CUSA as "Sunbelt 2.0"

BIG DAWG

Here is my take on all the whining about "Sunbelt 2.0"

I don't care that FAU, FIU, MTSU, & WKU are coming because the teams in our division, even in losing Tulsa, are the teams that bring people to the games, and they are games I can go see on the road.

I don't care that UTSA is a startup, they are better than playing Monroe, Ark St, Troy, the Cajuns, or any other Belt team to the avg Joe, home and definitely away. Me personally, I enjoyed playing some of those schools, but the most enjoyment I get is when we have 28K and more in the stands...our division, Rice, UTEP, UTSA, LaTech, and now probably SoMiss will bring those people the other teams never could...even in our good days.

Stop the whining about the conference and star looking forward to the opportunities this conference, and our division, will provide

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I like the Dawgs words. So much - wish we were over there talk. Has been for over 10 years now!

We have a conference name with some street cred

We have multiple programs in driving distance

We have sweet markets to visit

There is definitely some upside to look toward and enjoy. Some choose to look at the dark side of everything.

Ready to rumble in Ruston!

GMG

• Upvote 2

From what I have read it is all but a done deal

Perhaps, but from what I read Boise was certain to join the Big East and the Big East was certain to have a $100 million tv deal. The America whatever conference must get to 12 to keep the TV deal they have now. And if the right two schools bail then they have to start over. Tulsa wants to be with SMU and Tulane but do they want it enough to risk the new conference? While some fans do, do they have enough pull to force the risk. I gather Tulsa thinks basketball first which mean the new conference is an even bigger risk.

• Upvote 1

I agree. The makeup of any conference outside the power 6 makes very little difference for national prestige. To make waves, it requires a gawdy record or a big-time upset (see the MTSU hoops love pre-tourney & last fall's national exposure for ULM).

Where the conference makeup DOES matter is in fan support locally, so losing a regional rival is where the Tulsa loss hurts most but with Rice, La Tech, UTEP and the others who have alumni in the metroplex, we're still in a much better place.

Perhaps, but from what I read Boise was certain to join the Big East and the Big East was certain to have a $100 million tv deal. The America whatever conference must get to 12 to keep the TV deal they have now. And if the right two schools bail then they have to start over. Tulsa wants to be with SMU and Tulane but do they want it enough to risk the new conference? While some fans do, do they have enough pull to force the risk. I gather Tulsa thinks basketball first which mean the new conference is an even bigger risk.

And this is why I wish the CUSA would have shown a little more patience, especially before inviting ODU and NCC. Let the teams have a chance to come back. Dumbing down the conference doesn't make it an attractive return. Some would say UNT's inclusion dumbed down the conference, but I would argue that we were finalist when they added UTEP, made the necessary improvements to facilities, and were next up for inclusion.

The desperation grab at teams just to re-stock and get to 12 or 14 or wherever they are now just made no sense (just as the inclusion of UTSA made no sense).

Now teams like Houston, Smu, Tulane, and Tulsa want as far away from the stench of the Belt and the start ups as possible, even if it costs them a couple of bucks (I know, UNT just could never waste that kind of money). Can you blame them?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Anybody that thinks that CUSA is not better for NT than the Belt is a fool

Anybody that thinks that CUSA is the conference that NT thought they were getting into is also delusional

Most of CUSA's luster for NT is gone with the departures and the additions of 3 or more Belt teams plus 3 start ups

But being left in the Belt, would be a disaster

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5

I dont see how anyone could not see this coming.

That being said, this is light years better for us than the Sun Belt.

At this point I would really like CUSA to split east and west. Let us grab UL, Ark St, Tx St, NMSU, and call it a day. I respect the CUSA east, I just don't care about them.

I dont see how anyone could not see this coming.

That being said, this is light years better for us than the Sun Belt.

At this point I would really like CUSA to split east and west. Let us grab UL, Ark St, Tx St, NMSU, and call it a day. I respect the CUSA east, I just don't care about them.

No.

They aren't, and I wish they weren't in CUSA, but that doesn't mean we should invite 5 more just like FAU.

Gotcha. My reasoning for additions is that there are not better options available and you must have a healthy number (10) to guard against defections. I'd be fine with 7 if it were a stable situation.

• Upvote 1

I must agree with Big Dawg. Lets TRY to look at our cup as half full just once instead of always being half empty. Regarding Tulsa, they just hired a new A.D., and are searching for a new President. Until both of those pieces are in place I don't see them jumping ship. Besides, its my understanding that if invited they would join in 15' with Navy,assuming that the Midshipmen still want to make a move.

