caravan stuff from tonight...i was drinking so it's not complete

THOR

four football games on tv...rice, ball state, and two others not mentioned

top 100 usa player on campus last week in basketball that loved the campus

colin voss from central michigan basketball player is a new pickup...6-8 280....benford mentioned that mac would like him

zed evans, louisville guy, has two years...north texas applied for a waiver/medical year or something and it was approved

damn fast kids in football camp this year

first time since mac has been here that we are on 85 ships

golf going to washington as the 7 seed...top five make it to the next round

beer was flowing...for me at least...

candy was good...food was good...atmosphere was cool as shiat...band was nice and damn loud...

probably more...but i was drinking and eating...

i'm going to the plano one as well...this thing is pretty cool and makes me feel special...like i'm part of something...make a caravan stop if you can...and buy me a beer!

edit: mentioned the halloween rice game that they were going to do a trunk or treat kinda type thing that churches do and costumes and stuff...

and a player from the blakely era from chicago was on campus last week that was in tears about all of the upgrades and accomplishments that north texas has had since his time here and was up for doing whatever he can to help the school, according to benford

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

and a player from the blakely era from chicago was on campus last week that was in tears about all of the upgrades and accomplishments that north texas has had since his time here and was up for doing whatever he can to help the school, according to benford

As I heard that tonight, I was reminded that UNT (NTSU) never bothered to promote athletics to alumni back in those days. I joined the alumni association upon graduation, so they knew where to reach me. It just didn't happen. That was back in the 70's. Interesting, but sad, that players in the 70's were also ignored after they left.

• Upvote 2

While the crowd size was disappointing to me, the event itself did not disappoint. As Thor said...it was fun! Saw a good number of Mean Green supporters and got to chat with Coach Mac, Coach Petersen, Coach Benford, Coach Evans and RV. Lots of good info including status of UNT baseball stadium project, FB and BB recruits, and on and on. Lots of energy in the room with the band, cheer squad, UNT dancers and fans. Certainly enjoyed the event. If you missed this one, try to catch one of the next three. You should have a good time...I would think the vast majority of those attending this evening did.

Coaches speaking tonight were, Coach Mac, Coach Benford and Coach Petersen.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

While the crowd size was disappointing to me, the event itself did not disappoint. As Thor said...it was fun! Saw a good number of Mean Green supporters and got to chat with Coach Mac, Coach Petersen, Coach Benford, Coach Evans and RV. Lots of good info including status of UNT baseball stadium project, FB and BB recruits, and on and on. Lots of energy in the room with the band, cheer squad, UNT dancers and fans. Certainly enjoyed the event. If you missed this one, try to catch one of the next three. You should have a good time...I would think the vast majority of those attending this evening did.

Coaches speaking tonight were, Coach Mac, Coach Benford and Coach Petersen.

So what was the update on baseball? You can't leave us hanging like that.

• Upvote 1

"edit: mentioned the halloween rice game that they were going to do a trunk or treat kinda type thing that churches do and costumes and stuff..."

The rest of yor post is just window dressing to me. THIS is the part I care about. The athletic department 1)recognized a potential attendance issue and 2)took steps to try to alleviate the pain. Kudos for initiative!!! Had I been there I would have stood and applauded. I may go to the Plano one to do just that.

• Upvote 3

6'8" 280 and can run the court? If true, may be that our center situation has been remedied a bit. Nice report and great to hear about Evans. Guess we can't bitch about waivers too much for awhile.

Did someone double check that one. Because I bet the NCAA thought it was Louisville asking for the waiver.

If we can't actually bitch about something we can always be sarcastic and/or cynical about it........ B)

• Upvote 1

So what was the update on baseball? You can't leave us hanging like that.

RV mentioned that the baseball program will be coming "soon". It sounded (to me at least) like it's a done deal. Just have to get the final pieces in place to begin, but the impression was one of "very soon".

