&M and Texas Tech.

For games that we wouldn't be overwhelmed in and would potentially have a shot I'd say Vanderbilt, UCLA, Mizzouri, Baylor, and Emmitt said some good schools too.

No, I would not want Ohio State. There are plenty of beatable teams in the "Power 5" conferences, and Ohio State is not one of them.

As far as which team I would want, I don't know...maybe Tech? I don't know if we could beat Tech, but I think that would be a somewhat more competitive game than Ohio State. And I would certainly expect Apogee to be past packed for that game.

• Upvote 2

Scheduling 2 for 1 deals lead to future home schedules with too few games in the future.

Meh, we haven't had a problem scheduling non-Power 5 teams for home and aways to fill out the rest of our schedule. Don't see why it would be any different for you guys since you have DFW to sell to them. If it comes down to it just use some of the money from the sellouts to bring an FCS team to beat up on.

Meh, we haven't had a problem scheduling non-Power 5 teams for home and aways to fill out the rest of our schedule. Don't see why it would be any different for you guys since you have DFW to sell to them. If it comes down to it just use some of the money from the sellouts to bring an FCS team to beat up on.

NO. MORE. FCS. PERIOD.

• Downvote 2

No, I would not want Ohio State. There are plenty of beatable teams in the "Power 5" conferences, and Ohio State is not one of them.

As far as which team I would want, I don't know...maybe Tech? I don't know if we could beat Tech, but I think that would be a somewhat more competitive game than Ohio State. And I would certainly expect Apogee to be past packed for that game

Agreed. Would like nothing more than 'The Little School on the Prairie' to come to Denton. Have always hated those Tortilla Tossers...

I don't care about them but if you are going to spend $1MM then Notre Dame is probably the way to go - from a press, casual fan across America, alumni "oh my" factor.

I would never pay TT a mil to come play us but if we did get them here one way or another you can bet a sellout.

Wouldn't mind seeing Kentucky, Ole Miss, Kansas, Purdue, Iowa and maybe BYU - as names with cache coming in but beatable depending on the year.

But if you are going to spend $1MM on a team to come that isn't a BIG NAME i.e. ND - then pick one of the three or four with the most alums in the DFW area - say Kansas for example - that are beatable - and book them.

• Upvote 1

These are some of the more notable schools we've hosted whether at Fouts, the Cotton Bowl Stadium or nearby Texas Stadium (before it became 'the late, great Texas Stadium), so really the whole idea of bringing in a so called Big Boy would by no means be a novelty for North Texas:

Oregon State (a win for us at Fouts), Texas A & M (before approx. 50,000 at TX Stadium), Kansas State, SMU, TCU, Rice, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State, New Mexico, Indiana, Boise State (as a then conference foe), Army, Navy, Florida State, Brigham Young U, San Diego State (when ranked #19 the day we beat them at Fouts Field) and who have I missed?

I believe most all of us think we need to bring in a biggie when we can and I hope our leaders are thinking the same. I believe Coach Mac is building a team that will be competitive now, but isn't the best time to schedule a so called Big Boy to one's home stadium is when most of them think we are easily beat'able? So maybe UNT needs to shake and bake with this idea before we become un-defeatable at Apogee Stadium? And won't that be a good problem to have once again in Mean Green Country no matter who we play? :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I'd be all for Colorado. I know the 1st black man ever to suit up for the Buffalos. He's a former Cowboy & lives in McKinney.

He's not one for the spotlight , but I might be able to get him to come to Apogee. I've always thought if UNT could get that game we could somehow honor him.

• Upvote 1

I would like to get Texas schools like Texas Tech, Baylor maybe even Texas A$M... It would give us a chance to showcase our facilities to other Texas schools. I think we got a lot of positive press from when Houston came here. It would also likely be a sell out.

I don't care about them but if you are going to spend $1MM then Notre Dame is probably the way to go - from a press, casual fan across America, alumni "oh my" factor.

This.

And they'd probably bring a lot of fans - better make room in the Fouts lot for more RVs (recreational vehicles).

• Upvote 1

We don't fill out the rest of our schedule with McNeese State. And you've yet to deal with a conference schedule to restrict your options. Oh, and right now you are the GUARANTEED win in a market these teams don't play in already. Baylor has games at Jerry World already. Ok-State just wants to pack as many of THEIR fans as possible into the Alamodome to put on a display for San Antonio recruits while they see if your scoreboard can count to 150.

If the goal of this thread is to name the teams that would be the bestest dream ever to play at home, then my list is Alabama, LSU, Texas, OU, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida, Texas A&M, BYU, Nebraska, UCLA, and Georgia.

If the goal is to think of teams that might be reasonably added to the home schedule, bearing in mind that the Ohio States of the world would rather attempt to schedule TT, BU, or TCU at Jerry World than sign a 1-1 with us to get into a DFW game, then the Indiana game model is the way to go. Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota. Maybe a North Carolina or Syracuse. Would it be worth offering a reduced-rate money game in Men's BB to UNC, Syracuse or Kentucky to get a football 1-1? Maybe not, since their RPI would get Benford'd. But 2nd tier Big 10/ACC would be what I'd go for.

• Upvote 2

I would love to play TT here when we have a good competitive team. We are tied with them in all time wins and losses and go a long way back with each other. This game could have the potential of becoming at least a minor rivalry if we continue to improve through the years. Between our fans and theirs, filling Apogee would be no problem.

• Upvote 1

I'd be all for Colorado. I know the 1st black man ever to suit up for the Buffalos. He's a former Cowboy & lives in McKinney.

He's not one for the spotlight , but I might be able to get him to come to Apogee. I've always thought if UNT could get that game we could somehow honor him.

Not a bad idea...but tell me why you think UNT should honor a Colorado player? Think Colorado might honor Abner Haynes if we played at their house? Could be a cool idea if we got a one and one from the 'buffs. Would love to have your friend with us at Apogee...maybe for any game...not just a possible Colorado game.