If we play usta in the Alamo City

Mo Green

Thanksgiving weekend has the Christmas lighting river party on the river downtown,Friday. The lights are beautiful & I will get a pregame party/tailgate off the river that night.

The problem is getting our season's game to be in San Antonio post Thanksgiving. Everyone can drive down here Friday and have dinner with meeeeeeeeeeeeeee if the athletic administration will act on this. My money is that they WILL NOT. What do you say.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I live in SA. I wanted the TxSt-UTSA matchup to be ON thanksgiving. That would have been awesome. Now that we our biggest in-state rival will be UTSA? I'd love to make that matchup be on the biggest stage.

Judging by UTSA's trip to Rice this season and the Sam Houston State game last year, that fanbase travels fairly well so the return games in Denton would be packed.

Let's make it happen AD.

• Upvote 1

traditional In-state rivalries (FBS and FCS)

UT-A&M* (Formerly annual thanksgiving week game)

A&M-Baylor* (Battle of the Brazos)

A&M-Tech*

Tech-Baylor

Baylor-UT

UT-Tech

SMU-TCU (Iron Skillet game)

Houston-Rice (Bayou bucket game)

Sam Houston-SFA (Piney woods battle or something)

Lamar-Sam Houston

UTEP-New Mexico State (Battle of I-10)

Texas State-UTSA (brand new football rivalry but rivals in every other sport)

Texas Southern-Prairie View A&M (Labor Day classic)

UNT is the odd man out.

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Downvote 8

Looks like for now Tech is going east, which kind of sucks for us because I see them more as our natural rival than Tulsa.

West Pairings will be UTEP - UTSA, Rice - Tulane, NT - Tulsa.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't UTEP going to be UTSA's natural rival? After all the hand sign/uniform/etc stealing that UTSA did I thought that UTEP now hates their guts?

Our rival is going to be LaTech....or Tulsa if they throw LaTech in the East division. My $.02.

traditional In-state rivalries (FBS and FCS)

UT-A&M* (Formerly annual thanksgiving week game)

A&M-Baylor* (Battle of the Brazos)

A&M-Tech*

Tech-Baylor

Baylor-UT

UT-Tech

SMU-TCU (Iron Skillet game)

Houston-Rice (Bayou bucket game)

Sam Houston-SFA (Piney woods battle or something)

Lamar-Sam Houston

UTEP-New Mexico State (Battle of I-10)

Texas State-UTSA (brand new football rivalry but rivals in every other sport)

Texas Southern-Prairie View A&M (Labor Day classic)

UNT is the odd man out.

Hey, genious . . . Texas State and UTSA will not be in the same conference, and will not be playing each other anymore, at least not annually.

That said, I would rather have any team in C-USA be our "rival" than UTSA.

• Upvote 3

Hey, genious . . . Texas State and UTSA will not be in the same conference, and will not be playing each other anymore, at least not annually.

That said, I would rather have any team in C-USA be our "rival" than UTSA.

Agree. Two years of football, much less FBS football, and utsa is already a rival? Really??? Our standards have dipped so low.

• Upvote 3

Agree. Two years of football, much less FBS football, and utsa is already a rival? Really??? Our standards have dipped so low.

Rivalries are typically geographic in nature. UTSA is just getting started but they are in San Antonio which for most of us is a doable road trip. We are coming from two stints in conferences (Big West, Sun Belt) in which we had not one team in the State of Texas to begin a rivalry with. Now we have three and actually six if you include La. Tech, Tulane and Tulsa.

Rivalries are typically geographic in nature. UTSA is just getting started but they are in San Antonio which for most of us is a doable road trip. We are coming from two stints in conferences (Big West, Sun Belt) in which we had not one team in the State of Texas to begin a rivalry with. Now we have three and actually six if you include La. Tech, Tulane and Tulsa.

UTSA fans think we are arrogant (I am very arrogant), talk down (yep), and trying to keep them down. That is pretty much a rivalry right there. Don't think of it as Rival = Equals. It is more WANT THEM TO LOSE SO BADLY.

I dislike SMU/TCU way more than UTSA (I am from SA so I have nice feelings towards them).

UTSA already has played Rice, LaTech, NMSU, Utah St, will play Idaho and TxSt -- all old WAC rivals or in-state matchups. I'm kind of jealous. Our last matchups with Rice, Houston, and Tulsa have all been noncompetitive. Sigh

I know @djmcld despises Tusla. I can't get behind that. I mostly don't care.

• Upvote 1

Louisiana Tech is going east for (likely only) one year. In 2014 Old Dominion joins (they'll count in the standings) and in 2015 Charlotte joins for football. Since both are in the east, I expect La Tech to switch to the west; giving us seven in each division.

I think at that time we should develop three rivalries...1) Rice, 2) Tulsa and 3) Louisiana Tech.

Rice should be a rivalry because we are located in the two largest metropolitan areas of the state. Metro Trophy with tall buildings? Tulsa is our closest conference mate in terms of mileage and we have a longer history with them than the other two. Cowboys and Indians Trophy? Louisiana Tech might take a little more head-scratching for a purpose and a trophy name. Both of us have been CUSA wannabes for a long time and were former Southland Conference mates. This trophy might involve a little more creative thinking but we do have some things in common besides proximity.

