UNT BBall Tip Off Party Observations

GrandGreen

Great Crowd, bigger than most games I've seen there

This team is incredibly deep

One short scrimmage doesn't mean much but some player observations

Mitchell is Mitchell but he wasn't the best player in this scrimmage

Chris Jones looked fantastic, he had a couple of dunks and really looked better than last year when he would have been all conference

Holmen looked the best I have seen him, he actually played very well inside

Coleman is huge and can play

Outlander is apparently NT's best outside shooter

Franklin looked like a new player to me, much quicker

Alzee Williams guarding Jones was a great match

Patton also can play, looks like a compete player

Jordan Williams had his usual great dunks

Taylor didn't play and I don't think Hardwick did

It is going to be hard to guess the starters this year

Have the dunk contest before the scrimmage

• Upvote 2

It's going to be the 5 & 13 show this year. Those two are on another level. What's amazing is that, if you took those two out, I still think this team wins the belt.

Some things I noticed.

Coleman is huge but about the same height as Mitchell.

Overlander can really shoot it. They weren't playing defense so who knows if he can get minutes, but he can really, really shoot it.

Most athletic NT team I have ever seen and it's not even close

Hardwick didn't play.

Mitchell has improved his jump shot, much quicker release.

I'm not sure who has improved more since last year, 5 or 13.

They didn't have 13 jerseys for sale at the souvenirs, but they did have 14, even tough we don't have a 14. :(

Food was Papa John's Pizza, Pizza Inn desert Pizza, Hot dogs, Beth Marie's Ice Cream Cone and free sodas from concessions. I heard metzler's name announced but didn't see food.

The event went like this for those who missed it (may have a few things out of order)

Drum Line played.

Women's team intro.

Coach spoke saying we needed to make this a homecourt advantage and the team would play harder than we cheered.

Women scrimmage for 15.

2 guys got 3 half court shots for $250. The 2nd guy made it on his 1st attempt, nothing but net.

Cheerleaders did a routine.

Dancers did a routine.

Celebrity Free throw shooting contest. George Dunham won with 3 of 5 beating RV who was 2 of 5

Intro Men's team

Benford spoke and said during 21 years of his coaching career he had never seen this many people at Midnight Madness. Also, one of the team goals was to win every home game, and they needed our help.

Men's team warm up. This was maybe the most interesting part. They ran drills the entire warm up, even running defensive drills. No standing around and shooting like JJ's team. Just different but fun to watch (yes I'm a BK dork)

Men's scrimmage. It was like an NBA all-star game in that not much defense was played. For example, Chris Jones threw the ball off the backboard and dunked during the scrimmage. It was fun to watch.

3 pt shooting contest. 1 woman and 1 men player in two teams. It was McCoy and Walton, VS. Girl from Aledo can't remember her name and Overlander.

They each shot 10 shots. The teams tied with basically Overlander leading his team with 6 makes and McCoy her team with 6 makes. So those two went best out of three from the top of the key. McCoy and Overlander each made 2 of 3. So they moved back to the N in North about 25 feet out. Overlander missed all 3, McCoy made her 1st and ballgame.

Then the dunk contest.

Coleman, Holman, Jordan and Mitchell. There were a lot of misses, but they let them go until they made two. Jordan and Mitchell made it to the final. Jordan won with a perfect score. Lots of kids running video on the dunk contest.

Huge crowd, I'd guess 2,500. I was thinking I'd been to games a few years ago with less people. There was more but that's all I can remember for now.

Now I have to wait a month for a game. Cannot wait.

• Upvote 5

Great night - what can you say...team is so damn talented it is amazing. Chris and Tony show this season as others have said but there were so many others that made their presence known tonight. I was pleasantly surprised at Coleman - he is a physical specimen and seems to have a nicer offensive game than some have thought. Patton played well but I thought Holman had the best showing in the scrimmage. Jordan Williams is just so fun to watch with his spectacular dunks. I liked Overlander's stroke he could help us. Roger looked like he is slimmed down, seems to have gained some quickness and Niko didn't look bad either. Chemistry is the key but the pieces are there. Great event and good crowd. Never been so excited about basketball season. Oak street bar rocks btw, good to hang with some GMG faithful there tonight. I'm loading some pics which I will try to have up by tomorrow. GMG!

Very impressed with Coleman. He looks ready to be a big bad dude on D. On the dev's ad side, I'm still a little concerned about our outside shooting. Yes, this was a dunkathon with only cursory D, but I'm really hoping that JW and CJ come through in that area. If not, we may be seeing more of Overlander than expected. A very enjoyable night overall, except that we arrived hungry at 7:15 and still managed to miss out on the pizza and hot dogs.

• Upvote 1

Very impressed with Coleman. He looks ready to be a big bad dude on D. On the dev's ad side, I'm still a little concerned about our outside shooting. Yes, this was a dunkathon with only cursory D, but I'm really hoping that JW and CJ come through in that area. If not, we may be seeing more of Overlander than expected. A very enjoyable night overall, except that we arrived hungry at 7:15 and still managed to miss out on the pizza and hot dogs.

