FAU to CUSA

GangGreen

I understand MTSU, but why FAU? I would much rather have La-la. I would bet they attract more of the NOLA market than Tulane, plus they have a better athletic program. FAU brings the cocaine and silicone crowd from Boca and they could care less about FAU.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

I understand MTSU, but why FAU? I would much rather have La-la. I would bet they attract more of the NOLA market than Tulane, plus they have a better athletic program. FAU brings the cocaine and silicone crowd from Boca and they could care less about FAU.

they have Hasidic cokeheads?

I think you are referencing the wrong geo.

I understand MTSU, but why FAU?

First off Boca Raton is the 38th largest TV market (listed as West Palm Beach in Nielson rankings). It is a different TV market from FIU (Miami Ft. Lauderdale is the 16th in TV Markets). It locks up Florida from other conferences, ie Sun Belt is out of there for recruiting purposes. It also makes travel MUCH easier because you have two schools you can get to on one trip for basketball and non revenue sports. It creates a perfect cross town rival for both schools. It helps the eastern schools like Marshall in recruiting skill position players etc from the State. FAU has a brand new stadium and is committed to new facilities which doesn't hurt either. They hired a new football coach who appears to be on the right track. FIU and FAU are not a lot different from what UCF and USF were awhile back. They both have a lot of potential because of all the talent in that State. I think it is a good move for the conference.

Here's a link to the top national TV markets: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/08/31/nielsen-local-television-market-universe-estimates-for-2012-13/146976/

Lifer, don't worry, la la will be in our conference sooner than later. Western Ky, and Arky St won't be far behind. I can't imagine that S. Miss, Marshall, and Central Florida are thrilled with the eastern division of Conference USA right now.

• Upvote 1

Nielson rankings on new Beast and CUSA adds

Tulane (New Orleans) is ranked as the 51st

ECU listed as 100th

MTSU (Nashville) 29th

FAU (Boca Raton West Palm Beach) 38th

I would say that C-USA did ok when you look at what transpired on the TV Market front.

Nielson rankings on new Beast and CUSA adds

Tulane (New Orleans) is ranked as the 51st

ECU listed as 100th

MTSU (Nashville) 29th

FAU (Boca Raton West Palm Beach) 38th

I would say that C-USA did ok when you look at what transpired on the TV Market front.

Very valid point, Harry.

With TV deals driving all of this and causing higher ups to dismiss logic, you've got to look at those numbers and consider the fact that CUSA could very well be in a better position than Beast.

• Upvote 1

Lifer, don't worry, la la will be in our conference sooner than later. Western Ky, and Arky St won't be far behind. I can't imagine that S. Miss, Marshall, and Central Florida are thrilled with the eastern division of Conference USA right now.

UCF is in the Big East next year.

• Upvote 1

CUSA West

UNT

Tulsa

La. Tech

Southern Miss

Rice

UTEP

UTSA

That group shows why the CUSA, even after the defections, is a step up from the Sun Belt for UNT. Three Texas schools as conference mates (vs. none in the Belt) and two border state schools with a bigger profile than the old two (UL-Lafayette and UL-Monroe).

• Upvote 4

So with the addition of Middle Tennessee and Florida Atlantic, is this correct?

CUSA East

Marshall

Old Dominion

Charlotte

FIU

FAU

UAB

MUTS

CUSA West

UNT

Tulsa

La. Tech

Southern Miss

Rice

UTEP

UTSA

If that is correct, and stable, I love the western division.

• Upvote 2

That group shows why the CUSA, even after the defections, is a step up from the Sun Belt for UNT. Three Texas schools as conference mates (vs. none in the Belt) and two border state schools with a bigger profile than the old two (UL-Lafayette and UL-Monroe).

Unfortunately, this whole thing has not played out yet.

• Upvote 1

So with the addition of Middle Tennessee and Florida Atlantic, is this correct?

CUSA East

Marshall

Old Dominion

Charlotte

FIU

FAU

UAB

MUTS

CUSA West

UNT

Tulsa

La. Tech

Southern Miss

Rice

UTEP

UTSA

I think this is very likely how it will end up. I don't get all the bemoaning of SBC2, perhaps if you were in the Eastern division you could make that case but the west is all new teams for us. I really like that Western conference for us.

If that is correct, and stable, I love the western division.

Completely agree. Don't know why people are freaking out about these additions. I get it's not the "Old CUSA" but it's much better than where we were in the Sun Belt. Not to mention regional rivalries with the CUSA West will be a blast. Florida is a good state to have a yearly visit to for recruiting. Covers some pretty respectable TV markets. Basketball will be good. Etc. etc.

• Upvote 2