OSU Scrimmage

H-towngreen

I noticed against ECU Chris kept having to go to the lockerroom and was drinking Gatorade off on the side. Benford said cramping but it seemed like he was dehydrated to me. Hope all these guys are ready for Creighton!

I noticed that too. I saw him land in the paint and it looked like he may have tweaked his hammy. He came back in though so idk.

We are assuming, from a tweet written in South Dallas (yes, that's a language) that we didnt fare well?

Geez, some people will complain about anything! The sun will still come up tomorrow over the Super Pit. I know my bride and I will be there to cheer on the Mean Green.

plz teach me south Dallas speak. Plz.

Yes they lost but it was a good game. Would have blown them out if everyone was healthy. I do know Jordan had 27 points. Still getting info

I hope people don't come unhinged if this team takes some time to come together.

New coach, guys who have never really played together before (major college basketball and running against scrubs at the PEB is much, much different), and a new system may mean some unexpected early season losses. We will be fine come conference time.

• Upvote 3

I hope people don't come unhinged if this team takes some time to come together.

New coach, guys who have never really played together before (major college basketball and running against scrubs at the PEB is much, much different), and a new system may mean some unexpected early season losses. We will be fine come conference time.

We do not have time to wait for this team to come together in conference. This team needs some signature wins OOC or we will be a 15 seed if we win the conference tournament.

• Upvote 3

Exactly. Seems like we say the same things each year, but it bears repeating again.

This team still doesn't have much time together on the floor against organized competition (for a variety of reasons...youth, transfers, ineligibility issues last year, ect.). Basketball is such a game of flow and being comfortable with your teammates. It can take some time to grow into a cohesive unit.

I fear monumental letdown with some in the fan base if we come back from Creighton with a loss, which would be unjustified. We're starting our season out in the hornets nest.

• Upvote 1

I fear monumental letdown with some in the fan base if we come back from Creighton with a loss, which would be unjustified. We're starting our season out in the hornets nest.

If it's a close loss, I think everyone will be ok with it, considering the level of competition.

The insanity will occur if it is a blowout loss, which is very possible. Creighton is an experienced top 25 team with a lot of time playing together as a team and will be playing at home in front of a rabid crowd who are anticipating their very own dream season.

Throw a blowout loss to Creighton on top of the recent football woes, and you got a recipe for a complete melt down (which would be completely unfair to the basketball team). Hopefully people will take a breath if this happens and realize it is one game in a season that could still bring great things.

I'm not saying this will happen, but UNT is an unknown commodity at this point and time. Hopefully we beat Creighton by 20 and open a lot of eyes, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost, and lost by more than 10.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

For all the talent and atheticism we have, Creighton matches with chemistry, continuity and exceeds in experience. Our team has a ton of expectations, but I can't get over the fact that we have some very new faces, including a new coach.

Chemistry makes such a difference.

For every other returning letterman we have, they can tout the same (10 total), including 4 returning starters that took them to the S16 last year.

We have so much ridiculous talent and are so high on what amounts to tangibles. But our intangibles will lose us some games we probably shouldn't. It will be interesting to see how the board reacts.

• Upvote 3

You mean we won't go undefeated this season?

Ha! I know you are kidding, but this is what concerns me going into this season...I think expectations might just be a tad high right now, and if it happens that it is the case, what will happen then? I think this team is going to be very very good in the Sunbelt this year and could contend in other "bigger named" conferences as well...but no way this team goes undefeated...way harder to do in basketball than in football.....and I expect them to win the SBC tournament...but win every game against the likes of Creighton, K-State, etc. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. It is, however, going to be one of the "funnest" for the fans and one of the more "successful" for the team than we have seen in many years at UNT, so buckle up, get your season tickets and come enjoy the ride!

• Upvote 1

Everyone does realize that we were not picked to with the Sun Belt this year, right? Also, we have not received a single top 25 vote, much less been ranked in any poll. With that being said I don't understand why anyone expects us to beat top 25 teams and dominate the conference.

Not sure where you're getting your info?

DENTON, Texas – The North Texas men’s basketball team was tabbed to win the Sun Belt West Division and Tony Mitchell was named the league’s Preseason Player of the Year in the conference’s annual preseason poll. I'll agree no top 25 votes.

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=9106&SPID=564&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205718613

• Upvote 1

Not sure where you're getting your info?

DENTON, Texas – The North Texas men’s basketball team was tabbed to win the Sun Belt West Division and Tony Mitchell was named the league’s Preseason Player of the Year in the conference’s annual preseason poll. I'll agree no top 25 votes.

http://www.meangreen...TCLID=205718613

Read what you just posted. It states that UNT was picked to win the West Division, not the conference. That's my point.

• Upvote 1

I heard we lost by 6. That's all I know.

Very acceptable. At OSU. OSU is ranked 28 in the Sagarin computer rankings. We are 134. Missing 2 starters (Patton and Coleman, maybe still in the doghouse?).

Overall, a 6 point loss is very acceptable. I'd take that in Omaha.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Read what you just posted. It states that UNT was picked to win the West Division, not the conference. That's my point.

Everywhere I read they pick a west and an east winner, not necessarily an overall winner, who is to say if they did that it would not be us. Also on ESPN insider the expert who was making picks for every conference did pick us.

• Upvote 1

Everywhere I read they pick a west and an east winner, not necessarily an overall winner, who is to say if they did that it would not be us. Also on ESPN insider the expert who was making picks for every conference did pick us.

Based on the Sun Belt Coach's poll, MTSU had more points than UNT (65 to 55). True, they did not technically predict a conference winner, but since MTSU had significantly more points, MTSU would be the logical choice based on the voting. Also, you would think the coaches of the Sun Belt would have better knowledge about the teams than an ESPN writer.

http://www.sunbeltsp...hes-poll-a.aspx

Edited by Green Jackal
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Based on the Sun Belt Coach's poll, MTSU had more points than UNT (65 to 55). True, they did not technically predict a conference winner, but since MTSU had significantly more points, MTSU would be the logical choice based on the voting. Also, you would think the coaches of the Sun Belt would have better knowledge about the teams than an ESPN writer.

Who is more impartial, a bunch of coaches from a league that we are leaving (many of them wish they were?) or an impartial writer who gets paid to make such predictions and observations for a living?

• Upvote 3

UNT was the unanimous #1 for the West just like MTSU was for the East. If I'm reading it correctly, 55 was the max possible for UNT to get in that poll.

You're kind of splitting hairs with this argument. Most coaches believe that if you win the conference you are the team to beat until proven otherwise. This pick of MTSU might have been more obligatory than it was saying they have better talent or are going to beat UNT.

• Upvote 1

The west teams have less total points overall because there are less teams in the west this year. Both teams have 11 first-place votes, but a first-place vote in the west is only worth 5 points, while a first-place vote in the east is worth 6 points. It is dumb and confusing the way they did it this year since every team plays each other twice....Nevertheless, both teams have the same amount of first place votes.

• Upvote 2

Who is more impartial, a bunch of coaches from a league that we are leaving (many of them wish they were?) or an impartial writer who gets paid to make such predictions and observations for a living?

Bilas is on our side. I love how much he tries to know about the non-Big 6ers. But I'm not going to believe he knows more about our league than a bunch of our coaches.

Am I the only one that thinks it is ridiculous NT would be subject to animosity from the coaches because we're on our way out? What are the politics behind that? It seems stupid and childish to me (the purported coaches' behavior, not the believe that it is there). Any one of those coaches would jump at the chance to be in our CUSA-bound shoes...so hypocritical.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1