Big East ready to respond

Harry

Having absorbed a direct hit by losing the Catholic 7 group of schools over the weekend, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is about to go into a battle mode with a series of moves designed to not only reinvigorate his embattled league, but also put it in position to emerge as a viable 6th conference that could sit at the table with the five so called Super Conferencesthe Big 12, Big 10, ACC, Pac-12, and SEC.

According to sources in the Big East, Arseco and company are planning on exploring the following moves.

1. Sell the name Big East" to the basketball schools after getting some assurances from the NCAA that the cost of losing the Big East name will not cost them too much in the lucrative NCAA basketball tournament. If the name is sold to the new Big East, the old Big East will petition the NCAA to get a 32nd guaranteed spot for its champion.

Aresco is unlikely to do this until after next season since the Big East name still has a guaranteed BCS bowl slot for one more year if it can maintain its composition.

After the bowl games are played next season, then the old Big East can fade into oblivion in terms of its name.

Arescos contention is that a basketball league with Connecticut, Cincinnati, Memphis and Temple has a decent foundation to build.

2. Give East Carolina full membership (the original deal was football only) which would give the new league an Eastern group of Cincinnati, UConn, South Florida, Temple, East Carolina, Central Florida, Tulane and in 2015 Navy.

Form a western group which would include Memphis, Houston, SMU, Boise State, San Diego State and either Air Force, BYU, Nevada, UNLV or Fresno. The capacity to expand to as many as 16 teams remains on the board, although the plan now is go into increments as teams change, going from 12 teams next season to 14, 15 or 16 teams in the following seasons.

In basketball, the all sports group would be all of the schools in the Eastern Group other than Navy, as well as Memphis, SMU, and Houston. That would be a 10 team league which could work perfectly in terms of scheduling. But additional teams (UMass) could be considered.

Read more: http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4420

I just hope it lasts long enough for UNT to get established with a few of the current CUSA West teams to see what type of impact that might have on the program. Four years of playing teams like UTEP, Tulsa, Rice, UTSA, La Tech would be a nice start. My fear is that if nBE is able to pry a team from MWC, the MWC may decide to respond by going to 12 or 14.

There are several scenarios where I could see UNT getting left out of a MWC-12/14, so I would prefer CUSA to stay put for a few years if possible.

• Upvote 3

Having absorbed a direct hit by losing the Catholic 7 group of schools over the weekend, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is about to go into a battle mode with a series of moves designed to not only reinvigorate his embattled league, but also put it in position to emerge as a viable 6th conference that could sit at the table with the five so called Super Conferencesthe Big 12, Big 10, ACC, Pac-12, and SEC.

According to sources in the Big East, Arseco and company are planning on exploring the following moves.

1. Sell the name Big East" to the basketball schools after getting some assurances from the NCAA that the cost of losing the Big East name will not cost them too much in the lucrative NCAA basketball tournament. If the name is sold to the new Big East, the old Big East will petition the NCAA to get a 32nd guaranteed spot for its champion.

Aresco is unlikely to do this until after next season since the Big East name still has a guaranteed BCS bowl slot for one more year if it can maintain its composition.

After the bowl games are played next season, then the old Big East can fade into oblivion in terms of its name.

Arescos contention is that a basketball league with Connecticut, Cincinnati, Memphis and Temple has a decent foundation to build.

2. Give East Carolina full membership (the original deal was football only) which would give the new league an Eastern group of Cincinnati, UConn, South Florida, Temple, East Carolina, Central Florida, Tulane and in 2015 Navy.

Form a western group which would include Memphis, Houston, SMU, Boise State, San Diego State and either Air Force, BYU, Nevada, UNLV or Fresno. The capacity to expand to as many as 16 teams remains on the board, although the plan now is go into increments as teams change, going from 12 teams next season to 14, 15 or 16 teams in the following seasons.

In basketball, the all sports group would be all of the schools in the Eastern Group other than Navy, as well as Memphis, SMU, and Houston. That would be a 10 team league which could work perfectly in terms of scheduling. But additional teams (UMass) could be considered.