CJ and JW drop threes all day long in the rec.

• Upvote 1

2 words: Keith Coleman. The guy is an absolute physical specimen. Rubit will have his hands full, and not with Tony Mitchell. Dude is huge and a freak athlete. VERY quick/explosive for a 6'10" 260lb guy. I think his addition takes UNT to a different level.

I know this was a fun scrimmage for the fans, so I doubt they were playing at 100%, but some other observations...

Tony Mitchell just does what he wants, when he wants, we know what we're getting with this guy. He can be at the top of the key, then 2 steps & 1 second later, he's dunking. Insane.

Chris Jones just decided at times to take over the game, and he did. No one could stop him. Inside, outside, it didn't matter. I was probably most impressed with him last night out of all the guys.

Jordan Williams looks bigger than he was last year. He still doesn't move to the basket with the ball unless he's on the baseline. No one better on our team in transition though. He just knows exactly where to be at the exact time to be there either for an open jumper, or an electrifying ally-oop dunk.

Justin Patton plays with hustle. I like him. This was the first time I got to see him play.

Alzee Williams wasn't really clamping down on CJ, so I know he wasn't giving his full effort, but I thought it was odd they put him at the point on the green team instead of P.J. I wonder if P.J. is hurt?

Jacob Holeman is improved. He was making some great decisions with the ball, rather than just chucking up a shot.

Roger Franklin was kindof exposed last night. He is the vocal leader of the team, but he was having a hard time with Jordan. Then, he wasn't hitting any of his jumpers. Hopefully just a bad night.

For the White team:

I was surprised to watch Alzee bring the ball up with Tony next to him, not already set in the block. Then, there were several times when Tony took the ball at the top and directed the offense. When he did, the offense was so dangerous. He pulled Keith out there with him which left no one in the middle to clog the lane leading to some crazy dunks by Jordan when Coleman was not in there. Or Tony would take 2-3 steps right by Coleman and throw down himself. That is scary. There are so many options to put the ball in the basket on this team...

For the Green team:

Again, it was the Chris Jones show. Whenever the White team would start to open up a lead, he would push the ball and create a shot for himself or for an open man, which a few times was a wide-open Overlander. Money. He was looking for Coleman often, and when Chris found him within 8ft of the basket, he was unstoppable if Tony wasn't guarding him.

Laura McCoy was on fire during the 3pt competition.

Like I said in a previous post, Coleman threw down some killer dunks, but since he's so big, it didn't look like he was flying as high as Jordan or Tony, so his dunks were not as "impressive". But they really were...

I think the scrimmage wore-out the dunkers as you could tell they were just out of gas. Jordan rightfully won, but if Tony would have got the dunk he was trying with CJ passing it off the rim, it would have been no contest... he was just tired.

So pumped for the Creighton game and the rest of the season!

From what I've gathered, PJ has a minor groin issue that kept him out of the scrimmage.

No TJ Taylor opens playing time back up for Walton/Overlander...I've seen some positive reviews on Overlander (good stroke, fitter than HS tape), but the only thing I've read mentioned on Walton is that he looks a bit more swole-up. Anyone have a take on Walton's play last night?

• Upvote 1

Also forgot to mention the verbal from Seguin was there as was a kid they were paying a lot of attention to from Kimball who NT03 spotted and knew of. NT03 can elaborate more.

Was one of these kids wearing a dark red shirt and staying near the men's bench? He was HUGE. He walked by me and I swear his waist was at my eye level. And I'm not a shorty.

We had a blast last night. Got to meet Coach Benford, heck of a nice guy. We spoke to a former player who came to watch and he had lots of good things to say about coach.

Edited by RushnStudies

From what I've gathered, PJ has a minor groin issue that kept him out of the scrimmage.

No TJ Taylor opens playing time back up for Walton/Overlander...I've seen some positive reviews on Overlander (good stroke, fitter than HS tape), but the only thing I've read mentioned on Walton is that he looks a bit more swole-up. Anyone have a take on Walton's play last night?

Still got his stroke (although it was off during the 3pt competition). He and Overlander traded 3's last night. He still has a nice handle as well. He was on the White team, so he didn't really get a chance to shine since they were loaded with Tony, Jordan, and Alzee.