For the time being it's a little early to do a lot with UTEP and UTSA other than enjoy playing a Texas team. Maybe, one of these days...?

• Upvote 2

Thanksgiving weekend has the Christmas lighting river party on the river downtown,Friday. The lights are beautiful & I will get a pregame party/tailgate off the river that night.

The problem is getting our season's game to be in San Antonio post Thanksgiving. Everyone can drive down here Friday and have dinner with meeeeeeeeeeeeeee if the athletic administration will act on this. My money is that they WILL NOT. What do you say.

I think either weekend around the first week of November is better. Then the Mean Green fans can join me at Wurstfest!!

Regional rivalries develop because the fans of the teams work together, know each other, etc... It would be nice to develop an in state OOC rival in addition to conference foes with teams that have alumni in the area. Hopefully the upcoming series with smoo can turn into something long term.

The other usual suspects would also work (UH, TT, BU, TCU, TxSt). I am not sure how far the Tulsa, LaTech, Tulane rivalries will grow even if they are in conference. We have had ArkSt, ULM and ULL on the schedule for a while now and nothing really significant developed. The 3 new teams are probably better known, but I am not sure how many alumni are in the area. Two of them are small private schools that don't have a ton of alumni to begin with and LaTech can't have a ton of alumni around DFW (but maybe more than the other two).

As discussed many times before, a rivalry with TxSt could easily be renewed (they are the team UNT has played most in our history), but there seems to be some hesitency on our part, their part, or both. It may be that we (and others) want to try to freeze them out of additional in state games since they are about to experience what we just went through for the last decade (being the outlier in a conference with no instate conference mates for football).

Either way, between our expected conference schedule, plus OOC games already on the schedule, the next several years look great.

• Upvote 1

Froggy has ADD. No need to thank me, just take your drugs & you'll be OK.

That's not what I use them for...

UTSA doesn't want a rivalry with you guys according to their boards. They want Texas State. Like I said, UNT is the odd man out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nice.

That portion of the reply was not provoked only by the ignorance of that particular post. It was a response to a troll, a troll who would be better served to go find a TCU message board that will accept him.

"Education"? Don't make me laugh, UNT is a complete joke. You honestly think the glorified community college in Denton is better than a degree from TCU? Sure, music but if I want a real degree, I wouldn't get one from UNT. You have no in-state rivalries, nobody wanted you in the SWC, nobody wanted you in C-USA while we, SMUt and Houston were there. People in Texas barely even want to play you and when they do, it's because they need a tune-up game. You finally get into C-USA and it's after we all go to better conferences.

I guess this is big by UNT standards.

Texas State is UTSA's rival (they call them nUTSAck). There is no disputing this. TxState was the real school that everyone would transfer to if they couldn't get into UT after two years at UTSA. Now that UTSA has a football team and the better conference it creates a nice little fight between the two.

I want a rival. I know we don't get to pick -- it's kind of like a nickname -- but you kind of already have ones you would like to beat. I love the SMU thing we have scheduled but lets put it to a test:

You only get one win, who is it over?

SMU

UTSA

UTEP

LATECH

RICE

TULANE

My vote? 1. SMU 2. UTSA 3. Rice 4. LaTech 5. Tulane

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 1

Texas State is UTSA's rival (they call them nUTSAck). There is no disputing this. TxState was the real school that everyone would transfer to if they couldn't get into UT after two years at UTSA. Now that UTSA has a football team and the better conference it creates a nice little fight between the two.

I want a rival. I know we don't get to pick -- it's kind of like a nickname -- but you kind of already have ones you would like to beat. I love the SMU thing we have scheduled lets put it to a test:

You only get one win, who is it over:

SMU

UTSA

UTEP

LATECH

RICE

TULANE

My vote? 1. SMU 2. UTSA 3. Rice 4. LaTech 5. Tulane

I'd rather beat SMU than any of those other teams. And maybe we'll get a little rivalry back going with them when we have our upcoming series with them. But being in different conferences, it is unlikely that we will be each other's main rival any time soon.

The most logical rival for us is Tulsa. The UT link as well as geography suggests to me that UTSA and UTEP will build some kind of rivalry in years to come. LaTech will probably see another La school as its closest rival. But we are the closest C-USA school to Tulsa. First thing we'll have to do to make it a rivalry is beat them a time or two. We've been a far cry from that during the past decade.

• Upvote 1

It's not that uncommon to have a rival that is not in the same conference so it could work. SMU would be at the top of the list for me too in terms of who I would rather see us beat.

All time records against teams listed:

SMU ------- 4-28-1

UTSA ------ 0-0

UTEP ------ 13-5-3

LaTech ---- 5-6

Rice -------- 1-2

Tulane ----- 0-0

Tulsa --------6-17

Add'l TX schools

TxSt --------28-6-3

UH ----------7-7

TTech ------4-4