• Upvote 1

I must agree with Big Dawg. Lets TRY to look at our cup as half full just once instead of always being half empty. Regarding Tulsa, they just hired a new A.D., and are searching for a new President. Until both of those pieces are in place I don't see them jumping ship. Besides, its my understanding that if invited they would join in 15' with Navy,assuming that the Midshipmen still want to make a move.

How about we just look at the cup as it is?

Saying that we will be drawing 28k with the likes of Rice, UTSA or Tulsa is delusional. A 4-4 UNT team against a 4-4 Rice team doesn't draw 28k. Probably not even 20k. And considering we haven't been 4-4 in 10 years that scenario is being optimistic.

I'm not pissing and moaning about CUSA (although I do think Banowsky royally screwed up) but quit trying to sell me on close road trips and name recognition. Those are the selling points of a program not getting it done. In the end if we go 4-8 in CUSA, it won't be much different than 4-8 in the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Saying that we will be drawing 28k with the likes of Rice, UTSA or Tulsa is delusional. A 4-4 UNT team against a 4-4 Rice team doesn't draw 28k. Probably not even 20k. And considering we haven't been 4-4 in 10 years that scenario is being optimistic.

I'm not pissing and moaning about CUSA (although I do think Banowsky royally screwed up) but quit trying to sell me on close road trips and name recognition. Those are the selling points of a program not getting it done. In the end if we go 4-8 in CUSA, it won't be much different than 4-8 in the Sun Belt.

Well, winning conference championships and going to bowls and finally getting a new stadium and a name coach was supposed to get it done too......but that hasn't happened either. So, what do you (or any others out there) think it will take to "get it done"?

There are only two schools in CUSA that weren't already there or joined with you.

FAU isn't a world beater but they are a market and travel addition. FIU hanging out by themself was not good for FIU's long-term future nor good for the budget of the eastern teams.

Of the eight recent additions, Tech is the only one with a clearly better resume than MTSU, but MTSU also adds market and a well run program.

Seeing the Sun Belt 2.0 moans I think some are forgetting some key points.

1. The Sun Belt the past fews years was actually pretty good (record vs CUSA certainly supports that).

2. Geography was a weak point with the western side lacking solid football rivalries due to distance.

3. The drag on the Belt created by adding two schools that didn't fit. Remember ULM was supposed to be football only until something else worked out and it was only the gun of NCAA rule changes that made them a full member. Troy had on-field success but most Sun Belt presidents would never cal them a peer institution. Their attendance figures while dominating the league suggest that they have peaked in support.

As an aside, I've visited the Missouri State board to see if there is any reality to them going FBS, what strikes me is their fans don't want to go to FBS because they consider all viable FBS options to be too large of a step downward in basketball. An understandable position until you consider that Missouri State hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 1999. That argument is like an Indiana fan citing the chance to go the Rose Bowl as the reason to be Big 10.

If the value in a conference is to stroke an ego then it is a foolhardy position to take. Value has to be measurable in things like revenue and expenses. The difference in revenue between CUSA and Sun Belt is over-stated, but the value in bus trips against regional opponents is clear.

I suspect the long-term trend for CUSA is either more raids by the former Big East as realignment continues or growing larger to set the stage for a CUSA that spawns regional leagues, unless the former Big East falls apart and regional leagues emerge out of it.

I'm just apathetic to it all. I'm happy with the new conference opponents and will keep enjoying it all. I honestly don't believe that we will ever sit at the big boys table and im fine with that. Conference affiliation doesn't make everything better...drinking and goofing off at games is what I enjoy!!!

• Upvote 2

I remember a really strong turnout out at Fouts in 2010 against Rice....even though the temperature had to be around 100. ESPN shows 23,700 listed in attendance that game. Just saying... we go 4-4 and Rice comes in I would say we could put 28k in the stadium.

I'm just apathetic to it all. I'm happy with the new conference opponents and will keep enjoying it all. I honestly don't believe that we will ever sit at the big boys table and im fine with that. Conference affiliation doesn't make everything better...drinking and goofing off at home during the games is what I enjoy!!!

*fixed

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I remember a really strong turnout out at Fouts in 2010 against Rice....even though the temperature had to be around 100. ESPN shows 23,700 listed in attendance that game. Just saying... we go 4-4 and Rice comes in I would say we could put 28k in the stadium.

We play Rice on a Thursday night this year.. Lucky to get 20k there. Rice was a good OOC draw (game early in the year). They will be a good conference draw only if both are winning

• Upvote 1