A few women's team observations

Lots of new faces

Godbolt and Hyder ( someone I really wanted to see play) were held out

Thought the best players in brief scrimmage were McCoy, Winn and Hooker

Unfortunately Winn and Hooker are both transfers and not eligible this year

Surprised Dawkins who was lauded as a point by Aston, was not playing that position

McCoy and Christian (not big on mohawks for ether sex) were the points

McCoy's play based on a small sample has gotten much better

Christian had best assist of scrimmage

Field goal percentage was bad

Arcel Tac, a freshman and tallest player on team at 6'1 was thin but looked very athletic

This also looks like a deep team but near at the talent level of the men

Like the men's scrimmage there was not much defense

Team is trying to run more, but definitely a work in progress

I believe this team will be significantly better than last year's who started well but caved at the end of the season

Edited by GrandGreen

A few women's team observations

Lots of new faces

Godbolt and Hyder ( someone I really wanted to see play) were held out

Thought the best players in brief scrimmage were McCoy, Winn and Hooker

Unfortunately Winn and Hooker are both transfers and not eligible this year

Surprised Dawkins who was lauded as a point by Aston, was not playing that position

McCoy and Christian (not big on mohawks for ether sex) were the points

McCoy's play based on a small sample has gotten much better

Christian had best assist of scrimmage

Field goal percentage was bad

Arcel Tac, a freshman and tallest player on team at 6'1 was thin but looked very athletic

This also looks like a deep team but near at the talent level of the men

Like the men's scrimmage there was not much defense

Team is trying to run more, but definitely a work in progress

I believe this team will be significantly better than last year's who started well but caved at the end of the season

Did Peterson take a technical foul at a critical point in the scrimmage?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Not gonna lie, got goosebumps reading through a lot of the observations. Don't worry Coach Benford, I'll be at all the games to help contribute to the home-court advantage. I don't think chemistry will be a problem as these guys seem real close (at least through Twitter observations) and they have spent the summer together. Heck, Tony was not even allowed to practice this time last year.

Ready for this exhibition game in a couple of weeks so I can see it first-hand! Should be a little more defense played, even though the competition won't be anything like what Creighton will bring.

Some follow up on men's observations. Holmen really impressed me at least in the first portion of the scrimmage He played down low and I bet he was the leading rebounder. He didn't slid to the outside for the inevitable threes till late. Walton who I didn't mention earlier had a good game and hit a couple of threes. Niko also looked in better shape.

I wasn't unusually impressed with Mitchell other than a couple of drives to the basket. I think he could have done that on every possession had he desired. I don't anyone in the Belt can stop him, and if they do double him just pass it off for an easy shot.

Coleman can be very effective just by hovering around the basket for easy dunks or lay ins. This guy could be bad news in CUSA.

I wondered about Patton and Walton because they seemed to be damned by faint praise in the Benford start of practice interview. Walton was very good at the end of last year and appears to have improved. Patton is the type of player that just seems to make plays. He can run and although no one really played defense in the scrimmage, I think he could be be very good at it.

Overlander is a player not only a designated three guy. He runs the court well and gets in the right position.

Franklin who I thought would have a tough time getting minutes and he still may but he really had some good moves to the basket. I don't see him as being the post up player he was last year often. However, with his new found quickness he may get a lot of time at the three position.

If everyone stays healthy and the players work together, this could be the year. Mitchell is the no doubt an once in a lifetime type star for NT but Jordan Williams and Chris Jones could also be HOF type of NT players. Mitchell, Jones, J. Williams, A. Williams, Patton, Franklin, Niko, Holmen, Walton and Coleman. Pick your starting five and then look at what left. I think if those second tier players were the starting five, they could still be one of the better NT teams. Probably not championship caliber but could finish in the first half of the Belt and probably beat JJ's first NT teams easily.

Also noticed that both the men's and women's teams looked stronger and much more solid...apprears that both have been in the gym working out HARD over the off season. No team looks to be able to puch our women arioound this yearr...and the arms and upper bodies on the men were much more defined...in my opinion...than last year.

Both teams looked stronger and faster to me. Looked like Tony's "first step" was better...Colman is going to be a beast inside...something that UNT needs...Holman looked to me to be a "better and improved version" over last year. This is going to be fun!

McCoy looked much more solid with the ball...agree with GrandGreen that the running part is still a work in progress. Also agree with Grand about the Mohawk hairdo...but, heck...kids...give 'em their due and let him play. Hair grows and gets cut....but, one does have to wonder about some styles...Ha! maybe I should get a Mohawk and show it off at the first home game. Seriously...not going to happen. Book that one Danno!

GREAT event last night....big crowd...lots of fun. Great to see Overlander's first (OF MANY) three's.....

Great night - what can you say...team is so damn talented it is amazing. Chris and Tony show this season as others have said but there were so many others that made their presence known tonight. I was pleasantly surprised at Coleman - he is a physical specimen and seems to have a nicer offensive game than some have thought. Patton played well but I thought Holman had the best showing in the scrimmage. Jordan Williams is just so fun to watch with his spectacular dunks. I liked Overlander's stroke he could help us. Roger looked like he is slimmed down, seems to have gained some quickness and Niko didn't look bad either. Chemistry is the key but the pieces are there. Great event and good crowd. Never been so excited about basketball season. Oak street bar rocks btw, good to hang with some GMG faithful there tonight. I'm loading some pics which I will try to have up by tomorrow. GMG!

Dude, looked for you at OSDH&CP and never saw you.

On the basketball tip - Coleman runs the floor really well.