They are right around the 7 or 8 spot in the most optimistic projections, but the short season might play in their favor. Minnesota, Detroit, Chicago and St Louis will tell us a lot - but since this team has generally peaked around January the last 3 years, they might be able to get in and steal a round or two.

Doesn't matter how well he plays, we know what he's going to give us.

The Stars need some other younger players to step up. All the offense is coming from the Jagr, Roy, and Erikson line.

They've only played 2 games, and one was against the favorite to win the Cup, and that was a good game. Give them some time. I don't think this team is ready to make a lot of noise in the postseason, but they should at least make it this year...

Doesn't matter how well he plays, we know what he's going to give us.

The Stars need some other younger players to step up. All the offense is coming from the Jagr, Roy, and Erikson line.

They have some promising young players, the question is do they have the right NHL coach to bring their talent to NHL level.

Oh, and Jagrmeister.

They have some promising young players, the question is do they have the right NHL coach to bring their talent to NHL level.

Oh, and Jagrmeister.

Did he have previous head coaching experience? Was he a winner? Did he buy a house in Dallas or is he just renting? Are his players good husbands and fathers?

Question. No info.

• Upvote 1

Glen Gulutzan (Stars coach) did a great job down in Cedar Park, and coached a great game against (Stars ex-coach & Phoenix coach) Dave Tippett. He looked lost at times during the first year, and couldn't hold the Stars together down the stretch, but as there is no stretch this year, he may have a breakout coaching year.

As good as Jagr was in his first game, he disappeared up at St. Paul - getting this group of grumpy old men playing with the Finns and some good but green talent will be Gulutzan's biggest challenge this year.

The Stars look to be a good wild card challenger - which is the way they've been the last few seasons. The biggest change of late is their development program, which is incredibly deep.. If they can hold onto their young talent - Benn, Sceviour, Larson, Dillon and keep developing homegrown talent like Austin Smith - they've got a really solid future.

• 2 months later...

So, thoughts on Gulutzan now?

I think he gets canned after the season. It's just obvious that they may be playing hard for him but whatever he is trying to teach isn't working because the trends are still constant. I personally don't get all the hate for GM Joe. Yes he's missed on some deals but he's also made the organization better from top to bottom in my opinion and infused some young talent in here.

No, they haven't. They got draft picks which he will screw up, and none of the 3 prospects are anywhere near NHL ready. Eff Joe. He's got to go.

Gully needs to go too. But I am losing faith in the new owner, he doesn't seem to understand the dispair of the fans.

At this point, I'm even afraid they will screw up the new uniforms.

I think he gets canned after the season. It's just obvious that they may be playing hard for him but whatever he is trying to teach isn't working because the trends are still constant. I personally don't get all the hate for GM Joe. Yes he's missed on some deals but he's also made the organization better from top to bottom in my opinion and infused some young talent in here.

Joe has been hosed on most of the trades. Most of the general managers in the league know his record. The ONLY prospect Joe has that is close to NHL ready is Joe Morrow, but even he has never played a single minute in the NHL. The team wasn't great when he got here, but he has broken the team down and doesn't have a damn clue on how to rebuild. We've been in "rebuilding" mode since he got here.

The fact that they got anything of note for Morrow, Roy, and Jagr is excellent. How can you say Newy will screw up on the picks? Hockey in many ways is similar to baseball that when you fully go the rebuilding route it takes time. The fans need to have patience and accept reality that they were not a good team. Fans want to talk about the Neal trade but I guarantee you that Neal wouldn't duplicate the numbers here because he benefits from playing on one of the best teams in hockey. Do fans forget Ivan Vishnevsky for Kari Lehtonen? How about the short 1 year deals he's done to make the team at least respectable. They didn't have any stability or any ownership until a year ago. I happen to think Newy is a good GM and that has taken some of his lumps but there actually is talent in the farm system now that will take some time to come up but they're on their way.

No, they haven't. They got draft picks which he will screw up, and none of the 3 prospects are anywhere near NHL ready. Eff Joe. He's got to go.

Gully needs to go too. But I am losing faith in the new owner, he doesn't seem to understand the dispair of the fans.

At this point, I'm even afraid they will screw up the new uniforms.