A couple of other notes--1st year with Mac: 5 offensive linemen in rotation. 2nd year: 7. Think about that. This year should be 8-9. Need to get to 11-12, but depth, speed and size are something he's really excited about. I also noted that he (and again--this is my impression) was cautious about proclaiming BB the savior at QB. In fact, I thought his comments were very measured with regard to that subject, and my impression was that unless BB shows something in the fall, he will be #3 on the chart with a lot of space between him and the top two.

Also, there was little if any mention of the status of the DT position. He was extremely high on WR, LB, OL, secondary, and he expects huge improvement in special teams.

I was also very very impressed with Petersen. He's going to be a great hire. From his comments, he looks to be great in recruiting and what he wants on the court. Really enjoyed hearing him speak.

• Upvote 2

I hope to see a bunch of you tonight:

Stop 2- DALLAS (click to register)
Royal Oaks Country Club
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
7915 Greenville Avenue
6-8 p.m. Dallas, TX 75231
214-691-6091

A couple notes from me from last night:

• The top 100 basketball player that toured the campus was from Plano, if I remember correctly.
  • Regarding baseball, RV mentioned that the Lovelace family was actively involved in the committee (I think leading it) and had made significant contributions toward baseball at UNT. It was brought up in the context of things that are coming up soon for UNT athletics. No dates were given or anything like that.
  • Upvote 2

Snack type food and cash bar

Not so at the Plano event. Jordan Case ALWAYS does it up right...open bar and way better than "snack foods". The sponsor "Park Place Lexus" foots the bill for this one...we should all thank Jordan case for his generosity and support. Would be nice if a few other businesses stepped up to sponsor these events in Dallas, Ft. Worth and in Denton. Adding the sponsorship to the funds the Athletic dept. puts into these events would really be an added plus. Many thanks to Jordan case and Park Place Lexus and all the Sewell family of dealerships for their support of the Mean Green!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Is there a reason why these are held on weekdays? Seems like a simple attendance fix to hold these on a Saturday evening. What am I missing?

Remember that the idea is to give the "big three coaches" each an opportunity to address the crowd at each event. Trying to wrangle all of their schedules together for four stops at any point of the year has to be a real challenge. Doing four separate Saturday dates is probably not realistic given the time frame they are working with. Just a guess.

• Upvote 1

Remember that the idea is to give the "big three coaches" each an opportunity to address the crowd at each event. Trying to wrangle all of their schedules together for four stops at any point of the year has to be a real challenge. Doing four separate Saturday dates is probably not realistic given the time frame they are working with. Just a guess.

Not sure I buy that reasoning. If coaches want a "big crowd" then show up on a saturday someplace big like well - like in Apogee's club area to a packed house. If you are inviting cheerleaders, band, etc. aren't you expecting large crowds? You don't get that on a weeknight. I can tell you that is a big reason why I won't be able to attend one of these. Fine, you want to have four stops. Have them over 4 weekends. How is that challenging?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Not sure I buy that reasoning. If coaches want a "big crowd" then show up on a saturday someplace big like well - like in Apogee's club area to a packed house. If you are inviting cheerleaders, band, etc. aren't you expecting large crowds? You don't get that on a weeknight. I can tell you that is a big reason why I won't be able to attend one of these. Fine, you want to have four stops. Have them over 4 weekends. How is that challenging?

It's debatable whether the crowd would be any larger on the evening of a weekend versus the evening of a weekday.

If people really want to go, they'll find a way to make it work.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

There would always be some who like the weekend dates and some who don't. Don't see the weekend drawing any larger crowds...especially since they would be drawn out over a month or more. Last one of these I attended for "that other school of mine" was also held on a weekday evening. Did not seem to bother that crowd of over 1000.....wonder what the difference is since that university has far far fewer alums in the DFW area than does UNT and the school is some three and a half hours plus away from DFW?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It's debatable whether the crowd would be any larger on the evening of a weekend versus the evening of a weekday.

If people really want to go, they'll find a way to make it work.

I agree.....Last year at this time on a week night at Apogee there was nearly twice the crowd present compared to last night.

• Upvote 1