Spring game thread

NT03

I watched it on the interwebs. It was pretty damn boring.

I was excited to see SirCalvin Wallace show up. We're going to need him

you never want to read too much into these scrimmages...however...

It has been during my own fandom that the worst spring games preceded my favorite, most successful seasons.

I hope I did not just jinx us.

Edited by greenminer

I watched it on the interwebs. It was pretty damn boring.

I was excited to see SirCalvin Wallace show up. We're going to need him

Yea, not too exciting. The best line I heard was from Andrew Powers who happened to be behind me as I was leaving. He told someone on the phone that the game was over and "...if I had a gun I would of shot myself.". Also, he cut all his hair off.

As far as attendance, I would guess 2500-3000.

I enjoyed the game. A Spring Game is what it is, so I don't read too much into it. I sat by Kenny Buyers father. He likes the team compared to last year. I thought McNulty looked the best at QB by far. DT looked the same to me. I am a fan of his but his footwork is still an issue and he is inconsistent. He made some great throws, looked off DB's and then would throw one in the ground. McNulty was elusive and threw a nice looking ball. I saw one bad throw that missed a wide open WR, but outside of that he looked pretty darn good. Not much running in the game so not much to report there. Chancellor, Harris, Smith and Terrell looked good at WR.

Excited about next season.

I think Bergland is the best option at QB with the #1 offense. He played on that awful White team but I just felt something special with him in the game. A couple of nice runs didn't happen because they were calling the QB's down when someone touched their jersey.

Very dissapointed in Pegram. No explosion, power or moves today. Solid core of receivers in Chancellor, Harris, Terrell & D. Smith. Liked what I saw from Jarrian Roberts (#30). He should have stayed at LB.

• Upvote 2

Never put much stock in a spring game.

This one didn't have many highlights. McNulty was the best QB today. The second team offensive line was very bad.

Looks to me that a lot of positions are going to be decided in the fall, including QB.

Yeah. I always felt that you cannot really judge a team playing against itself. We really won't know anything until August 31.

Thanks, not a very good turnout. Believe Texas State had nearly 5,000 at their Spring game.

Hide...Watch & See, folks.. TSU-SM has something we don't have at North Texas right now....some call it "athletic program momentum" and their interviewing & hiring

North Texas alum Danny Kaspar added to that mometum.

Meanwhile over at the Mean Green Villlage............the beat goes on.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

I agree with Cooley. BB has the best arm and best wheels. Once he gets the offense down he starts. McNulty is the 2nd best option. DT looks basically the same.

Guys that made an impression.

James Jones at corner. Nice pick and the safety plus just plays fast.

Darnell Smith made some nice plays on less than accurate throws.

Jarrian Roberts looked good, hopefully he fills out.

Jamal Marshall reminded me of Jonas Buckles

Alex Orr made some nice plays and had a sack.

Terrell had a really nice diving grab and if BB had put enough air under it would have scored on a long touchdown.

Hide...Watch & See, folks.. TSU-SM has something we don't have at North Texas right now....some call it "athletic program momentum" and their interviewing & hiring

North Texas alum Danny Kaspar added to that mometum.

Meanwhile over at the Mean Green Villlage............the beat goes on.

This thread is about the Spring Game. Take this to the appropriate thread, wherever that is located.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Typical DT game. 17-29 for 154 1 TD 1 int

Yup. Just doesn't command respect, both from our coaches calling the plays and the opposing defensive coordinators.

Mcnulty did look good, but our qb will be asked to handle the ball and his awareness and ball protection were subpar to say the least.

Much better awareness from Berglund, although he held onto the ball too long a play or two. Receivers just weren't open, but he has to learn to throw the ball to scrappy in the stands rather than get blindsided.

Berglund has the strongest arm, tightest spiral (which does matter), most quick/compact release and most athletic. Mcnulty was probably the most consistent this spring but doesn't have the natural talent of BB. And DT has the most experience. Expect to see DT and BB first half against Idaho.

Also, skip Caldwell just seems to get open. Those guys do damage when they're on the field

• Upvote 1

Yup. Just doesn't command respect, both from our coaches calling the plays and the opposing defensive coordinators.

Mcnulty did look good, but our qb will be asked to handle the ball and his awareness and ball protection were subpar to say the least.

Much better awareness from Berglund, although he held onto the ball too long a play or two. Receivers just weren't open, but he has to learn to throw the ball to scrappy in the stands rather than get blindsided.

Berglund has the strongest arm, tightest spiral (which does matter), most quick/compact release and most athletic. Mcnulty was probably the most consistent this spring but doesn't have the natural talent of BB. And DT has the most experience. Expect to see DT and BB first half against Idaho.

Also, skip Caldwell just seems to get open. Those guys do damage when they're on the field

I thought dt and bb had similar arm strength, if bb's was stronger then it wasn't by much. Where I thought he was better was in his release and decision making. They were much quicker than dt's or mcnulty's, in my opinion. He isn't playing at the level I think he will be come the end of fall. I liked his escape ability and the pump fake on his over throw was better than ve seen in a while too. I can see the ability that got him ranked 15 dual threat qb. He just needs more time.

I think the bottom line for me was that BB had that "looks like he could go out and win you a game" factor. DT, though he looked a bit better, stll quite frankly scares me. Everything from his mechanics (throwing motion) to the roulette wheel feeling I get when he throws more than 15 yards.

I did like what I saw from lil' Mac.

I have no worries about the OL. I think they'll be fine.

RB's were a mixed bag but they didn't all have the luxury of the first string OL.

I really like Carlos Harris. I hope he can be that guy to draw some attention away from Chancellor.

Still worried about the DL.

• Upvote 3

I think the bottom line for me was that BB had that "looks like he could go out and win you a game" factor. DT, though he looked a bit better, stll quite frankly scares me. Everything from his mechanics (throwing motion) to the roulette wheel feeling I get when he throws more than 15 yards.

I did like what I saw from lil' Mac.

I have no worries about the OL. I think they'll be fine.

RB's were a mixed bag but they didn't all have the luxury of the first string OL.

I really like Carlos Harris. I hope he can be that guy to draw some attention away from Chancellor.

Still worried about the DL.

Bingo.