Read more: http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4420

I think the expansion of the nBE means trouble for the nCUSA just like the expansion of the AQ conferences means trouble for the nBE...trouble for the nCUSA means trouble for UNT since we have basicly had a failed program for the last 8 yrs...are we in the process of turning this around...maybe, but I'm not convinced yet...2013 season will tell me where we are...if we lose to a startup like UTSA, without facilities...then that will tell us just how good our current coach is...our decision process on our football program is way too slow...that is one reason we are in our current situation.

• Upvote 1

Since when is Memphis a Western School? I'm sure their Olympic sports are gonna love those trips to Reno, Boise, San Diego, Salt Lake, etc.

Oh, wait, I forgot they are going to get 15 million dollars for their new TV contract. That will make it work out just fine.

Boise and San Diego's Olympic sports are in the Big West Conference. Their deal is for football only.

you guys are desperate for us and SMU to fail. We're not going to take a step back and go to MWC or CUSA. Especially not when there's still a BCS AQ spot for 2013. Also, here's an excerpt from one of today's ESPN insider articles about the top free agents for the power 5.

The author, Ryan McGee, listed BYU at #1, noting their unique national following.

Surprisingly, #2 on the list is UH. Excerpt:

"When they win, the city really gets behind them," said an SEC administrator, directly referencing Houston's Southwest Conference membership from 1971 through its disbanding in '95. "They've always been caught in between the Texas and Texas A&M crowds, but if they were ever to get back to a top-level conference, where they really have a shot at competing for big championships, the potential there is through the roof."

#3 is Cincy, #4 Boise and #5 Temple.

The next five (in no particular order): SMU, San Diego State, Navy, USF, UConn

Thought it was an interesting perspective from a former ESPN and Fox Sports television producer.

Well waddya know, everybody listed by ESPN is either in the nBE or is an indy. I wonder why everybody in CUSA wants us and SMU to fail. Hmmm...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

you guys are desperate for us and SMU to fail. We're not going to take a step back and go to MWC or CUSA. Especially not when there's still a BCS AQ spot for 2013. Also, here's an excerpt from one of today's ESPN insider articles about the top free agents for the power 5.

The author, Ryan McGee, listed BYU at #1, noting their unique national following.

Surprisingly, #2 on the list is UH. Excerpt:

"When they win, the city really gets behind them," said an SEC administrator, directly referencing Houston's Southwest Conference membership from 1971 through its disbanding in '95. "They've always been caught in between the Texas and Texas A&M crowds, but if they were ever to get back to a top-level conference, where they really have a shot at competing for big championships, the potential there is through the roof."

#3 is Cincy, #4 Boise and #5 Temple.

The next five (in no particular order): SMU, San Diego State, Navy, USF, UConn

Thought it was an interesting perspective from a former ESPN and Fox Sports television producer.

Well waddya know, everybody listed by ESPN is either in the nBE or is an indy. I wonder why everybody in CUSA wants us and SMU to fail. Hmmm...

I actually agree with the SEC official's comments on Houston.

An honest question for you, as you seem to be the only Houston follower here:

Are you even slightly worried about the fragility of this new conference you're entering? I'm not trying to say you'll be back in C-USA or MWC or anything, I'm just curious if you guys are even slightly concerned that there may be a buzzsaw running behind door number 3 as you're about to walk in. Of course, it could be a new car! But it seems like Houston and SMU fans are willing themselves to ignore the possibility of a catastrophe, particularly after the 2013 season.

• Upvote 2

I actually agree with the SEC official's comments on Houston.

An honest question for you, as you seem to be the only Houston follower here:

Are you even slightly worried about the fragility of this new conference you're entering? I'm not trying to say you'll be back in C-USA or MWC or anything, I'm just curious if you guys are even slightly concerned that there may be a buzzsaw running behind door number 3 as you're about to walk in. Of course, it could be a new car! But it seems like Houston and SMU fans are willing themselves to ignore the possibility of a catastrophe, particularly after the 2013 season.

Not at all. They say you miss 100% of the shots you don't take and we have everything to gain and nothing to lose. This is still a BCS conference in 2013 which already makes it much, much more attractive regardless of geography and it also means we don't even have to go undefeated just to get a chance at a BCS bowl and much less a MNC. If the Power 5 decide to expand to 16 teams each, the top 10 targets are either Indy (BYU and Navy) or part of the nBE. They aren't going to to even sniff the MWC/MAC/CUSA/Sun Belt for expansion candidates.

