Is it time to retire the term "MUTS"?

Harry

Speaking of NTSU, everyone I hear these days under the age of thirty refers to us as UNT. The name comes naturally and almost "trippingly on the tongue". As an old North Texas guy I am always a bit surprised (and pleased) to see how well our name has been accepted by young people, including high school kids. We are UNT and the old crowd from my day needs to get used to it.

Incidentally, does anyone know if we plan to put a "100" on the sides of our helmets in 2014 when we enter our century mark of intercollegiate football? UNT with a "100" below it would make neat helmet year after next. It would also be fun to remind SMU that we were were playing football before they were founded.

Speaking of NTSU, everyone I hear these days under the age of thirty refers to us as UNT. The name comes naturally and almost "trippingly on the tongue". As an old North Texas guy I am always a bit surprised (and pleased) to see how well our name has been accepted by young people, including high school kids. We are UNT and the old crowd from my day needs to get used to it.

Incidentally, does anyone know if we plan to put a "100" on the sides of our helmets in 2014 when we enter our century mark of intercollegiate football? UNT with a "100" below it would make neat helmet year after next. It would also be fun to remind SMU that we were were playing football before they were founded.

I like the fact that people of any age refer to us, period. It seemed to be a given when I enrolled that our then-26,000-student enrollment was still, "WHO-N-T?". I don't get at all offended when people mention NTSU, or Normal College, or North Texas State Teachers' College, or any of our other names, because it offers up the point that our growth has contributed to our transitions over the years, and that we, collectively, of any age, have been a part of that growth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not often a crowd-follower, but I do accept the capacity of unity to achieve results where solitary individuals often can not. And our "corridor of years" has shown our ability to overachieve in many areas where for others, a maintenance of a respectable status quo seemed to be good enough.

As to how this relates to the MUTS question...there's a difference between what I mentioned about history and silly names we call our rivals. I agree that announcers and such should get our name right, but if we call them MUTS and they call us NUTs or grUNTs or whatever, that's different. I would hope that sportscasters get both of our names right any time we get coverage, but as it relates to fandom, it's all good.

Harry, you have sunk to an all-time low by even coming up with this assinine topic. Shame on you.

MUTS!!!!

They will always be MUTS to me!! B)

Anyway, it's almost a term of endearment for the one semi-rivalry that we were able to establish during our swim through the Sun Belt - kind of like the Aggies refer to Texas as "tu" - it's a hug and a slap in the face all at the same time.

• Upvote 1

If you want respect... you have to show some respect.

We go by a two word name... so what is wrong with Middle Tennessee.

One big exception... smut... they show no respect for us ... so get none... (see first statement) .

defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Georgia Tech. Does a nice job there from what I understand.

Does he still wear team colored jammies on the sideline? Those were truly sexy. How did the Hicks 4 Heisman campaign turn out.