Postseason success would forgive disappointing season

Harry

Let me put it like this: my expectations at the beginning of the season were to win the regular season and challenge for a 11 or 12 seed, with a first round game going down to the buzzer.

Now if NT wins the belt tourney they will be a play-in 16 and when they get to the (real) first round there will be no chance whatsoever

Shit season was disappointing however it goes from here

Let me put it like this: my expectations at the beginning of the season were to win the regular season and challenge for a 11 or 12 seed, with a first round game going down to the buzzer.

Now if NT wins the belt tourney they will be a play-in 16 and when they get to the (real) first round there will be no chance whatsoever

Shit season was disappointing however it goes from here

Bingo... A tournament appearance is great but we've been there, if you're nt getting better you're failing

Agreed. BUT it would make it harder to fire Benford. I can't imagine UNT firing a coach that takes the team to the tourney. I just can't see it.

Maybe the best outcome is to lose out and try to raise the money for a new coach.

Not going to fire him either way...some folks just need to reconcile themselves to this fact. Talking about firing Coach Benford after this season is just plain silliness. I realize that some folks would be happy if this happened...your opinion and you are welcome to it, but at some point you have to just reconcile yourself to the real facts...Benford will return as UNT's HC for men's basketball next season. Book it Danno!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not going to fire him either way...some folks just need to reconcile themselves to this fact. Talking about firing Coach Benford after this season is just plain silliness. I realize that some folks would be happy if this happened...your opinion and you are welcome to it, but at some point you have to just reconcile yourself to the real facts...Benford will return as UNT's HC for men's basketball next season. Book it Danno!

Here's how this carousel will go (because we have VERY recent history to use as a predictor)

1)Benford will be back for a few more years.

2)We will suck

3)Recruiting will fall off the map

4)We'll finally get rid of him when it's "cost effective"

5)We'll bring in a new coach.

6)He'll struggle

7)We'll excuse the new coach's struggles with "look at the mess Benford left! We can't expect a quick turnaround....three years at the least"

I call it the "Dodge Effect". Only, after it runs another cycle...in basketball this time...we'll call it the "North Texas Effect"

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Here's how this carousel will go (because we have VERY recent history to use as a predictor)

2)We will suck

6)He'll struggle

7)We'll excuse the new coach's struggles with "look at the mess Benford left! We can't expect a quick turnaround....three years at the least"

I call it the "Dodge Effect". Only, after it runs another cycle...in basketball this time...we'll call it the "North Texas RV Effect"

fify

2)We will suck

6)He'll struggle

I call it the "Dodge Effect". Only, after it runs another cycle...in basketball this time...we'll call it the "North Texas Effect"

You forgot attendance will suck, season ticket sales sink to lows not seen in a decade and we will be lucky to have 1,000 people at home games, students included.

So you're okay with mediocrity and failure being acceptable at NT?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So you're okay with mediocrity and failure being acceptable at NT?

Never said that...said Benford will return next season. Please do not try to put words in my mouth. Speak for yourself...not me, and please do not try to twist what I post to fit your agenda or opinion. Thanks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2)We will suck

6)He'll struggle

This is so dead-on. The "North Texas Effect" only applies to sports, though. When the Green Brigade has a bad halftime performance, though, that band director better have his bags packed...we care A LOT about music!! Suck on that and your misguided funding for athletics, all you other Texas FBS schools #UNT BOR and typical NT Daily writer

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Bendord will be back, but if we have another year like this year, and still keep him..... Man, it's gonna be hard to stay a fan. We get Tj Taylor next year, which gives us a sic 1-3. Doubt tony comes back, but if he does our 1-4 will be top 25 talent at least. If bendord can't win with that after a year of adjustment, then he will never win. Gotta cut ties.

Win the Belt , win the play in game & all will be well

I know it's not the same , but a play in game would still be a NCAA post season win. Something that has never happened here

Odd of that happening ? I'd say 7.9 %

I think you are an over the top optimist, sir.

• Downvote 1