UNT has been trying to play if safe for over 30 years and look where it's gotten them. Take Aggy for another example, the SEC was/is a massive gamble which could nuke their program for decades (not that I wouldn't mind that) and the jury is still out on them, but at this rate it looks like this gamble is paying off. Same thing with TCU and they're looking good.

All I'm saying, is that UNT has to stop being afraid of the unknown and to take some risks in order to reap the reward. You may or may not have already known this but there was a time where Rice was bringing 50-70,000 per game and little ol UH was only half of that. Rice was bigger and stronger and tried to force UH into 1-AA territory. BUT they got content and started doing things "The Rice way" not taking any risks or whatnot. So, UH grew and grew to the point where Rice is powerless against them now. With Khator's administration, we were able to choke out Rice as a threat and now they're trying to keep up with us. As seen when they announced stadium renovations after we revealed our stadium renderings.

We all are very excited about next year and have even bought a few bodybag games like the other AQ schools.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Not at all. They say you miss 100% of the shots you don't take and we have everything to gain and nothing to lose. This is still a BCS conference in 2013 which already makes it much, much more attractive regardless of geography and it also means we don't even have to go undefeated just to get a chance at a BCS bowl and much less a MNC. If the Power 5 decide to expand to 16 teams each, the top 10 targets are either Indy (BYU and Navy) or part of the nBE. They aren't going to to even sniff the MWC/MAC/CUSA/Sun Belt for expansion candidates.

UNT has been trying to play if safe for over 30 years and look where it's gotten them. Take Aggy for another example, the SEC was/is a massive gamble which could nuke their program for decades (not that I wouldn't mind that) and the jury is still out on them, but at this rate it looks like this gamble is paying off. Same thing with TCU and they're looking good.

All I'm saying, is that UNT has to stop being afraid of the unknown and to take some risks in order to reap the reward. You may or may not have already known this but there was a time where Rice was bringing 50-70,000 per game and little ol UH was only half of that. Rice was bigger and stronger and tried to force UH into 1-AA territory. BUT they got content and started doing things "The Rice way" not taking any risks or whatnot. So, UH grew and grew to the point where Rice is powerless against them now. With Khator's administration, we were able to choke out Rice as a threat and now they're trying to keep up with us. As seen when they announced stadium renovations after we revealed our stadium renderings.

We all are very excited about next year and have even bought a few bodybag games like the other AQ schools.

Moving conferences doesn't show a leap of faith. Especially these days. You speak about this University always playing it safe. You don't have the knowledge to speak about our history. Grow up. When a grown up with experience doesn't know something, they don't speak. Get off your soap box and stop trying to give an educational lecture that takes passive aggressive shots at the school you use to attend. Especially when most of your audience has more time on the shitter than you have eating solid food. Usually you are amusing in the way watching fat people jog is amusing. Tonight you are annoying to the tune of I think you should be banned once and for all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Darn, I must have had my first stroke because I'm actually agreeing with most of Cougar King's post.

CK, I was at some of those Astrodome UH games when Bo Burris, Warren McVae, Paul Gipson, Jerry Drones, Kenny Hebert, etc, were all wearing the red and white. Even then had there not been a Bluebonnet Bow game many of UH's best teams back then would have never gotten any bowl invite, ie, pre-SWC era.

Much of what is in this link below indicates why North Texas is mired in quagmire of mud. Even if we had even been offered a Big East invite which we know would never happen; but still, I am not sure we would have even accepted. We really didn't make CUSA happen (before it became a shadow of its self) and for what it's worth...............SMU made CUSA happen for us--we merely backed into that conference. And the MWC? I am not sure some of our leaders even know what those initials stand for. After a lifetime of all this you sorta' have trends to go by as to what you can expect in Denton. (We REALLY need Coach Mac to be a raging success...and I actually think he has a chance to do that; for other areas of UNT athletics I am just not nearly as confident).

.http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/teams/nt.shtml

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2