Sunday Night 12-9-12 UNT Recruiting News

Harry

Hopefully, this is the early version of tonight’s notes. I still have calls out to a couple of people I am hoping to hear back from, but at this point it looks like UNT has landed commitments from two players.

Trinity Valley center Shawn McKinney and Hannahville (La.) linebacker Sergio Medina both committed after weekend visits.

I have a call out to Medina and hope to hear back from some time in the next hour or so and am also trying to track McKinney down.

McKinney was also offered a scholarship by Central Arkansas and Grambling and appears to be a player UNT could plug in and play right away at center with Aaron Fortenberry — the only first-team All-Sun Belt selection UNT had last year — graduating. Boone Feldt was expected to jump into that role after signing last year, when he was arguably UNT’s best recruit.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2012/12/sunday-night-recruiting-notes-2.html/

I was certainly hoping for more. As someone who follows recruiting very closely i get excited to see new commits. Im typically the "hey these kids are in high school" "don't judge a class till after a few years" and all that other jazz but this class is shaping up to be very meh up to this point.

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 2

I was certainly hoping for more. As someone who follows recruiting very closely i get excited to see new commits. Im typically the "hey these kids are in high school" "don't judge a class till after a few years" and all that other jazz but this class is shaping up to be very meh up to this point.

Agree. Nothing exciting so far. But hey, we did beat out Grambling and Central Ark.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Honest question but how did TCU and Boise do it during their continuous upswing? Didn't they do the same things of getting guys out of nowhere but developing the crap out of players and instilling a set system? College recruiting goes over my head so I don't know but I thought that is what GP and Boise had done for a long time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Honest question but how did TCU and Boise do it during their continuous upswing? Didn't they do the same things of getting guys out of nowhere but developing the crap out of players and instilling a set system? College recruiting goes over my head so I don't know but I thought that is what GP and Boise had done for a long time.

Not really. We're they landing 4* guys? No. It started off as classes full of 2* guys with some 3* sprinkled in but the 2* guys had other offers. And im talking about classes from 98-2001. They weren't taking kids who's only offer was TCU. They got safety's and moved them to LB, LB to DE, DE to DT. TCU has only had 2 classes in the last 11 that haven't had a 4* recruit. Everyone wants to try and compare to what were getting now to how TCU started. It's not the same.

• Upvote 1

Boise in the 90's had a one arm safety starting and did make interceptions.

I want to say this class is looking great. I want to shut up all the MAc haters. But up to this point this class is disappointing. Who is the biggest school we've beat out for a recruit to this point? ULL? ULM? Grambling? You can't just look at the star rating, you can't just look at measurable, you can't just look at other schools that offered. But you can and should look at all 3 to get a idea of the recruit.

But let's keep in mind that this class is only half complete at this point.

Edited by H-towngreen

WAC had basically no limit on the number of partial qualifiers you could take until five or so seasons ago. So, if a kid in California couldn't make grades or test scores, he was snapped up by Fresno State or Boise State.

Under pressure from the NCAA, WAC tuned their recruiting rules to basically fit the other conferences. Fresno State lost their momentum at that point. Boise hasn't lost theirs. But, they aren't news the way they were when those non-qualifiers were still on campus.

June Jones whining about Fresno and their taking on partial-qualifiers back in the day:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2001/Aug/10/sp/sp02a.html

Boise did the same until the WAC cracked down. They handled the momentum they gained off of it better than Fresno. But, it's not tough to remember those 2000 - 2002 years when Fresno State was the talk of the non-BCS town.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Also, I'll admit to not being impressed with the schools we seem to be "winning" recruits from.

However, I will say that our OL coach is doing one heck of a job getting underclassmen ready to compete. So, I'm not as concerned at getting a JUCO OL at the expense of Central Arkansas and Grambling as I would be a WR.

Don't throw your shoulder out patting yourself on your back coach, I mean officer. I have a title at work also, but I don't get bent out of shape if someone just calls me by my name.

Does being a sergeant qualify you to rate football talent?

• Upvote 4

I don't think TCU has ever had classes as lowly rated as NT's have been since moving back up to FB status. They build up getting kids that didn't have offers from the big 12 not that didn't have offers from anywhere.

I don't think comparisons to TCU are accurate since they had/have name recognition from the SWC. Now Boise would be a more fair comparison.

• Upvote 3

Don't throw your shoulder out patting yourself on your back coach, I mean officer. I have a title at work also, but I don't get bent out of shape if someone just calls me by my name.

Work title or gtfo.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No more or less than whatever it is you do qualifies you to get butt hurt when I don't fall in line with the "it's all rainbows and unicorns because Mac has skins on the wall" parade.

Mac has been a head football coach. Yay! So has Todd Dodge. So has Phil Bennett. I've been a police officer, a detective and now a Sergeant. And I'm no more immune to people criticizing my professional shortcomings than they are simply because I do it for a living. Only a moron would respond to legitimate criticism with "you're not a coach so I'll trust them".

And I don't need to pat myself on the back. Just like coaching I'm in a field where results matter. I'm still employed and don't get the luxury of "four years to really get an idea of how good he is".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't think comparisons to TCU are accurate since they had/have name recognition from the SWC. Now Boise would be a more fair comparison.

Maybe, but Boise is a whole state's darling. Not many players in Idaho but they get a bunch from the rest of the West coast.

I just wonder who in Texas you think would be a fair comparison? UTEP which is very isolated from the rest of the state and the Texas twins which are already even if not ahead of NT in recruiting. All the rest were in the SWC, so I guess NT can't compete with them.

I think I know what you are saying, and nobody expects NT to be competitive with TCU now. The problem is it is very difficult to think of any fb division team that NT is competitive in recruiting. The idea that Boise and TCU were successful building their program with out blue chips is true and certainly show it can be done. Frankly, NT's climb though is going to be far more difficult than either of those.

I'll bet Emmit's rookie partner would do a much better job if given the opportunity. What has Emmit really done to help his station win the fight against crime? He is not really a closer. His Lieutenant doesn't ever assign him to the big/high profile cases and only allows him to work the short/safe cases. And everyone knows that this is because the Chief is really the one that doesn't trust Emmit and does not allow the Lieutenant to assign Emmit to the big cases.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 1

I'll bet Emmit's rookie partner would do a much better job if given the opportunity. What has Emmit really done to help his station win the fight against crime? He is not really a closer. His Lieutenant doesn't ever assign him to the big/high profile cases and only allows him to work the short/safe cases. And everyone knows that this is because the Chief is really the one that doesn't trust Emmit and does not allow the Lieutenant to assign Emmit to the big cases.

Cute.

Like running up the middle predictably into a stacked box, or recruiting kids with a ho hum offer list...that kind of cute.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2