Sunbelt to add Appalachian St , Georgia Southern

NT03

If everybody moves up we're looking at the beginning of the new 1AA. We're running out of time to start winning. And winning big.

The thing is, everybody's showing an increased commitment to athletics. We and these others are just jumping on the caboose railing as the train is leaving the station. If we would have shown that commitment 10+ years earlier, we'd be driving the train.

• Upvote 4

I like both of those solid adds. The Sun Belt could easily continue to outperform CUSA with a strong Arkie State, App State, Troy and GA Southern. I like where we are now but geez it is beginning to feel like a sandwich of slightly better above and slightly better below the CUSA group.

Time to perform CUSA!

GMG

• Upvote 1

If everybody moves up we're looking at the beginning of the new 1AA. We're running out of time to start winning. And winning big.

The world is very, very different from 1981. Back then few dared challenge the NCAA. And Cincy (I think it was Ciny) did start a challenge to 1AA but got moved back to 1A before the case went forward. Today, the NCAA has lost in court a LOT. They have to come up with a really compelling reason for excluding some but allowing others. In every other sport, as long as your school is willing to pay for the programs and scholarships you can be at whatever level you want.

Appalachain State and Georgia Southern will surpass UNT within the next few years, assuming they haven't already. (Considering that APP State beat Top 5 Michigan in the Big House and has won three straight FCS titles in recent years and GSU being a traditional powerhouse who scoed more points on 2011 Alabama than any other team in the country). That's also not mentioning how both programs despite being FCS, have outdrawn UNT as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Appalachain State and Georgia Southern will surpass UNT within the next few years, assuming they haven't already. (Considering that APP State beat Top 5 Michigan in the Big House and has won three straight FCS titles in recent years and GSU being a traditional powerhouse who scoed more points on 2011 Alabama than any other team in the country). That's also not mentioning how both programs despite being FCS, have outdrawn UNT as well.

Of course you fail to mention the inherent advantage both share in being able to allow for immediate DI transfers as well as academic requirements being less than FBS. Or the fact that they have had winning programs which have aided in their attendance.

Of course you fail to mention the inherent advantage both share in being able to allow for immediate DI transfers as well as academic requirements being less than FBS. Or the fact that they have had winning programs which have aided in their attendance.

Go count the number of FBS transfers on their rosters.

You also fail to mention that we performed pretty well and drew well as a member of the Southland Conference. Division 1 and 1AA are very different.

Georgia Southern didn't outdraw us in attendance this year.

Secondly, they must not teach you to spell or how to properly form a sentence at TCU.

Edited by meangreener

Both are solid additions. The timing is good for both the schools and the conference. The universities will be solidly entrenched by the time FCS will have an extremely difficult, if not impossible, opportunity to move up since it is unlikely any more Division 1A conferences will be created. It's also good for the conference because their addition, along with the return of Idaho and New Mexico State (for football) will give the Belt a championship game.

Appalachian's attendance will compete favorably with Louisiana and Arkansas State for the top spot in the SBC. Georgia Southern and Troy should vie for the fourth best attendance. Those five and WKU should give the Sun Belt a solid core from which to build.

By the way, GSU hasn't topped us in average attendance since 2008; although there hasn't been a noticable difference for years.

• Upvote 1

If I want your opinion I will dial your f***in' a**hole.

• Upvote 2

A frog is still a frog; warts & all !

My previous reply was leaning more humorous because I didn't want to be the first one to say what Froggy said...luckily trolls can break the ice where sometimes we don't want to. I really hope we take some steps soon, but schools like these are part of why I've been quietly happy that we haven't been scheduling random FCS teams very much lately. Fighting some rough years and scheduling tough teams for OOC games is one thing, but if they had beaten us (had we played them) - or if they pass us by - I will be a bit disappointed.