Our offensive output tonight was impressive

H-towngreen

This is very bad. Today the absence of Power and Smith to block on the edges showed up. It's not Canales' fault; his hands are very tied by the QB's limitations. Where is 81 at? He was solid last year. This is just very very bad. Thank goodness for the improved defense!

81 has been busy blocking this year.

1. We have 2, sometimes 3 capable backs with an offensive line that should be able to make more holes. But, when your qb isn't accurate, it's easy to stack a line.

2. See 1, qb is innacurate and limits what can be done.

3. you're right, our qb isn't accurate. That's why we throw a lot of screens, and still are incomplete.

4. Our personnel is not conducive to dodge ball any longer. We do not have more WR, unless you want to get out on the field and catch a ball. Tell me this: How many of our WR on the roster now were offered schollys prior to stepping on campus?

Wrong!

Thompson is making Canales look bad. Rush isn't working. Not Canales' fault. Thompson can't even throw screens properly now.

Agree. I thought Thompson would be serviceable going into the season. Saw enough out of last year to think he'd elevate his game this season. I really wanted for him to be better, but it seems he's regressed. Not trying to attack the guy, I hope he gets it together, we need him to be better. I want him to be better.

• Upvote 1

I think our offense can be creative while keeping the passes inside 15 yards (see k-state game). The offense has been lacking the last two games partly because a drop in the level of play by the o-line, but mainly because of uninspiring play calling by canales. The offense looked so good against ksu because he took that jet sweep play and fake the draw and pass to chancellor in the flat, orfake the sweep and run the draw or fake all three and throw back to the rb. That was genius because we kept them on their toes and they couldn't dig in against us. We need more of that. Also, the shuffle pass has never failed to my recollection and we hardly use it.

He needs to step it up. I expect to see better from him this week at Houston, he seems to save his best for the bigger named teams for some reason.

He wasn't this bad last year was he? Or am I just remembering it wrong. Seemed like he has gotten worse.

Not sure he is worse per say. Last year he had Dunbar covering up his defeciencies. Defenses had to sell out to stop Dunbar no matter the down and distance in most cases and it kept a lot of things open for Thompson that isn't open for him this year

I don't believe our current offense can win many games this season. Our redzone issues are a nightmare. We just struggled to beat FAU. Unless they turn out to be a title contender this season, I say we are in trouble. Why wasn't a JC QB brought in after last season?

Our Defense is good, but it's not reasonable to expect them to hold every Belt team to 14 points.

Great job Defense and Special Teams! Glad to see Olen back on track and Chancellor returning punts when he can.

I can't believe we got 3 red zone chances on one drive and only came up with 3 points. Credit to Olen for kicking 9 points worth, but when that opportunity presents itself against that team and you piss it away like that...

I don't care if it's against the best defense in the nation, our offense should be able to do something when you get 3 looks at it.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 2

He wasn't this bad last year was he? Or am I just remembering it wrong. Seemed like he has gotten worse.

He's always played this way. Difference is last year he was given a pass for being "young". No excuses this year. He's not a starting caliber FBS QB. This will be a long year if special teams and the running game can't deliver consistently every single game.

• Upvote 1

I still believe adjustments can be made with the offense. Come on guys keep the faith. Lets build

on the positives of this win. The offense may just need to be serviceable with a defense that is

playing like ours.

GMG

The coaches were trying to mix it up but FAU had some decent speed. They got to everything pretty quickly but I still think some of it was because of their speed. We were playing a Florida school which has some athletes. The team as a whole is not great but there were some individual players on that squad and they made us work for this W.

I guess I was just thrilled to see the W because this team needed it bad. We really need both of these because our Belt slate is a beast. WKU, Middle and Monroe all on the road is going to be very challenging. I'll take 2-3 and we have revenge on the horizon.

GMG

Pathetic offense. Look at the other belt teams. Gonna be a long year

absolutely pathetic....get ready to have ass kicked by WKU, La Monroe, et al. Play calling not so good...TD...well you know. What about the 5-7 yd slant?...try that guys...and those bubble screens, when we need 7-8 yds...not liking it....our def looked pretty good, but this offense is just anemic.
  • Upvote 1

Our offense is sad. I just can't describe all of the opportunities they get and end up blowing them away. DT and some others will have to step it up big time if they want to get to a bowl game. The only team I see us with a fair shot at winning if we continue to play like this is USA. We better improve, and fast. Defense is getting better but needs to continue getting better, especially with the way our offense is performing.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1

Open your eyes, this isn't a Canales offense. He's got 3 guys in his ear telling him to run. Because of this, our offense is predictable. And stop blaming Thompson. On the pick, Delgado was supposed to run a slant, and ran the wrong route(he gets a little blame for that, but not 100%). Thompson threw 2 perfect deep balls today, but as soon as we get a lead, it's right back to running the ball and being predictable. Thompson has been bad at times this year, but today was not one of those days. Mac needs to take the cuffs off Chico, and let him work. Until that happens, this is the offense you're gonna see every week. /rant

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

Open your eyes, this isn't a Canales offense. He's got 3 guys in his ear telling him to run. Because of this, our offense is predictable. And stop blaming Thompson. On the pick, Delgado was supposed to run a slant, and ran the wrong route(he gets a little blame for that, but not 100%). Thompson threw 2 perfect deep balls today, but as soon as we get a lead, it's right back to running the ball and being predictable. Thompson has been bad at times this year, but today was not one of those days. Mac needs to take the cuffs off Chico, and let him work. Until that happens, this is the offense you're gonna see every week. /rant

Go Mean Green!

yes...the play calling sucks and when we get a lead...conservative...then we get hammered,...now behind...too slow to develop the urgency we need...we lose...too little too late...I could see this plan in place in the first qtr against Troy...almost happened tonight...so is Mac not able to see the problem....most the people on this board seem to be able to see it. Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Upvote 1